Preview Rnd 1- Carlton v Richmond Thursday 16th March 7.20M @ MCG - Team - Post #898

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boyd would get absolutely carved by Heeney, who'd just play deep or play off leading up at the ball. You're seemingly jonesing for someone like Plowman there, when you just need someone who is disciplined enough to pick when to go and when to not bother and keep the zone compact.

You're not going to be able to perfectly account for every other team's athletic capabilities all of the time, hell even most of the time these days. Just try and ensure the defensive system will kill off and create more than it gives away.

Yep, Heeney's had two seasons in his career with an average below 1 goal a game, and last year averaged 2 a game. He was held goalless exactly twice last year, once against the Suns and, funnily, once against us. Plowman played that game, though I'm not sure if he or anyone else (Newman, Stocker, Doc, Saad) played majority minutes on Heeney.

Sometimes you just need to accept the fact that good players are going to have an impact. Heeney is so highly rated because he is incredibly skilled, and athletically gifted enough to be able to beat a small defender in the air and a medium defender on the ground. He is going to kick goals. Same with Bolton and Martin in R1. They're nightmare matchups and the expectation shouldn't be that Cowan or Cincotta blanket them out of the game, just that they cover them as best they can and ensure that if Bolton and Martin score it's through individual brilliance and not a breakdown of system that opens the door for cheap and easy goals.

The second guessing going on in here is wild
Me too, thought he could develop into a versatile player for us but seems to be well back in the pecking order, can’t even get a preseason practice game in
He didn't play the VFL game against pies - did he play intra club this week with gov? Wouldn't be surprised if something amiss as we went into both games with no third tall intercepting defending. Suppose they got to give cotta and Cowan as much time on ground to see who can potentially replace Williams ..

The second guessing going on in here is wild
Nothing like the certainty you bring Jim. Doesn’t bother you that Williams and Boyd are out. No matter what….you won’t ****en pick Newman.

At least you give me a giggle. I’ll be back after round one looking for your team as usual.

In: M Cottrell (in cast)
Out: Newman

Keen to see us take advantage of the fact the Tigers have no one who can run with Charlie. The shock of the preseason to me was the extra yard of pace he’s picked up. When combined with his endurance (at it’s all time best I think) and leap he’s a nightmare.

So I would love to see some in board kicks into the centre square to him. He can’t be stopped. And then the turn and go 60m bomb. We should be looking to play through Charlie every chnace we can. A La Cameron.

Transition pace / covering defensive spread and our ability to absorb pressure will decide the game in my view. We will win contested ball for sure. We should dominate field position. And our key forwards will do better than theirs.

Have we worked out the tactics to cover our weaknesses? Intriguing.

Keen to see us take advantage of the fact the Tigers have no one who can run with Charlie. The shock of the preseason to me was the extra yard of pace he’s picked up. When combined with his endurance (at it’s all time best I think) and leap he’s a nightmare.

So I would love to see some in board kicks into the centre square to him. He can’t be stopped. And then the turn and go 60m bomb. We should be looking to play through Charlie every chnace we can. A La Cameron.

Transition pace / covering defensive spread and our ability to absorb pressure will decide the game in my view. We will win contested ball for sure. We should dominate field position. And our key forwards will do better than theirs.

That plan A sounds great - what’s plan B? :p

I’m really looking forward to this game
We need to knock the Tigers over and start the season on the winning ledger

Exciting times!

Was feeling far more optimistic until I saw them run around on Friday night.

Now I have no idea what to think.

I didnt/havent watched the game vs Swans - but you take out the 4-5+ who wont play round 1 and bring back the 4-5+ who will and its a much different team and you'd hope they play better for it.

This is what I thought before the second game against the Tigers last year and then Grimes had an absolute blinder on Charlie. Our midfield bombed it long and high to Charlie all night and Grimes feasted on it. Hoping we learn from our mistakes.

This is what I thought before the second game against the Tigers last year and then Grimes had an absolute blinder on Charlie. Our midfield bombed it long and high to Charlie all night and Grimes feasted on it. Hoping we learn from our mistakes.
f15a8793-6477-473e-9855-781ec29ed9c9_text.gif

🤣

Did you watch the Tigers run around on Saturday?
No but I was there to watch us run around on Friday night and it was as ordinary as I've seen for some time.

Not even player specific, the system in general was overly poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didnt/havent watched the game vs Swans - but you take out the 4-5+ who wont play round 1 and bring back the 4-5+ who will and its a much different team and you'd hope they play better for it.
Certainly hope so. Was the system I was more worried about. There were several things watching it live that concerned me.

FB: Newman Weitering Young

HB: Cincotta Gov Saad

C: Acres Cripps Walsh (Cerra)

HF: Martin Harry JSOS

FF: Motlop Charlie Durdin

Foll: TDK Docherty Hewett

I/C: Cerra (Cowan) Kennedy Fish Hollands

Sub: Cowan (LOB)

• I'm giving Walsh every chance until categorically ruled out
  • 3 first-gamers probably won't happen (in the 22 at least), so LOB will probably play, esp if Walsh doesn't get up, but he remains outside my 22/23.
  • Don't think we'll risk Marchy in addition to Gov, Durds and Martin
  • Love Cowan and would love for him to play in the 22, but just feel Cincotta will be given priority as the more mature body and as said, feel they won't play 3 first-gamers in the 22.
  • Feel like Voss is keen for Honey to cement a spot and I certainly wouldn't be against it. Love his power. Probably a certainty if Durds doesn't get up.

FB: Newman Weitering Young

HB: Cincotta Gov Saad

C: Acres Cripps Walsh (Cerra)

HF: Martin Harry JSOS

FF: Motlop Charlie Durdin

Foll: TDK Docherty Hewett

I/C: Cerra (Cowan) Kennedy Fish Hollands

Sub: Cowan (LOB)

• I'm giving Walsh every chance until categorically ruled out
  • 3 first-gamers probably won't happen (in the 22 at least), so LOB will probably play, esp if Walsh doesn't get up, but he remains outside my 22/23.
  • Don't think we'll risk Marchy in addition to Gov, Durds and Martin
  • Love Cowan and would love for him to play in the 22, but just feel Cincotta will be given priority as the more mature body and as said, feel they won't play 3 first-gamers in the 22.
  • Feel like Voss is keen for Honey to cement a spot and I certainly wouldn't be against it. Love his power. Probably a certainty if Durds doesn't get up.
Salivating at the thought of Walsh being a surprise inclusion. Doubt it will happen, but wouldn't it be something!

I refuse to take anything from that at all.

Vossy saw what he needed to see against Collingwood.

We set ourselves up for one fair dinkum crack in the preseason and put the cue firmly in the rack against the Swans and wrapped ourselves in cotton wool.

That game was essentially a run around and a marketing opportunity for the Swans.

I've never seen a team crack in harder in a practice match in my life than I have Sydney last Friday night. That might just be what Horse wanted to see from his players for round 1, but you could tell the first quarter they were playing like it was the real deal and we weren't super interested in going with them, in my opinion anyway. And they were kicking with the breeze to boot, 1-2 of their goals sailed through from 60m out.

Take that out of the equation and we match intensity, and they can't kick goals from the centre square with a wind, it would have been more even IMHO. I'm not happy with some of the things I saw personally from our group, but I'm not reading too much into it and haven't lost any optimism because of it.

Yeh Grimes killed him and has the pace to go with him. Curnow got beaten in both games against the Tigers last season. Balta is another they have who can match Curnow athletically, I actually think they have about the best options in the entire league. Hopefully Curnow is just too good for them.

Yeh Grimes killed him and has the pace to go with him. Curnow got beaten in both games against the Tigers last season. Balta is another they have who can match Curnow athletically, I actually think they have about the best options in the entire league. Hopefully Curnow is just too good for them.
Plus we kept giving them a loose behind the ball all game by playing our HF up at stoppage ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back