RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Some tribute pictures for everyone of the great man, RIP MATE.
357022-tlsnewslandscape.jpg
1435968006918.jpg
090987-bb530114-4b9b-11e4-b6e4-edc180f5fd07.jpg
525723-a7d0ba70-525b-11e4-a40d-833ddda6a9b8.jpg
Phil-Walsh-Sunflowers-Van-Gogh-628.JPG
image.imgtype.articleLeadNarrow.300x0.png
walshyportrait.jpg
287314-00c13114-4c6c-11e4-9e77-7409857ba1a2.jpg
621398-3821f698-c6bf-11e4-b315-22a5c9651e5e.jpg
088660-21be7c06-2dc1-11e4-9f4a-be5853a7239e.jpg
004024-19a647c8-4dde-11e4-bb56-4c5b5aec19ef.jpg
571326-157e7d2c-211f-11e5-bfd8-23d4937b5704.jpg
592895-cc778036-6a0a-11e4-b185-fd998d90ddfa.jpg
468080-39b58882-f566-11e4-a758-97c89e8ea731.jpg
2fa8892badc4321066032a15bf7afb9c
0307_philwalsh2_g.ashx
CI84QJKWwAAxkV3.jpg
300000-08fe73b6-e4a9-11e4-b722-cf4cf8a3a293.jpg
external

Such great photos of him as a young guy must if been an awesome player.does snybody know what positions he played in the clubs he played for? Just curious.....

I took a differmet tack with my ten and Eight year old sons

They watch games with me and were asking what it was all about, the minutes silence and the circles

I explained the coach had died on Friday and people were really sad and wanted to show to the family of PHIL they loved him and it helped people overcome sadness

So my son asked how he died ......?

After a brief pause I said his son did something when he was really angry and he died ....it was the best age appropriate way of explaining

My ten year old said wow it's great all those people loved him ....I said yeah

I said the world is loving place actually and we need to learn to love more and not just when people die, but when they are alive ....

I used the opputunity to teach my children about love and what it really means .....I also explained that we are not alone and if we are having battles to tell someone about it and don't keep it in and when we are sad we can share that too and people will stand by you just like they did for PHIL Walsh

That arvo my two boys clearly affected by the chat came up to me with a card after they had told mum ....the card just said "we love and your a great dad" ...I'm also a very busy guy and spend large amounts of time away from family travelling in car for my job ".......it was a touching moment

Today I'm reflecting on how I can be better dad and I would like you big footy members to do the same ......if you don't have kids reflect on how you could be closer to your dad if you know him or closer to anyone in your family

From tragdey I'm trying to use it in my family as something that can be turned into resilience

In every tragdey we can learn something that can help us ...yes mourn as we all have done and I'm sure in the coming days and weeks we can learn from it.....

Have a great day everyone
It's been good having you around these threads mate.

I agree with you, when you're high it's happy days but that come down stage is not such a happy stage.

The evidence that he was on ice may not have been released as yet, but won't be long before it does.
Or not.have seen a few recently who have not been pleasant in ed, one needed tasering to subdue.
I do not like being assaulted by patients who behave like this......
Just saying, it affects each and every user differently, each and every time they use.

Or not.have seen a few recently who have not been pleasant in ed, one needed tasering to subdue.
I do not like being assaulted by patients who behave like this......
Just saying, it affects each and every user differently, each and every time they use.
True words these.

They watch games with me and were asking what it was all about, the minutes silence and the circles

I explained the coach had died on Friday and people were really sad and wanted to show to the family of PHIL they loved him and it helped people overcome sadness

After a brief pause I said his son did something when he was really angry and he died ....it was the best age appropriate way of explaining

I said the world is loving place actually and we need to learn to love more and not just when people die, but when they are alive ....

I used the opputunity to teach my children about love and what it really means .....I also explained that we are not alone and if we are having battles to tell someone about it and don't keep it in and when we are sad we can share that too and people will stand by you just like they did for PHIL Walsh

That arvo my two boys clearly affected by the chat came up to me with a card after they had told mum ....the card just said "we love and your a great dad" ...I'm also a very busy guy and spend large amounts of time away from family travelling in car for my job ".......it was a touching moment

Today I'm reflecting on how I can be better dad and I would like you big footy members to do the same ......if you don't have kids reflect on how you could be closer to your dad if you know him or closer to anyone in your family

From tragdey I'm trying to use it in my family as something that can be turned into resilience

In every tragdey we can learn something that can help us ...yes mourn as we all have done and I'm sure in the coming days and weeks we can learn from it.....

This. I managed to get through this whole thread and then this just compounded all my emotions and made me cry. In Starbucks. As a 25 year old dreadlocked hippy.

The emotional rollercoaster this weekend for football has been insane. It's just unheard of and I still can't truly believe it. For all this talk of Ice/drugs in general etc I think we should be more focused on what Phil Walsh gave to the AFL in his time. I liked seeing what he was doing for the crows and I loved the fact he let the Danger/Fyfe battle go on til the end as it was good for football. Showed that he was also understanding his job was a special one and wanted to repay the faith in the fans.

R.I.P. Phil. You were a true superstar and the AFL supporter base will never forget you.

I'm beginning to think the speculation the son was "high on ice" doesn't hold water. Or at least, as some other have mentioned - he may have been a user but the crime was perpetrated during a "come down" or withdrawal. Or some other drug was involved. Or there was mental health issues. A chemical imbalance (the source of which we don't know) has the be the only explanation for this kid to carry out such a heinous act.

When the incident was first reported, it sounded like it was ice-affected because police mentioned an argument at 2am which resulting in Walsh tragically recieving multiple fatal stab wounds and wife recieving some collateral damage. I think many of us deduced that the son came home high in the early hours of the morning, was confronted with lead to a frenzied meth-induced attack.

But the information coming out now is that Walsh was attacked in his bed. That the son hugged the mother before stabbing his father. Add to this the fact that police so quickly charged the son with murder, rather than manslaughter. It sounds like cold, calculated intent. And was designed to catch Phil Walsh off-guard, because he was a big strong, guy who would have been able to physically defend himself if confronted (though perhaps not if this son was indeed high).

Having attempted to read some of the son's blog, granted it was 6 years ago and he may have changed dramatically since then - but he was certainly an odd 20 year old. There's elements of narcissism, inferiority, a limited perspective and set of interests - which was basically to learn Japanese and acquire an Asian girlfriend. And yet, there is no explanation for why he wants these things - he is almost dispassionate about them. His ramblings are almost entirely self-obsessed. It was perplexing to me how someone who seems borderline dyslexic would be throwing himself into learning another language. What he says about how alcohol affects him was illuminating though. Many studies suggest the certain people are genetically predisposed to mental illness when exposed to drugs - this could be something as "benign" as marijuana, even alcohol - god knows what a malignant drug like ice does to one's brain.

Just feel desperately sorry for the Mother who will now be going through all of the possible "red flags" in her head now, but which lead to something she could not possibly foreseen or prevented.

Thanks for posting that. So well written. I have kids and a Dad who now lives a fairly lonely life after Mum passed a few years ago.

I have tears in my eyes right now.

I'm beginning to think the speculation the son was "high on ice" doesn't hold water. Or at least, as some other have mentioned - he may have been a user but the crime was perpetrated during a "come down" or withdrawal. Or some other drug was involved. Or there was mental health issues. A chemical imbalance (the source of which we don't know) has the be the only explanation for this kid to carry out such a heinous act.

When the incident was first reported, it sounded like it was ice-affected because police mentioned an argument at 2am which resulting in Walsh tragically recieving multiple fatal stab wounds and wife recieving some collateral damage. I think many of us deduced that the son came home high in the early hours of the morning, was confronted with lead to a frenzied meth-induced attack.

But the information coming out now is that Walsh was attacked in his bed. That the son hugged the mother before stabbing his father. Add to this the fact that police so quickly charged the son with murder, rather than manslaughter. It sounds like cold, calculated intent. And was designed to catch Phil Walsh off-guard, because he was a big strong, guy who would have been able to physically defend himself if confronted (though perhaps not if this son was indeed high).

Having attempted to read some of the son's blog, granted it was 6 years ago and he may have changed dramatically since then - but he was certainly an odd 20 year old. There's elements of narcissism, inferiority, a limited perspective and set of interests - which was basically to learn Japanese and acquire an Asian girlfriend. And yet, there is no explanation for why he wants these things - he is almost dispassionate about them. His ramblings are almost entirely self-obsessed. It was perplexing to me how someone who seems borderline dyslexic would be throwing himself into learning another language. What he says about how alcohol affects him was illuminating though. Many studies suggest the certain people are genetically predisposed to mental illness when exposed to drugs - this could be something as "benign" as marijuana, even alcohol - god knows what a malignant drug like ice does to one's brain.

Just feel desperately sorry for the Mother who will now be going through all of the possible "red flags" in her head now, but which lead to something she could not possibly foreseen or prevented.

Seems like a sad loner; one of those people who thinks they're smarter, better looking and more socially awesome than anyone else... Yet nobody else realizes it.

His blogs are self absorbed and rambling, and show a lack of discipline and understanding. It's strange how many people who do something like this have blogs that are so similar.

I suspect he always felt inferior, like he could never match the old man - made even worse by the fact that Walshy was loved and adored by people like Walker, Danger and Sloane - they were everything he wanted to be, and his old man loved them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a sad loner; one of those people who thinks they're smarter, better looking and more socially awesome than anyone else... Yet nobody else realizes it.

His blogs are self absorbed and rambling, and show a lack of discipline and understanding. It's strange how many people who do something like this have blogs that are so similar.

I suspect he always felt inferior, like he could never match the old man - made even worse by the fact that Walshy was loved and adored by people like Walker, Danger and Sloane - they were everything he wanted to be, and his old man loved them.
Possibly

We can't judge Walsh on his fathering love ....

I was a little concerned at his posts about women ....

That said people post all sorts of rambling crap online but don't hurt others or their family ......

Sometimes really good people can do one thing in a moment they regret for life ....?And not understand how it happened ...prisons are full of people who made split second decisions.

It's so hard to know ....we may never know and frankly I don't want to know what happened and nor should we clamber for more details.

The learning for me is how we deal with the trauma and how we can somehow turn a loss into a positive learning for us.

Having attempted to read some of the son's blog, granted it was 6 years ago and he may have changed dramatically since then - but he was certainly an odd 20 year old. There's elements of narcissism, inferiority, a limited perspective and set of interests - which was basically to learn Japanese and acquire an Asian girlfriend.

Sounds like a standard 20 year old male to me.

Apparently he had travelled ALOT all at a tender age and if those rambling a are correct maybe he was a bit alternative. he was into yoga meditation other stuff which most youngs guys aren't really into.but I met a young 28 yr old guy years ago through a family who was into meditation and some weird tarot card stuff and all that shit and was into an alternative lifestyle he suffered from depression, was quite a strange one he seemed to have a bad relationship with the father.The son of Phil Walsh's seemed to be searching for something in his travels which seems relatively normal... People go out searching for themselves.. All the time ,hell I did in my early 30's.If drugs are involved it highlights the need for more support to anybody out there struggling:( incredibly sad....it highlights how important father/ son relationships are, sometimes things just don't go right and people fall through some cracks:( the consequences if that don't bare thinking about:(

Apparently he had travelled ALOT all at a tender age and if those rambling a are correct maybe he was a bit alternative. he was into yoga meditation other stuff which most youngs guys aren't really into.but I met a young 28 yr old guy years ago through a family who was into meditation and some weird tarot card stuff and all that shit and was into an alternative lifestyle he suffered from depression, was quite a strange one he seemed to have a bad relationship with the father.The son of Phil Walsh's seemed to be searching for something in his travels which seems relatively normal... People go out searching for themselves.. All the time ,hell I did in my early 30's.If drugs are involved it highlights the need for more support to anybody out there struggling:( incredibly sad....it highlights how important father/ son relationships are, sometimes things just don't go right and people fall through some cracks:( the consequences if that don't bare thinking about:(
If you have a look at his travel video blogs you'll see he has a tendency to smoke joints with locals in front of the camera. And has no problem posting it on the internet. Like he's invincible from the law of every country he visits.

We use meditation as well as traditional therapies to help clients overcome addiction ....it's best practice to do so ...so think link is rather flimsy ....sorry not bashing your post though far from it and it does open lots of questions rather than answer any

We do some yoga also ...however we counsellors are well versed at picking clients that aren't stable or at risk of developing psychosis or semi psychotic behaviours ........

Your last Point is valid truly valid and I cannot emphasise this enough

If you have kids invest in them ...give up something you love to spend time with them, be aware of their needs ....

I love golf but it was time consuming ....my son said do you have to go this week dad ?

What he really was saying ....dad your not spending enough time with us. Gave it up. Instead I spend more time with them and I do exercise for couple of hours on Saturday in instead of golf which took up half the day....win win ...I'm healthier and happier and so are my kids. We have to invest in them ......listen to the music they live in the car even if it makes you cringe and have no idea what the words are.....lol

Watch their silly movies that you really hate but you say "that was interesting and why did the main character do this or that"

If you have a look at his travel video blogs you'll see he has a tendency to smoke joints with locals in front of the camera. And has no problem posting it on the internet. Like he's invincible from the law of every country he visits.
I haven't seen it:( I think what the authorities are dealing with is a very troubled disturbed individual... I'm wondering how much maybe depression/anxiety plays a part in this along with many other problems.i have dealt with these issues personally and it's the toughest thing in the world to overcome if indeed he had depression amongst other issues.Never took any recreational drugs, but had meds to deal with my issues.had a bad relationship with my dad....it's never mended.felt there was little help through the public system where I live .we still live in a world where depression/ anxiety is taboo, maybe he had so many problems and nobody to turn to, but you don't go snd kill somebody it all seems very bizarre and the tragedy is there's a family without a father etc.i read he had flotation tanks weird stuff like that and would hallucinate...that to me would be s huge red flag:(

image.jpg This image sits above my desk

And it may encapsulate how we move forward

About three months ago I sat with a mum who had lost her son to suicide ...it was two weeks after he had died. She took me out into her garden and I asked if he liked gardening ...she said yes he did

We talked some more. I asked if she had been in the garden much since the death, she said no and hurt too much.

I left and went straight to a nursey and purchased some plants .....and seedlings And went back to her house

I knocked on the door ....I said we have work to do!

We spent two hours planting - I don't mind getting my hands dirty

4 months later she sent me a lovely email saying her garden is now the peaceful place she goes each day to mend the hurt. Makes me teary when I type this. It included a lively picture of her smiling in front of the garden. From her darkest hour we found the very thing that I knew would heal.

I read statement the Walsh family made today which clearly said the football world would help them heal.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back