RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

If I have to read "it's what he would have wanted" or "the show must go on" one more time I'll vom.

will probably get fredbanned/flamed for this but equally nauseating are the people proclaiming "the season is irrelevant", "footy doesn't matter", "this is bigger than the game, or finals" etc etc while proclaiming how hard they're grieving for a public figure they likely never met.

acknowledge it's a tragic event, empathise with the family, club, friends etc but give us a spell.

Sorry but seriously… WTF AFL

This is tragic emotional day for the industry

I think they could be a bit more sensitive on their website. Seems very blunt

Phil_Walsh_Dead-v4.jpg
IDIOTS !

Awful for his wife and daughter, they lost a husband/father and a son/brother in the same incident. Presumably his wife witnessed the whole thing. It is utterly incomprehensible how one could deal with such tragedy.
Yeah she is in hospital with stab wounds as well , presumably trying to get in between son and father but won't elaborate .
It is just a tragedy of the highest order , a whole family completely torn apart .... their lives will be haunted by this forever .
So ****in sad !

In this case, think they just lack tact and a feel for the English language. Seen more and more often these days.
We're all saddened and shocked by the sudden loss, Walshy was a great man, and was involved with many people across many clubs.

Whats worse however, than the media, is the hoards of people on social media who feel some sort of social satisfaction by posting relevant posts like phil huges' death. People feel if they don't post something or do something they don't care; and that they need to be seen doing something. I didn't agree with this at first, but Ali Carle wrote a nice article on how bad social media is during tragedies. Like the whole 63 not out; everyone started trying to score and retire on 63, and outdoing each other with the most clever and insightful tweet/update.

Sorry but seriously… WTF AFL

This is tragic emotional day for the industry

I think they could be a bit more sensitive on their website. Seems very blunt

Phil_Walsh_Dead-v4.jpg

I think you posted exactly what everyone was thinking. They got rid of it real quickly too. Disgraceful stuff.

i hope this brings things into perspective for everyone. every week we attend (most people), barrack, abuse, boo, get into niggle with opposition fans etc. hope this makes people think about actions at games
Well said. Sometimes we over prioritize football to the point that we become so fixated with the seriousness of football.

I think there will be a bit of an eerie feeling this weekend with all teams.

will probably get fredbanned/flamed for this but equally nauseating are the people proclaiming "the season is irrelevant", "footy doesn't matter", "this is bigger than the game, or finals" etc etc while proclaiming how hard they're grieving for a public figure they likely never met.

acknowledge it's a tragic event, empathise with the family, club, friends etc but give us a spell.

And thats the thing, people have knee jerk reactions to anything that is outside of the bubble they live in.

They delude themselves into thinking that society is such a nice place, so when something like this happens to a public figure that they have never met, these people suddenly want the world to stop turning because they think its a one off event.

Truth is that it happens every day to all sorts of people, and if we stop the world turning for every single victim of a horrible crime the nothing would ever get done or accomplished.

Lastly, i have heard players all describe Walsh as being like a father figure to them, so I get to wondering why he had such an estranged relationship with his very own son when he was willing to be a father figure to footballers that dont share his blood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beggars belief the AFL. You don’t have to be Shakespeare to come up with some simple, sensitive words of tribute to mark such a sombre and tragic occasion. I was actually just at a family funeral the other day and all of the tributes written by everyone – including the young – were very fitting and beautiful – and we’re talking people from all walks of life, not professional communicators

A very senior member of the industry deserves better on the industry website. Lift your game.

RIP

Actually it was up for a few hours at least.

Oh, I know. I mean after the post. From the looks of things they got heavy negative feedback following it.

We're all saddened and shocked by the sudden loss, Walshy was a great man, and was involved with many people across many clubs.

Whats worse however, than the media, is the hoards of people on social media who feel some sort of social satisfaction by posting relevant posts like phil huges' death. People feel if they don't post something or do something they don't care; and that they need to be seen doing something. I didn't agree with this at first, but Ali Carle wrote a nice article on how bad social media is during tragedies. Like the whole 63 not out; everyone started trying to score and retire on 63, and outdoing each other with the most clever and insightful tweet/update.

Depends on the sentiment behind it I guess. Doing something just because it's "trending" is w ankerism.

Don't know if this has been posted, but another lovely effort. Have to say I'm extremely impressed of the footy world and proud to support this great game right now.

I couldn't agree more with you. It is appalling..

The media are like vultures at a time like this. They seem to be in such a frenzy, quick get cameras to the club, make sure you get the players faces, get cameras to the house, get interviews with everyone that knew him. I know it's their job, but gee they can be extremely insensitive at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back