List Mgmt. Rioli to Port Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No escaping what occured in 2019 but we were willing to do 3 years - another year isn't that much riskier, particularly if you build behavioural conditions into the contract.

That said, I voiced that opinion before the whole interview in Adelaide dropped. Amateur hour & completely disrespectful stuff.

I stand by the perspective that we're unlikely to replace his talent with a future second & especially not pick with 52+. We need to be staunch with port here.

I agree totally with what your saying However can't offer Rioli a long term gig with what has transpired.

Would Port do this?

In: Pick 8, Ports 2023 1st, Ken Hinkley
Out: Rioli, Jarrad Schofield

I think they’ll be using 8 in a Dunkley trade.

Our best bet is if Dunkley turns them down.
If they're interested in Dunkley and Rioli they are definitely going all the way with this group.

Geelong will be around for 2023 at least and Melbourne and Sydney look like they're going to be strong for at least the next 3-4 years.

If that is the case I think Port has an inflated view of what its list is capable of.

If they're interested in Dunkley and Rioli they are definitely going all the way with this group.

Geelong will be around for 2023 at least and Melbourne and Sydney look like they're going to be strong for at least the next 3-4 years.

If that is the case I think Port has an inflated view of what its list is capable of.

Hinkley’s out of contract next year and needs a miracle to get another one, I reckon he’s going for a hail mary.

Would Port do this?

In: Pick 8, Ports 2023 1st, Ken Hinkley
Out: Rioli, Jarrad Schofield
They'd 100% do that instantly

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Rioli, 2 and 26
For 8 and at best 8ish again?

The hardest of passes.

Yes Rioli is worth a 2nd rounder so it's the equivalent of packaging up two 2nd rounders for a first in a much stronger draft.

2 down to 8 in this draft would leave us with a choice between Phillipou or Clark either would be very good.

The way he spoke on 9 news, i got the impression this decision was made already and his Dad dieing is only complicating it because he's not there to tell Junior what to do, so he needs to think for himself.
Fk me some of the posts in here are deadset pathetic. Even getting personal. Grow up.

Anyone who thinks rioli owes the club to the point where he should take less $$ and a shorter contract due to loyalty need to come back to the real world. I'll never begrudge someone for doing what's best for thier family. This is realistically his last chance to cash in and setup his life. Lot of emotional ppl need to get off thier high horse.

The interview sure isn't a great look, but rioli has never been a guy who is capable of giving vanilla scripted responses. Different kind of cat.

And let's be real, If rioli wasn't a jet no chance eagles stuck by him. We didn't keep him as an act of goodwill. SMH.

Now all that being said. I agree with the sentiment that ports offer speaks to the volume of what they should cough up. If 51 is all they offer, a pick were unlikely to even use... then yep I'd rather he go to the psd out of principle. How we handle ourselves at the trade table is something we have control over and sometimes you need to put a line in the sand.

If he does pick port I bet it ends up being a future 2nd.
This notion that we wouldn't have stuck by him if he wasn't a jet is irrelevant but also untrue. We've stuck by numerous players. Murry Newman springs to mind. Not a jet by a long shot. We kept him on the list while he was in jail! Venebles another.... was obviously cooked. They kept him going....Rioli does owe WCE. If you want to leave, then leave... but work with the club to get a win / win result. It's the least he can do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pissed

Not necessarily because Rioli looks likely to ask for a trade - at his age this is his last chance to cash in on a good contract and like any footballer he’s entitled to seek the best deal possible. If that happens to be Port then so be it, he’s not the first player to leave for a better deal and as supporters we’re more than happy if a player wants to come here

So requesting a trade isn’t the issue

The way he’s gone about it after his history with the club absolutely is though. Consider the following :

• In 2019, in the lead up to finals no less, he was smoking dope in significant quantities
• He deliberately tampered with a urine sample after training and again after the Essendon game to avoid detection. He would later test positive from the Essendon game after being forced to provide a correct sample
• On neither occasion did he alert anyone at the club that there might be a problem resulting in the club being completely blindsided on the eve of a final without any opportunity to have a contingency plan in place. The resulting fallout arguably cost us that game and a spot in a prelim final
• After being given the opportunity to return to the Tiwi islands whilst waiting his case to be heard, he continued to use and was ultimately caught trying to smuggle drugs through an airport
• For the majority of his enforced absence from playing he was actually allowed to be at the club as a formal charge was slow to be laid. The club could have asked him to stay in Perth to better keep an eye on him and to maintain fitness but instead allowed him to go home as they saw it as a better option for his well being

Now despite all of the above, the club never criticised him publicly and gave him nothing but their full support. They took all the heat from people who believed they were being too soft on him and would’ve have sacked him.

What he was or wasn’t paid under his contract isn’t known but he was supported at some level and the club handled his legal defence on the tampering charges

With all that, rather than being open and honest with the club about seeking a change of environment (something he told the Adelaide reporter he was considering BEFORE his fathers death) he was discussing terms with other clubs whilst WCE had suspended negotiations due to his bereavement.

To say he’s been duplicitous is an understatement and has thrown the club’s loyalty to him in their face. It’s rare that a player can be truly said to owe a football club but Rioli at a minimum owed the Eagles some good faith and I suggest it’s more than just that

The instability he talks about is entirely of his own doing and with his record the club was well justified in imposing contract conditions

I’m not sure the club have done anything wrong here but I do wonder if things get to this stage if we had a full time list manager based in Perth

As it transpires we’ll have got 2 good years out of 6 from his time at the club and some wonderful highlights including being part of a premiership. I loved watching him play but on balance he’s done more harm than good during those 6 years

It’s on the club now to extract as good a trade deal as they can - whatever they get in FA compensation for Amon is both fair and realistic. If Port think he’s worth a 4 year contract, then he’s worth a low to mid 20’s draft pick

What are the rules with these contracts?

If Willie signs with Port for 4 years and just quits football do they have to pay him out?

Listening to him feels like he would do this. Just get that contract signed and jump on a plane to T.I.

If he quits football he doesn’t get paid

If he gets done for drugs again, noting that smoking pot is no longer a WADA issue at all, and gets sacked as a result he doesn’t get paid

If he keeps turning up for 4 years but misses more games than he plays due to ongoing hamstring issues he gets paid his base contract at a minimum

If Port delist him because he isn’t performing, he gets paid out

Hinkley’s out of contract next year and needs a miracle to get another one, I reckon he’s going for a hail mary.
IMO their older players aren't good enough to sustain a flag push. Wines, Allir Allir, Boak and (formerly) Gray are guns, but we had about 8 players of a similar age bracket and quality and we won a flag by 2 points. That's how good you've gotta be to win a flag. They needed a minimum of two more in that bracket to go along with those blokes.

If next year Melbourne gets their 2021 mojo back and Sydney keeps improving, they'd both absolutely maul Port (even with Dunkley and Rioli) in a PF or GF... and that's IF Port can rebound from this year which is far from guaranteed. Geelong will be in the mix again as well. I think you're right - absolute hail mary play.

Clubs never admit their premiership assault was good, but not good enough and pull the pin early on a group. Looks like Port are going to go down the path of riding it right out which is effectively the same path we're just finishing on now but when you've got a flag in your kitbag, it makes a huge difference to the club pscyhe. You can only imagine how ****ed this board would be if not for the Dom Sheed goal...

I get why clubs don't do it. There's a lot of risk calling it early, trading older players and going to the draft where the quality of recruits is unknown. Not to mention the risk of bringing down the morale of a club by moving on players as soon as they've passed their use-by date - something we are obviously right in the middle of right now.

If this were the NFL, they'd move on 2 or 3 of their guys around 30 (Dixon probably the one with most currency), cop the ladder hit for a couple of years and get a couple of top 5 picks to go with this year's pick 8. Look to nail 2 of those 3 and bounce back up quickly. Surround Rozee, Drew, Marshall, Georgiades and Butters with at least two high-end talents who are producing whilst Wines and Allir Allir are still playing good footy (even if they've passed their peak)... But I don't recall any club going down that path in the AFL. The general consensus amongst industry types is to ride a group out to the bitter end and cop the ladder hit only when they retire (or before they retire as it happens to be in our case).

Last edited:
With all that, rather than being open and honest with the club about seeking a change of environment (something he told the Adelaide reporter he was considering BEFORE his fathers death) he was discussing terms with other clubs whilst WCE had suspended negotiations due to his bereavement.

To say he’s been duplicitous is an understatement and has thrown the club’s loyalty to him in their face
. It’s rare that a player can be truly said to owe a football club but Rioli at a minimum owed the Eagles some good faith and I suggest it’s more than just that
I agree with all you said in your very comprehensive summary.

But this is the bit that really rubs me the wrong way.
All the bending over backwards the club did to support him, give him time to grieve, give him space etc. and he just behaves appallingly. At least be honest. You owe the club that (and a hell of a lot more).

IMO their older players aren't good enough to sustain a flag push. Wines, Allir Allir, Boak and (formerly) Gray are guns, but we had about 8 players of a similar age bracket and quality and we won a flag by 2 points. That's how good you've gotta be to win a flag. They needed a minimum of two more in that bracket to go along with those blokes.

If next year Melbourne gets their 2021 mojo back and Sydney keeps improving, they'd both absolutely maul Port (even with Dunkley and Rioli) in a PF or GF... and that's IF Port can rebound from this year which is far from guaranteed. Geelong will be in the mix again as well. I think you're right - absolute hail mary play.

Clubs never admit their premiership assault was good, but not good enough and pull the pin early on a group. Looks like Port are going to go down the path of riding it right out which is effectively the same path we're just finishing on now but when you've got a flag in your kitbag, it makes a huge difference to the club pscyhe. You can only imagine how *ed this board would be if not for the Dom Sheed goal...

I get why clubs don't do it. There's a lot of risk calling it early, trading older players and going to the draft where the quality of recruits is unknown. Not to mention the risk of bringing down the morale of a club by moving on players as soon as they've passed their use-by date - something we are obviously right in the middle of right now.

If this were the NFL, they'd move on 2 or 3 of their guys around 30 (Dixon probably the one with most currency), cop the ladder hit for a couple of years and get a couple of top 5 picks to go with this year's pick 8. Look to nail 2 of those 3 and bounce back up quickly. Surround Rozee, Drew, Marshall, Georgiades and Butters with at least two high-end talents who are producing whilst Wines and Allir Allir are still playing good footy (even if they've passed their peak)... But I don't recall any club going down that path in the AFL. The general consensus amongst industry types is to ride a group out to the bitter end and cop the ladder hit only when they retire (or before they retire as it happens to be in our case).
I'd say had we not won a flag none of our last 4 crappy years happen

It's amazing how much lack of hunger would have changed us and the fact Port have won nothing despite being around the mark means their desperate for success

We won 1 and were happy and 100% took the foot off (mentally dropped off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back