Unofficial Preview Richmond vs North - First of 3 Practice Games

During which quarter do we decide to Sack Dimma Marley?

• 1st

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • 2nd

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 3rd

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 4th

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 5th

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 6th

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • After he breaks the 2 puff max rule before passing it on

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • When he pulls out the Ruby chop to mix with his Spiff

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Taps to advantage is just one area at stoppages. What Nank gives in terms of aggression and physically is more important then a tap to advantage in my opinion. His help defensively is also extremely underrated.

People fall in love with the picture perfect ruckman taps to mid who kicks to forward who kicks goal.
But in reality, 90% of stoppages aren’t pretty and you need dogs in their fighting.
Remember that game against Port a few years ago when Nank smashed their big bodied mids who had previously smashed us. From memory Nank was the leading tackler and clearance player on the ground, or near to it. He is like having a 100kg+ mid around the ball at times, and they know he is coming, so there is an element of perceived pressure that must be unsettling to a degree. Mark Lee had it, Neil Balme. Nank just makes you earn it fairly fairly.

Cumberland, Dow, Soldo, Campbell all did well in periods 5 and 6 with Cumberland the stand out for mine. Biggie and Steely did some nice things too.

Maybe I'm nuts but I thought Mansell did some excellent things. His kick set up Martin's dribble goal, a kick into the corridor of his set up another goal. He was everywhere.

Brown impressed, Ryan definitely put on more size. Clarke is a gem.

Taranto and Hopper is so exciting. I'd like to see Soldo tapping down to those guys and see how it influences our work.

Taps to advantage is just one area at stoppages. What Nank gives in terms of aggression and physically is more important then a tap to advantage in my opinion. His help defensively is also extremely underrated.

People fall in love with the picture perfect ruckman taps to mid who kicks to forward who kicks goal.
But in reality, 90% of stoppages aren’t pretty and you need dogs in their fighting.
Yeh but he doesnt give first use with his taps and taranto/hopper can do the bull work now instead of nank slowing chasing

Cumberland, Dow, Soldo, Campbell all did well in periods 5 and 6 with Cumberland the stand out for mine. Biggie and Steely did some nice things too.

Maybe I'm nuts but I thought Mansell did some excellent things. His kick set up Martin's dribble goal, a kick into the corridor of his set up another goal. He was everywhere.

Brown impressed, Ryan definitely put on more size. Clarke is a gem.

Taranto and Hopper is so exciting. I'd like to see Soldo tapping down to those guys and see how it influences our work.

Sorry to break it to you but it was Clarke that intercepted the ball and kicked the long ball to Martin. The commentator was hopeless and called Mansell but you could see Mansell just standing there and the raking left boot should have given it away. Clarke did some really great things, Mansell worked hard but looked undisciplined, almost every contest he goes into he’s a chance to give away a free.

The work ethic of Clarke was also supreme, his work to go from half back to get an easy goal was supreme.

Taranto, I’m having something on him for the Brownlow. Super fit, will play mid and kick goals.

Ryan and Clarke were impressive. Seth Campbell is a smoothhhh mover.

Lot’s of our senior lads going half pace out there today.

Not sure what to read into Cumbos lack of game time . I’m a fan. We will have a plethora of medium, small forwards this year.

Few things I noticed...
Early doors we were scrappy. Which is understandable and expected. Took a while to steady.
Centre clearance appeared to still be a weakness. If, as I expect we will, persist with Nank as our number one ruck, our mids will need to be putting in a lot of time learning how to read the tap of the opposing ruckman. If we have the intention of being a more clearance focused team, there's still work to be done there.

You could see how potentially dangerous we could be this year based on where our score sources were coming from. We had an even spread and what I found particularly intriguing is the focus Dusty demands when he is in the forward line. For Ryan's first goal, Dusty drew two North defenders, they weren't able to kill it and Ryan was able to stroll in for an open goal.
When Lynch plays, defenders won't be able to double up against Martin because if they do, Lynch or any one of our forwards could get off the leash and kick a bag.

Taranto and Hopper seemed to fit in seamlessly. The latter showing on multiple occasions a level of poise that is rarely seen at Richmond and the former just popping up everywhere through sheer work rate. Granted it was a pre-season game but the knock on Taranto being his inaccuracy by foot appeared to be a myth as he was arguably the most incisive player on the field. Whether it be field kicking or goal kicking. He was unlucky to miss a couple shots on goal, as others have said, striking the post on a couple of occasions.

I didn't focus too much on our defensive set ups, but it was slightly concerning the rate at which North was able to not only score early doors, but also get it inside our defensive 50 with relative ease. The wind seemed to cause havoc and it allowed Sheezel to show why he was drafted when he was. They've got a player there.
Balta was good and felt like he was the main man down there, but again my focus really wasn't there.

I did want to highlight a few individual performances, Mansell was very good. He is still like a bull at a gate defensively but he showed some great foot skills today. Actually surprised me with his performance.
Clarke was another. Bit of a work horse this kid and if he makes a mistake he tries his best to lessen the negative impact rather quickly. An example of this was when he shanked a kick that ended up being smothered, but had a couple of follow up efforts that kept the footy going our way. Knowing Dimma, this will likely get highlighted in the review.
If Taranto was the everywhere man, well then Prestia was the everywhere else man. This man just knows where to position himself in order to gain possession and his work rate is just brilliant. If we pull off a miracle and keep him fit for 19+ games this year we will be winning a lot more games than losing.

Apologies for the long winded post, didn't anticipate it would be that long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And in an extended match too, absolutely criminal.

At least we got an early start so we can make it back within a day.
Mate it is a stretch for us. Will have to take a breather and end up staying at Crown because doing that trek in one day would cause Edmund Hilary to think it was a bit much.

After that, what is the current opinions of Short in the midfield. Last year I thought he was a liability. The coaching staff seem determined to keep him there. Thoughts after this morning? Any positives? Improvement?
Short was shocking.

Few things I noticed...
Early doors we were scrappy. Which is understandable and expected. Took a while to steady.
Centre clearance appeared to still be a weakness. If, as I expect we will, persist with Nank as our number one ruck, our mids will need to be putting in a lot of time learning how to read the tap of the opposing ruckman. If we have the intention of being a more clearance focused team, there's still work to be done there.

You could see how potentially dangerous we could be this year based on where our score sources were coming from. We had an even spread and what I found particularly intriguing is the focus Dusty demands when he is in the forward line. For Ryan's first goal, Dusty drew two North defenders, they weren't able to kill it and Ryan was able to stroll in for an open goal.
When Lynch plays, defenders won't be able to double up against Martin because if they do, Lynch or any one of our forwards could get off the leash and kick a bag.

Taranto and Hopper seemed to fit in seamlessly. The latter showing on multiple occasions a level of poise that is rarely seen at Richmond and the former just popping up everywhere through sheer work rate. Granted it was a pre-season game but the knock on Taranto being his inaccuracy by foot appeared to be a myth as he was arguably the most incisive player on the field. Whether it be field kicking or goal kicking. He was unlucky to miss a couple shots on goal, as others have said, striking the post on a couple of occasions.

I didn't focus too much on our defensive set ups, but it was slightly concerning the rate at which North was able to not only score early doors, but also get it inside our defensive 50 with relative ease. The wind seemed to cause havoc and it allowed Sheezel to show why he was drafted when he was. They've got a player there.
Balta was good and felt like he was the main man down there, but again my focus really wasn't there.

I did want to highlight a few individual performances, Mansell was very good. He is still like a bull at a gate defensively but he showed some great foot skills today. Actually surprised me with his performance.
Clarke was another. Bit of a work horse this kid and if he makes a mistake he tries his best to lessen the negative impact rather quickly. An example of this was when he shanked a kick that ended up being smothered, but had a couple of follow up efforts that kept the footy going our way. Knowing Dimma, this will likely get highlighted in the review.
If Taranto was the everywhere man, well then Prestia was the everywhere else man. This man just knows where to position himself in order to gain possession and his work rate is just brilliant. If we pull off a miracle and keep him fit for 19+ games this year we will be winning a lot more games than losing.

Apologies for the long winded post, didn't anticipate it would be that long.

Great. post mate.

If you look like your avatar you can post long all night long.

Yeah he’s got a great boot on him, no doubt he isn’t perfect but in terms of what he offers overall he’s our best choice of number 1 ruck
Holds his own in the hitouts but is legitimately plays like an extra midfielder
Pity some people don't see this.
How many flags has Melb won with Gawn?
We won 3 flags with Nank not being a hit out King.
He's worth more than just hit outs.

Great. post mate.

If you look like your avatar you can post long all night long.
Lol I don't and I'm also just a thirsty dude that thinks Gal Gadot in the fourth Fast and Furious movie is the pinnacle of female attractiveness.

Of the draftees I thought Campbell showed quite a bit.
F8542F25-D2A3-457E-B5B7-7E3CCD06BA3F.jpeg

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Richmond vs North - First of 3 Practice Games

Back