RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Excuse my ignorance but that incident (last year?) involving an AFL identity and his son being in an incident Walsh and his son or was that another matter.

Absolutely horrible stuff. Shocking. Sad, nothing can describe it.

To people like Carlton dude above saying it happens all the time and this is no more important, I'm guessing you are young and trying to be clever, you're not . There's people like you whenever someone high profile dies. If you want to be remembered like Phil Walsh will be remembered, do something with your life . If you can't then no one outside your circle will care when you go. Phil Walsh touched a lot of people's lives and he died in absolutely shocking and tragic circumstances Last NIGHT .

Pay your respects or move along.

Sorry but seriously… WTF AFL

This is tragic emotional day for the industry

I think they could be a bit more sensitive on their website. Seems very blunt

Phil_Walsh_Dead-v4.jpg

may as well just have his body with the wounds in the pic its a bit blunt

Domestic violence happens every day in Australia. Every week, two women are killed by their husbands.
Closer to one a week I would have thought.
Excuse my ignorance but that incident (last year?) involving an AFL identity and his son being in an incident Walsh and his son or was that another matter.
Might be thinking of Dermie and Devlin.

Showed last week press conference where Walsh is talking about "frustration in art" - did anyone see it?

Walsh talked about being in the Netherlands last year and seeing a Van Gogh painting - acknowledging that he was no art scholar - just a "bogan from Hamilton" - but that he could see beauty in Van Gogh's painting - he likened this to his frustrations but also, optimism about the Crows.

It summed Walsh up for mine - he was who he was, unabashed football fanatic - but also curious about other disciplines as well, a man with great perspective it seems (without the hubris which knowledgeable people usually manifest)

The thing that really gets me about this is how life will simply go on.

I know that sounds silly, we all remember the disbelief when Philip Hughes was pronounced dead. Six months later, the media cycle rolls on - we really only think about it in comparison to this awful occurrence - and will again in December for the anniversary. But since then, Australia has gone on to win the World Cup and now preparing for the Ashes. Hughes should have been a part of that. Instead he is in the ground - putting a bat or a scarf out, I'm so sorry to say, seems unbelievably futile when faced with the daily loss the family members must feel - and the loss of opportunity of life of the person in question.

We think our lives and our problems are so unique and important, but they aren't.

A chosen few, like Walsh, will reach the pinnacle of their industry and the media will ensure their efforts in life are celebrated accordingly.

But for 99% of us all of our nueroses and worries and plans and dreams will be over one day, probably when we least suspect it. And life will, of course, go on. It's incredibly unnerving.

As for the son (and suspect) - we can't possibly imagine what must have been going through his head if he perpetrated this - I haven't seen many people lashing out in anger as would often be the case. Why would anybody in their right mind ruin their own life and and lives of their loved ones in such a manner. They wouldn't.

I think we all want to make sense of this - to hug your loved ones, to live each day til its fullest. But there is no sense. Its just what has happened, unfathomable as it is. And in a few weeks, I'm guessing myself and many others will go on worrying and wasting time in much the same manner we did beforehand.

I am glad that Phil Walsh was able to achieve so many of his goals - even if he has been cut so tragically short as his zenith. A fine example as a human, who will be sorely missed.

Last edited:
Absolutely horrible stuff. Shocking. Sad, nothing can describe it.

To people like Carlton dude above saying it happens all the time and this is no more important, I'm guessing you are young and trying to be clever, you're not . There's people like you whenever someone high profile dies. If you want to be remembered like Phil Walsh will be remembered, do something with your life . If you can't then no one outside your circle will care when you go. Phil Walsh touched a lot of people's lives and he died in absolutely shocking and tragic circumstances Last NIGHT .

Pay your respects or move along.

Oh no you don't, I couldn't give a rats arse if I am remembered like Walsh is when I die.

What I care about is giving the same attention and treatment to all people who are cut down by tragic crime, because no person in my eyes is above any one else.
When joe shmuck gets murdered down the street and his name is mentioned on the news as a passing comment, no one floods social media and demands the world stop turning because of that murder.

I feel sympathy for Walsh and his family, but I never knew the guy as as with many people that die that I never knew, I don't have a connection to him to make out that this is the biggest tragedy to ever befall mankind.

Get some perspective, Walsh was a good bloke from all accounts, but so are the other 50 people that die every single day, so I just believe that either give everyone of those 50 the same amount of attention and treatment, whether that be just passing on a quick condolence or flooding the internet with non-stop sympathies and wanting the world to stop turning.

No one, and I mean no one, even if they are public figures deserves more attention and treatment than any other innocent person that dies.

I always feel really awkward seeing things like this:

I try to just take a deep breath and accept that people grieve in different ways but I can't really grasp the notion of putting a hashtag onto a physical tribute. Especially when the hashtag is just a marketing message used by the club to sell memberships. To me it would be like writing "#I'm lovin' it" on a tribute if the president of McDonald's passed away.

Glad someone else said it. I love the sentiment but I hate hashtags in any physical form (and often digital too).

Regardless, RIP Phil. it's shocking news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will probably get fredbanned/flamed for this but equally nauseating are the people proclaiming "the season is irrelevant", "footy doesn't matter", "this is bigger than the game, or finals" etc etc while proclaiming how hard they're grieving for a public figure they likely never met.

acknowledge it's a tragic event, empathise with the family, club, friends etc but give us a spell.

Agreed, heard similar opinion on SEN but thought to myself "you are still broadcasting though, have you no shame ?"

As for the son (and suspect) - we can't possibly imagine what must have been going through his head if he perpetrated this

I really don't like this attitude, even if it is well intentioned. Domestic violence is a huge issue in this country and rarely gets the time of day it deserves. For people to dismiss the most horrific actions someone can commit as being 'never truly understandable' is a defeatist attitude that allows us to repress some of our darkest issues within society.

I hope that at the very least a high profile person like Phil Walsh being the victim of such a domestic dispute would help shine a light on this issue and convince many to start a real conversation about it.

Such a horrible thing to happen.

I'm kinda lost for words, but want to say that I was sceptical about our new coach for a few rounds of footy.
There's a little bit of "Cmon then, impress me".

And just recently his press conferences were doing just that.
I feel like I only just properly tuned in to the man sitting in the box.
And now he's been taken. Just like that. Bloody sad.

RIP Mr Walsh.

Gogh-sunflowers-NG3863-r-half.jpg

I really don't like this attitude, even if it is well intentioned. Domestic violence is a huge issue in this country and rarely gets the time of day it deserves. For people to dismiss the most horrific actions someone can commit as being 'never truly understandable' is a defeatist attitude that allows us to repress some of our darkest issues within society.

I hope that at the very least a high profile person like Phil Walsh being the victim of such a domestic dispute would help shine a light on this issue and convince many to start a real conversation about it.

But that's the point, we have no idea of how it all went down.
All kinds of scenarios could have happened, ranging from Walsh being completely innocent and his son being a murderous treach who cut down his innocent father, to his son could have been on ice and lost control and did this tragic event, or even that they both got into an argument that got out of control and a scuffle ensued at which point the son picked up a weapon and did it in a fit of rage without thinking properly.

Point is that we have no idea which of the scenarios happened and maybe even a different scenario happened, so before you pass judgement on the son as being such an evil person, lets wait to know the facts and then judge him on how bad his deeds were.
For all we know, this 'domestic violence' could never have been an issue for that family, but in the worst of luck it came about that night and ended in the worst possible way.

I always feel really awkward seeing things like this:

I try to just take a deep breath and accept that people grieve in different ways but I can't really grasp the notion of putting a hashtag onto a physical tribute. Especially when the hashtag is just a marketing message used by the club to sell memberships. To me it would be like writing "#I'm lovin' it" on a tribute if the president of McDonald's passed away.

I think the message on that guernsey is beautiful, maybe I'm just a simplistic person.
'From all of us, who feel the pain of loss and human suffering, we live in hope that again, someday soon, we shall all #flyasone.'

At the end of the day, posting a hashtag is just as redundant as posting 'RIP' on a website. I have absolutely no issue with this hashtag, and if anything I applaud it because I think it connects people who are grieving - perhaps in a superficial manner - but it promotes unity all the same.

Oh no you don't, I couldn't give a rats arse if I am remembered like Walsh is when I die.

What I care about is giving the same attention and treatment to all people who are cut down by tragic crime, because no person in my eyes is above any one else.
When joe shmuck gets murdered down the street and his name is mentioned on the news as a passing comment, no one floods social media and demands the world stop turning because of that murder.

I feel sympathy for Walsh and his family, but I never knew the guy as as with many people that die that I never knew, I don't have a connection to him to make out that this is the biggest tragedy to ever befall mankind.

Get some perspective, Walsh was a good bloke from all accounts, but so are the other 50 people that die every single day, so I just believe that either give everyone of those 50 the same amount of attention and treatment, whether that be just passing on a quick condolence or flooding the internet with non-stop sympathies and wanting the world to stop turning.

No one, and I mean no one, even if they are public figures deserves more attention and treatment than any other innocent person that dies.

I use to think like you when I was younger,
And I questioned it for a long time as well, but if you don't have a impact on people's lives how do you expect people to care? I agree everyone's life is as important as everyone else's, that's a given in my eyes, but if I don't know the person I am more likely just to say that is sad and move on. There's not much else you can do. Tragedy happens everyday as you said.

But when it's someone you see on TV most days, and someone that had real relationships with people in the media and in football you are going to get people on a football forum that feel affected by it. Just like if you went to someone's workplace or home who had been murdered, they would have people that are affected by it. It's human nature, if you know someone or felt like you knew someone you are going to be affected by their murder, more people know or feel like they know famous people hence the bigger out pouring of emotion.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back