List Mgmt. Rioli to Port Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The threat of walking him to the PSD is not as significant as some might think

Anyone picking him up would have to match Port’s contract offer which quite frankly seems reckless and something other clubs would be likely to commit to
They can match the contract and if it goes to shit with him can pay him out and terminate the contract. A club like North Melbourne with plenty of cap space wouldn't be deterred by it.

Things are not good at our club, a player we stood by wants to walk is nit a good look for us as a happy group.

It’s entirely possible that Rioli was/is a factor in any unhappiness within the playing group

I wish I had your faith - there’s been so many good faith transfers we’ve given and it’s never seen to have been reciprocated - maybe Cripps, he came over for the proverbial chip packet. Cheers St Kilda.

Now’s the time to make ‘em bleed

If Chris Pelchen hadn't been such a total * flog, with the way he handled the Nathan Brown attempted heist, then the Saints may well have got something much better by way of a deal for Cripps.

Deal eventually went through as a stand alone deal just minutes before the trade deadline.... Cripps became an Eagle.

Pelchen tried in vain to get the Brown deal over the line with a second round pick and Cripps.

We were clear that they were standalone deals ....... The irony is that Cripps ended up having a better career than Nathan Brown.

Moral of the story: If you act like a dick in negotiations be very careful that you dont end up being the *ee ......... and not the *or.

Pelchen I am sure is Adrian Dodoro super hero.

Clarko has said he was interested which is fine, but I do love the shithousery of Rioli being redrafted by West Coast in the PSD

Can you trade PSD draft picks? Get #1 just to drive the hard bargain?

Can't trade PSD picks but we could commit to taking someone in the PSD so they can start training with the club immediately, that would essentially give you pick 1. I am not sure if that scenario is likely to happen this year or not. It was more common before delisted free agency where players just registered for the PSD and not the national draft.

We've been linked to almost anyone with a pulse, so not really sure who we are realistically looking at.

Rioli really isn't that bright. This whole thing sounds like other people are telling him what to do and he'll go along with whatever. It really seems to just be about the money. We don't need that type of attitude, given it's also highly questionable that he will give 100% application in return. It sucks to lose him but I'll accept it for a second rounder.

This might be the start of a bunch of trades. Rioli said they'd planned it earlier in the year (specific words were before his Dad died), so it's likely the club has known for a bit. It will be interesting to see who else might pop up for a trade into the club.

It’s entirely possible that Rioli was/is a factor in any unhappiness within the playing group

Of course that could be the case. How would any of us really know? We are all guessing. What we have done for him really worries me why he did not wish to stay with us.
Anyway doesn’t matter as he only plays half the year. But still would of prefer to keep him.

I can understand that Rioli wants to do the best thing for his family, but show some loyalty man.

The club supported you, kept you on the list, payed you during your self inflicted ban and this year too.

I guess I’m most angry at those flogs Port. Putting that offer in front of him at a time where he was grieving his fathers passing.

Let’s ream them. No lube.

We won’t do that mate and you know we won’t. We always prefer to look good instead of doing the best thing. The good look will be giving him what he wants. That’s who our club is.

So you think we should bend over and take pick 51?

Part of the onus is on his Manager, is to have preliminary talks with a Club to ensure that the Club seeking the trade has the Trade Capital to get a deal done.

I agree our Club is as weak as any, in rolling over in trade negotiations....... that why we get * over at trade week.

Nice guys finish last.

Look in many ways I am indifferent to Junior staying or going, but fair compensation, I would have thought was a reasonable request.

Rioli really isn't that bright. This whole thing sounds like other people are telling him what to do and he'll go along with whatever. It really seems to just be about the money. We don't need that type of attitude, given it's also highly questionable that he will give 100% application in return. It sucks to lose him but I'll accept it for a second rounder.

This might be the start of a bunch of trades. Rioli said they'd planned it earlier in the year (specific words were before his Dad died), so it's likely the club has known for a bit. It will be interesting to see who else might pop up for a trade into the club.

It does sound like this has been strongly pushed by his manager... i.e. 'get yourself a 4 year contract, on good money, as you can't trust a club who only wants to give you 2 years'

It's not the first time a manager has done this, and won't be the last. But given the significant amount of leeway given to Rioli by the club due to a number of incidents, it does seem a bit disrespectful.

That said, it is now also his managers responsibility to get this trade done for a reasonable value. He's basically promised Junior a life changing contract, and TBH Junior isn't at all across the compliance/legals/structure of what that actually means (i.e. that he can't actually just sign with Port) - he said so in his statement. So provided our club is reasonable, but asking for a fair price (i.e. don't start at 2 x 1st rounders, as that is not reasonable - but something potentially downgrading their 1st - or an early-ish 2nd round would seem a reasonable starting point) then his manager better get to work.

Will be interesting where Port put his value. I get their supporters want to give 51 - but that is clearly under market value so the decision makers at Port will understand they have work to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget Bock and Gunston.

Chuck Winder in as well. Down the pecking order, and the club is just going to keep playing him out of position so I'd rather end that headache and move on.

Would love it if Petrucelle asked for a trade, but I think the bloke is just that grateful he even has an AFL career he's not going to be rocking the boat.
With Rioli heading to Port he'll get another year as the match committee count him as a small so therefore he is a forward.

I can understand that Rioli wants to do the best thing for his family, but show some loyalty man.

The club supported you, kept you on the list, payed you during your self inflicted ban and this year too.

I guess I’m most angry at those flogs Port. Putting that offer in front of him at a time where he was grieving his fathers passing.

Let’s ream them. No lube.
This all smacks of desperation from Hinkley. He knows that if Port don't play finals next year he is gonsky. Trading in Rioli and Dunkley gives him some small chance of salvaging his job.
I doubt that it will work anyway, Rioli is a week by week proposition imo and Dunkley is a good honest toiler with poor foot skills which Port already have plenty of. Port don't care about ethics in Rioli's case, they have always been a ruthless organisation, thats why all South Australians except Port supporters hate them.

So you think we should bend over and take pick 51?

Part of the onus is on his Manager, is to have preliminary talks with a Club to ensure that the Club seeking the trade has the Trade Capital to get a deal done.

I agree our Club is as weak as any, in rolling over in trade negotiations....... that why we get * over at trade week.

Nice guys finish last.

Look in many ways I am indifferent to Junior staying or going, but fair compensation, I would have thought was a reasonable request.

I agree with everything you said, my point is I think we will bend over and take whatever we can get. It’s our way of doing things.
I Woukd send him to the draft without a care in the world what he wants or what Port want. Unless a pick in the 20’s was put on the table or a sufficient player trade.

I rate his talent but the reality is he never really gets fully fit and hardly performs to his salary.

If you told me i could do the same job at another company I'm doing now, guaranteed for the next 4 years on better money, you can bet your ass I'm taking it.

Is it a dog act by Rioli? Yes. Is that also natural in a professional sporting environment that this happens? Also yes. His priority is to himself and his family, not his employer, albeit one who stood by him when he should have been sacked.

Look at it this way. If we sacked Rioli 2 years ago we'd have got nothing. Now we're at least getting a pick for it, so it was a good bit of business sticking by him regardless.

If we had sacked Rioli 2 years ago he wouldn't have an AFL career today.

He's more likely to have come back looking like fat Sampi than an AFL footballer without the clubs support and a guaranteed AFL list spot. And good luck to him if the expectation was of him to prove himself through a state league before getting back on a list.

We stood by him time and time again, kept him on our list for two years whilst this saga unfolded. Offered him support and sent minders to look after him, suspend contract talks after his father passed and he doesn’t even have the respect for the club to handle this in a more respectful manner.

Whopper Junior can **** right off of that’s his attitude. I just hope whoever is dealing with the trade has some balls and doesn’t let Port walk all over us.

This is about the principle now more than ever. If we don't stand up for ourselves and dig in hard on the trade considering these circumstances we never will.

People saying we’re a soft touch at the trade table: strikes me as a comment that you could read on most boards, most years.

When was the last time we lost a player we truly desperately wanted to keep?

Lycett? Desperate to keep him, wouldn’t think so. Handy enough but was hardly priority one of that offseason.

Selwood? Well respected but missed two years with an ankle, before heading home as a free agent.

Ebert? I think some/most fans wanted to keep him but the club barely played him, never played him in position and he was going home.

Judd’s the obvious one, and fair to say we got our return on that.

Fair chance this is the first player who has wanted out that the club showed active interest in retaining since Judd. Let’s see how they go.

The threat of walking him to the PSD is not as significant as some might think

Anyone picking him up would have to match Port’s contract offer which quite frankly seems reckless and something other clubs would be likely to commit to
If it wasn't for the size of Port's contract offer I'd 100% send him to the draft. If Port try to lowball then I'd do it anyway.

Such a depressing end at the club for a player I've loved watching. Not for the first time he's being badly advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back