AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched the last two minutes again and although we missed easy shots to seal the game earlier, that 12 second coast to coast transition should never have happened. Surely they would drill for this exact scenario...
'They' do, 'we' don't.
But hopefully we learn from it... the very hard way. Please coaches- Show that piece of play ad nauseam.

Have to disagree about Jones. He was cooked because he put in the hard yards to make that tackle. He will ideally get back to his peak accuracy next season. To blame him but ignore Durham's missed goal (who I also agree was great), or langfords, or stringers is unfair on the kid
I’m with you and agree those other shots would’ve made a huge difference, I think he was physically shot by the end and he covers lots of ground. My comment was more about whether he’s, to borrow an NBA expression, got that dog in him. I just don’t see him as a grab it by the scruff guy, I rarely see him winning contests he’s not favoured in, that’s not the first time he’s missed an easy goal etc. I like the boy, I think that’s why I can be harsh on him, he needs a dose of the Michael Hurley competitiveness I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall that was a pretty enjoyable day at the footy. Big crowd, big rivals and a big finish.

Pleased with how they responded after a pathetic first quarter but we’re not gonna win many when we don’t turn up for the first 30 minutes. Our inability to defend transition is still our major weakness and I just don’t get why 17 other teams can and we just can’t ugh

Pretty happy in general

The last few minutes were terrible, hopefully just a lack of experience showing through. Even though our 2 most experienced made errors.

I said to judge us on the first 19 this game and the tigers game.

Pretty happy with that game, that first quarter was a huge concern though, felt like round 1 all over again

Im also not sure why opposition clubs dont tag Zerrett every week

Out: Redman and Phillips
In: Dambrosio and Stewart

First Crack just broke down the last play. It was Ham who got sucked in to a contest he had no chance of impacting and in the process left Bianco free on the wing.

Just watched it, yeah it's basically as I detailed it in my post. Ham just got sucked up into thinking he could disrupt Moore's possession. it's kind of boringly simple for such a ****ty end. A mistake was made. They also noted Heppell was on the bench having been on-field for the previous 60 minutes. King's going around trying to blame it on leadership so thankfully I can disagree with that giant idiot, I didn't see him put forward a convincing case of failure here that goes beyond the actual result and some of them being close to celebrating with Jones, which had no impact on them being able to impact the next contest. Afterall, it's just down to Ham making a mistake. He has to wear it. If Ham just sticks with Bianco and we win, then the structure/leadership worked? it's obviously not like that.

Just watched it, yeah it's basically as I detailed it in my post. Ham just got sucked up into thinking he could disrupt Moore's possession. it's kind of boringly simple for such a ****ty end. A mistake was made. They also noted Heppell was on the bench having been on-field for the previous 60 minutes. King's going around trying to blame it on leadership so thankfully I can disagree with that giant idiot, I didn't see him put forward a convincing case of failure here that goes beyond the actual result and some of them being close to celebrating with Jones, which had no impact on them being able to impact the next contest. Afterall, it's just down to Ham making a mistake. He has to wear it. If Ham just sticks with Bianco and we win, then the structure/leadership worked? it's obviously not like that.

Yeah the leadership part I thought was a wank in this scenario.

I mean, with the time constraints, Collingwood going down the middle was where the main danger presented, which all the senior players highlighted were on a man clogging the corridor, which is the whole reason Collingwood had to go wide.

it's a really astonishing decision from Ham. He can't have thought he could impact the mark. Maybe he thought Moore might go into the corridor and wanted to possibly be a factor on his kick? That doesn't make any sense either. Yeah he has to wear that.

I'm really interested in the Anonymous Essendon Player #1 who blocked the space into Elliott's lead which ended up impacting how Langford approached the kick from Bianco, just as a general "was it the right thing to do? did it have an impact on the result?" thought bubble. Ham just clearly ****ed up so that's no fun to think about

Yeah the leadership part I thought was a wank in this scenario.

I mean, with the time constraints, Collingwood going down the middle was where the main danger presented, which all the senior players highlighted were on a man clogging the corridor, which is the whole reason Collingwood had to go wide.
He also noted the chances of a score from a kick-in was 1 in 35 or something, but to use a term I learned from the NHL advanced stats, there has to be a Score Effects impact here. That is, yeah ok usually it is 1 in 35. But when the kick-in is happening with less than a minute on the clock and the team is going all out on attack, what are the odds then? In NHL it's well know that a team that is behind going into the last period ends up having more offence, because they're going all out and the other team isn't. Same theory likely applies here. He says it can never be allowed to happen, but it's happened before (Hawkins 2012 the example burnt into my mind). As always from King, he's almost about to say interesting stuff but then he falls into the same old boring talk.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back