Rising Star 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

If you played under 10 games you are still eligable. Once your over that limit in 1 year then your out.

Young guns who are good enough to play 10 games or more in their first season, but not necessarily set the world on fire, are ruled ineligible for the following season. Lesser talented players, who spend their first year playing VFL, can win the award in their second year, once all of the competition has been ruled out. It's crazy. Most of the real rising stars of the AFL manage at least 10 games in their first season.

Chris Judd is probably the greatest, young footballer I've ever seen. He stepped straight in at the age of 18 and blitzed. Not quite enough to shade Riewoldt (in his 2nd season) and Judd finished runner up in the award. The following season, Judd was even better. A bona fide star of the comp, but unable to win the Rising Star. To my mind, this perfectly illustrates what a joke of an award the Rising Star is.

It's not to begrudge any of the previous winners. I just think it would be a better award if they were to award it to the best player aged under 20, irrespective of how many games they'd played.

Look at who people were discussing last season: Andrew Raines, Danyle Pearce and Heath Shaw.
Rising stars of the competition? Gimme a break!

It seems most people are picking their own team's players, so I'll put forward Pendlebury as the Pies' best chance.

Best chance from other clubs: Shaun Higgins.

Best chance for a first year: Joel Selwood.

Who's Davey? Of melbourne fame? Too old and not good enough mate. Gibbs has got this years wrapped up already.
No, he's not eligible. You really don't follow football, do you?

Gibbs will be a great player but I have my doubts whether he will win medals because he does not get huge ammounts of the ball and he isnt flashy.

37 touches and six goals in a senior SANFL game while being tagged isn't enough of the ball/flashy enough for you? Your standards are either stupidly high or you're just making assumptions to suit Selwood's cause. I'll predict the latter.

Bryce may take a bit longer than the public expected to adjust to AFL football, but he will be a champion. Has it all except for the physical maturity that will come with age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

typical of these threads, everyone jumps on and talks up their own teams chances, its pretty embarressing

bryce gibbs will win it if he plays enough time on the ball
leroy jetta, lindsey thomas, alwyn davey, nathan jones are chances...havent seen much of some others like hawkins and selwood, but if they are as good as people say they could be up there

and seriously, all collingwood supporters talking up pendlebury? any young player will look like a gun when thrown into collingwoods hack midfield that moves in slow motion ;)

typical of these threads, everyone jumps on and talks up their own teams chances, its pretty embarressing

bryce gibbs will win it if he plays enough time on the ball
leroy jetta, lindsey thomas, alwyn davey, nathan jones are chances...havent seen much of some others like hawkins and selwood, but if they are as good as people say they could be up there

and seriously, all collingwood supporters talking up pendlebury? any young player will look like a gun when thrown into collingwoods hack midfield that moves in slow motion ;)
so what you're saying is he's a shoe in.
it's about how much you get noticed. danyle pearce, excelled in a poor season for port. in a stronger season he may have played a dozen games rotating most of the time off the bench and missed his chance at the award.

from what i have seen, i wouldn't mind having a bit on one of the geelong boys, selwood, djekurra and varcoe [is he still eligible?].

Wasn't it 47 touches?

I remember once Nathan Foley got 52 possies and some goals. Do you have a quick link or know where I can find Gibb's stats for all his games last year?

I think you can get them from the glelg website. I compiled a list of his stats last year if you're interested (based on Glenelg site). Sorry if it isn't neat but I couldn't get it into line.

managed to compile Bryce's stats from almost every match he played for Glenelg this year. I only missed r21.

Bryce Gibbs stats for Glenelg seniors in the 2006 SANFL
R K M H G B
1 9 1 11 0 0
2 10 5 3 1 0
5 8 5 4 0 0
6 4 1 3 0 0
7 18 9 5 1 0
8 9 5 9 1 0
9 10 2 11 0 0
10 14 6 11 1 0
15 14 3 6 2 0
16 11 5 6 0 0
17 21 11 13 6 1
18 14 8 4 4 1
19 12 5 10 1 1
20 12 2 6 2 1
21 played but can't find results
23 20 7 12 1 1

played 16 matches (only got results for 15)
300 disposals in the 15 matches
kicked 20 goals 5 behinds
took 75 marks

average: disposals 20
marks 5
goals 1.3

Nathan Jones was nominated in round 20 last year, is he still eligible for this years award?

Yes,

The criteria involves you being 21 and under at the start of the season, and to have played 10 or less games.

Jones fits in the criteria.

For memory only one player has been nominated twice, which was Michael Braun.

Well mate get over ya Joel Selwood he is only playing AFL because of his brother and he struggled all last year with injurys so my main bet is to giddie up on the BOMBERS Gambleton, Jetta, Davey, Hoili can't go wrong

Do any of the betting sites run a book on the rising star? If they do, I'll be putting cash on Pendles to win it.

Gibbs will probably play most of the season for Carlton but only because of lack of other viable options and because Pagan will want to get games into him. He may turn into a pretty good player in time but not just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rising Star 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back