AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Just another example of the frustration post 2000. Almost but not quite. A captain who doesn't make the team and inspire others. A woeful defensive set up and a forward line still not quite right. But yet still often enough in games have enough ball and shots to win. But some damn exciting kids including the big ruck mullet man. Brayshaw ASAP.

The most frustrating thing is the ease of that transition at the end. Appears all our players were expecting a goal by Jones and didn’t set up properly. Amateur hour.
At what point do we realise that this coaching group or playing group can’t or won’t get this defensive aspect sorted? I don’t know who’s to blame (maybe both) but it’s time to find out and act as we’re not going anywhere until it’s sorted.

Merret and Shiel dominated, Draper learnt how to mark, Wright still on the hunt for the Coleman and Ginnivan denied his only trick, the loss hurt but season was over anyway
Very true. Ginnivan will get punished every time he automatically raises those arms,eh. Whether the free is there or not, he’s ingrained that motion and know he’ll pay for it.

Despite the bad loss today, the future is looking great for Essendon

1. Top 5-7 pick in this years draft
2. Two million in salary cap to pick up one or two players if we want (Dunkley/Brayshaw?)
3. Davey twins
4. Hopefully we don’t get a death draw fixture again and get some momentum earlier in the season
5. The young kids we have are developing nicely/will be exciting to watch for many years.

Maybe I’m being biased but I don’t think we are that far off contending in a year or two. Go bombers

That Ginnivan clothesline made my day. And when it wasn't paid, it made my week.
What can you say, he’s screwed himself out of the right to be believed. He’s Lindsey Thomas redux. (Kek, I used dictation to write this and it came out as “re-ducks”.)

i dont understand how ham gets selected. 1 handball in half a game of footy is fairly much in line with his usual output.

surely there are better options.
Having Ham as the sub is a great plan until he has to play a half of football.

72% TOG in the 2nd half. 1 disposal. Waste of time/oxygen.

I'm at the point that on replay I'm pretty certain the poor defensive set-up being talked about was just down to Ham completely stuffing it up. They would have basically been only one Pies player and Essendon player on that side of the ground when Moore took the mark (another Essendon/Pies man-on-man contest drifted over to that side of ground and didn't matter as Moore kicked it over them) which basically means we were set-up. Ham just got sucked into thinking he could impact the Moore possession.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the end our lack of ability to defend their speed from half back and a few poor decisions/ skill errors killed us.
Needed to ice the game. Three set shots for zero goals cost.

Basically we need two small forwards with speed.

That goal should not have been allowed I watched the replay and jamie Elliott definitely opened up the angle more after the siren had gone should have been disallowed and you guys were robbed umpires always get them over the line it makes me sick
They allowed Jeremy Cameron to do that some rounds ago. He ran well wide.

Are people seriously not understanding why we'd rather have Ham as sub than Mass?

If Redman didn't come off and Mass was the sub the same people would be whinging about the fact he isn't playing football, but actually be right about it.

In all seriousness, we lost it in the first quarter with a number of weak efforts. Not Jones, not Ham, not Langford in the last minute
agree for the most part, but it was a little bit Jones - he should’ve kicked that

And Heppell kicking to snelling in a 2 on 1. With one of the 2 being Moore

Just retire already
Plenty of others made just as stupid decisions.

I can only assume people focusing on Heppell kicking it to a 2 on 1 have not watched a game of modern football before today

it happens. all the time. Shiel did it near the end, kicking it to no-one. Merrett did it in the first quarter, kicking it straight to Moore. Unfortunately we have a holding the ball rule and a "kick must be 15 meters" rule, so sometimes you need to pump it down the ground as that's the least worst option. it's no big deal whatsoever.
Collingwood won the game by kicking it to a 1 on 2 🤷‍♂️

Positives:

Showed resilience to come back from getting smashed first quarter
Ciukd have easily (should have) beaten top 4 team
Preserved draft pick
****ed over Carlton
Learnings

Negatives:

Lost to the ****ing scum

Back from the UK and first game I have seen in 5 years. Lost my voice. The noise and terraces shaking as Elliot kicked that goal was grand final like. Just an awesome game (thanks Dero). IMHO a lot to more to like about the bombers in the next few years than carringbush and a great game for the young guys to be part of. Go footy!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back