Richmond, what were they thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

What were Richmond thinking????

Should be absolutely thrilled with their 4th round selection in Daniel Connors at pick 58 overal. True Freak of the Game! has the ability to take a one handed specky over the top of Aaron Sandilands!! A natural knack for the game...All other 15 clubs are should be spewing for not snapping him up with their first round pick....Easily the most promising player of all the 06 Richmond draftees. Awesome player and will be around for a long time!

Hi Daniel.

Should be absolutely thrilled with their 4th round selection in Daniel Connors at pick 58 overal. True Freak of the Game! has the ability to take a one handed specky over the top of Aaron Sandilands!! A natural knack for the game...All other 15 clubs are should be spewing for not snapping him up with their first round pick....Easily the most promising player of all the 06 Richmond draftees. Awesome player and will be around for a long time!

Spot on :D :thumbsu:

Everything I have seen about him makes me so excited... how did he drop so late?! I know at least one draft board had him going at #6 - he'll be a gun.

If he dropped for the reason I think then Richmond have nothing to worry about, although I'd really like to see a one handed speccie over Sandilands. If he fires he'll be a potential 200+ gamer for the mighty Tiges. Hopefully Cogs can come back to share the midfield

Agreed

I agree Daniel, your pretty good.

But Shane Edwards > Daniel Connors

I agree Daniel, your pretty good.
But Shane Edwards > Daniel Connors

ha...righto, enough on the thinking meat head is daniel though...saw a lot of him in the championships last year and was very impressed....maybe some of who are posting this comments should actually look at some games of these players instead of just reading the paper....anyone can copy and paste what they've read in an article

Exactly, and even if you can't make it to the games there is still footage on the net.

Check this out: http://www.puntroadend.com/movies/Connors.mpg

!!!!!!!!!

That is gold, Dal Santo is starting to look second rate all of a sudden ;)

Before the "need an athlete" mentality which is expressed in the draft camp Connors was rated one of the best midfielders in the best draft ever...

So what, he can't run fast. Who cares, we also have Deledio!! :D Oh, and Tambling, Meyer, JON and Foley... all super fast. Bring on 2007 we're going to the top sooner or later with this list.

some great footage there benny, anyone who still thinks he's not that good should be ashamed of themselves...remember too that he's playing against the best u18 kids in australia there....not just blokes struggling to get a kick in sanfl

That is gold, Dal Santo is starting to look second rate all of a sudden ;)
Dal Santo was drafted in the first round or thereabouts and the odds of a player drafted at pick 59 making it are remote.
Before the "need an athlete" mentality which is expressed in the draft camp Connors was rated one of the best midfielders in the best draft ever...
If Connors was such a great midfielder, why did he fall so far? :confused:

The recruiters don't just look at the draft camp when making their choices. :rolleyes:

Other players may have kept playing well post U18 championships. ;)
So what, he can't run fast. Who cares, we also have Deledio!! :D Oh, and Tambling, Meyer, JON and Foley... all super fast. Bring on 2007 we're going to the top sooner or later with this list.
How many can win the ball? :p

Dal Santo was drafted in the first round or thereabouts and the odds of a player drafted at pick 59 making it are remote.
If Connors was such a great midfielder, why did he fall so far? :confused:

The recruiters don't just look at the draft camp when making their choices. :rolleyes:

Other players may have kept playing well post U18 championships. ;)

How many can win the ball? :p

making it after being drafted at 59 remote?
2000 national draftees
No. 40 Chris Hyde
No. 41 Andrew Krakouer
No. 43 Mark Williams
No. 44 Josh Hunt
No. 49 Shane Wakelin
No. 50 Domenic Cassisi
No. 52 Amon Buchanan
No. 53 Hayden Skipworth
No. 55 Chris Newman
No. 56 Daniel Cross
No. 58 Nathon Lonie
No. 60 Corey Jones
No. 66 Scott Thornton
No. 67 Graham Johncock
No. 70 Wayde Skipper

That list of players doesn't look too bad

The reason daniel fell so far was because there was concern on his fitness and his speed. which was caused because through a minor ankle injury which richmond became aware of after they drafted him.

And it doesn't take a genius to realise that recruiters dont just look at the draft camp....if that was the case, connors mightn't have been drafted at all...obviously he was drafted because he is a freak player, and recruiters know what he is capable of. but of course recruiters would be put off from slow times at the draft camp.

And as for, not being able to win the ball....i think the footage which benny posted is proof enough that he can win the ball, and knows how to use it!

Can any Tigers supporters give an opinion on how Shane Edwards has played in the trial games so far? As a Port supporter i was a little disappointed we passed on him in the second round of the draft (but getting Krakouer in the 3rd round made up for it somewhat).

Can any Tigers supporters give an opinion on how Shane Edwards has played in the trial games so far? As a Port supporter i was a little disappointed we passed on him in the second round of the draft (but getting Krakouer in the 3rd round made up for it somewhat).

So far he's been or most impressive draftee and was looking to get into the team before the Geelong game but got injured.

He's got brilliant speed and is great around the stoppages, needs to get bigger and work on his kicking under pressure but is a fantastic talent.

My mate who follows the Crows had him penciled in as their first pick but Sellar fell, hes a massive wrap for Edwards so Im happy. Boy the kid can run and run hard all day!

He was BOG (as stated by AFL website) in our first match of the season but due to injury didn't do NAB Cup.

About Connors does anyone know if that rumour about his association with something is true? If so then that would explain some of his fall, and imo if it were true it didn't even sound like a slur on his character.

I am still shocked he fell so far. If draft camp times aren't the sole reason for his fall then I guess it's possible attitude was a role... but all reports are that he's a good bloke.

Btw to the Carlton fan who said it's rare for a player drafted at 59 (Connors was 58 btw..) to be any good... you guys drafted Simpson I think with pick 55. He's a gun. Richmond got Chris Newman late.

Gee, Andrew Raines at 76 and Shane Tuck at 73 show that Richmond have a knack for finding good players with late picks!!

Based on pure football ability on the field, Connors was rated as high as #6 in mock drafts. He's got something going for him that's for sure!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

based on what exactly? Potential??? What have they actually achieved considering they've never pulled on an AFL jumper compared to Polak who's played 70 games and was runner up in the rising star from the 01 superdraft?

Agreed.

01 Super Draft consisted of flops such as:

#5 X Clarke
#6 Sampi
#9 Molan
#14 Watson
#15 Brooks

AND winners such as :

#13 Dal Santo
#17 Kelly
#21 Maguire
#22 Seaby
#36 Mitchell

To think that Richmond has lost much (if anything) by losing 5 spots in the draft is laughable.

About Connors does anyone know if that rumour about his association with something is true? If so then that would explain some of his fall, and imo if it were true it didn't even sound like a slur on his character.

I am still shocked he fell so far. If draft camp times aren't the sole reason for his fall then I guess it's possible attitude was a role... but all reports are that he's a good bloke.

Connors killed it in the championships and most would have had him as a 1st round selection, but a lot of football is played after the Championships and DC's form dropped off pretty markedly in his TAC Cup games. People expect that this is the time when young blokes should be throwing everything into their footy so question marks pop up when players drop off. Doesn't mean he can't go on to become a great player, from what I've seen he has all the ability in the world and was an excellent pick up

some great footage there benny, anyone who still thinks he's not that good should be ashamed of themselves...remember too that he's playing against the best u18 kids in australia there....not just blokes struggling to get a kick in sanfl
Mate the best u18 kids in Australia get flogged by country footy players so 99% of them wouldnt have a chance of getting a kick in the SANFL

Collingwood drafted Ben Reid with pick no. 8, he is coming along well, has put on 5 kgs already and is in line for rd 1 selection.
Saw his bother play in a basketball rep comp at Benella on the w/end.Smaller than Ben but has an awsome leap.

Mate the best u18 kids in Australia get flogged by country footy players so 99% of them wouldnt have a chance of getting a kick in the SANFL

hmm...don't know about that, most good players from the tac cup who go back to their local club carve in their local league, ie. connors.

and of course these kids wouldn't go aswell in the SANFL they are playing against blokes who are just missing a game for the two adelaide AFL teams.

and correct me if i'm wrong...but didn't vic country beat SA by about 5 goals in the championships last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond, what were they thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back