AFL Autopsy RND 22: Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate him but he is injury ravaged inside mid who doesn’t give us much outside of stoppage. We can play at most 1/2 or those guys each game.
Also if I’m list manager I’m trading Shiel and parish and keeping setters as he will give us size and protection for our younger guys and we won’t get anything in trade from him. It also won’t be an issue if you get guys go past him.

Also if I’m list manager I’m trading Shiel and parish and keeping setters as he will give us size and protection for our younger guys and we won’t get anything in trade from him. It also won’t be an issue if you get guys go past him.

The problem we face as a club; the only thing we ever win is trade week, ergo we value winning trade week, it means that if we lose any player we have lost the only thing we are 'good' at. The day we willingly trade a player is the day hell freezes over. Our biggest handbrake laid bare.

The problem we face as a club; the only thing we ever win is trade week, ergo we value winning trade week, it means that if we lose any player we have lost the only thing we are 'good' at. The day we willingly trade a player is the day hell freezes over. Our biggest handbrake laid bare.
That’s true, I think the current system of afl is to sign everyone so you have some pull at the trade table instead of getting the uncontracted price. Hope we see some gutsy moves this off season.
Parish is a good player but isn’t tough enough to play his role and not clinical enough for how much ball he gets.

The ball also went to the exact most obvious spot a desperate F50 entry could go to

Separately there were 4 or 5 moments through the night where players refused to hold their ground and mark the ball. Not even go back with the flight, just stand their ground.

Maybe this is part of what’s now ok in the concussion stakes but each instance would have been a droppable offense 20 years ago.
That infuriated me. The unimpeded leading lane, no one coming from the side to mark. Everyone was ball watching. Rubbish.

They all forgot Jordan Ridley wasn't playing, but all would have left it to Rids anyway.

What you need to do is get your head around the fact we are average and stop getting sucked in .
Every year you go flying off the ledge like Wyllie Coyote.
Hope is a bad thing.
watching at the pub with a Geelong supporter, Collingwood supporter and a fellow Bomber was always going to be difficult.

Ambition has well and truly been dashed by hope (we win)

It's limbo because we are too scared to be shit.
100% and exactly what I've been hoping for years. We seen so many teams go down ladder below us and then in a few years come right back above and and be contenders while we sit middle of the table. 2016 was the perfect chance.to justify being shit. Trade seniors players out, play young and build something.. but nope the Essedon Marketing Company had to play the "comeback story" angle instead. Really enjoyed that Elim Finals pumping, was truly our comeback story.

No coach is going to come in and gut the list (which is needed). They will back themselves to change players, at the end of the day they are coaches. You cant blame them.

But when you are a team of average players, they will always return to that. You get the out of the box performances every now and then so you think there is change, improvement, but then it reverts to what it really is, average. Same thing the other way.
The failure is either not identifying that it's average or deluding yourself that it is improvement.

Everyone is too scared to be bad, to waste the prime of someone like a Merrett. So they chase.
People get seduced by Draper forward, because he kicked 3, almost forgetting the poor forward craft and IQ of his other moments, and they think, "if he could do this every week". But he can't, he never will.
People applaud the McGrath rundown, ignoring the many other instances including shortly preceding that play where he is shrugged off with absolute ease.

We know how to fix this, prime access to high end talent. No matter how it's obtained. Until we get game changers into this club we will be stuck in average and go no where.

It's not human nature to be great. It's human nature to survive, to be average and do what you have to do to get by. That is normal. When you have something good happen, it's the special people that can stay focused and keep paying attention to detail, working to get better and not being satisfied with what they have accomplished.

Nick Saban
This is all true, plenty of supporters say they want the long proper rebuild, but they go off the handle when we lose, mentioning how many years it’s been etc. also went off the handle when Scott said 8 years for a proper rebuild and to contend. Can our supporters stop the hyperbolic negativity through a proper rebuild or not?

I really think we will see a rebuild without doing anything drastic just by the fact we will probably see Heppell goldy hind Shiel and a few other other older guys moved on which will expose more youth.

I for one would like to see a more drastic approach trade guys with currency and get some draft picks back, but I know I’m not gonna fly off the handle after every loss either.

We just needed more on field leadership during the last quarter, we'll fix that for the next game.

Nekminnut

200.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inspired by Raygun, the Essendon players take to breakdancing in an attempt to win the ball in the crucial final moments.

View attachment 2075339
Having only just watched Raygun for the first time a few minutes ago, to then open to this post had me in stitches.

Watching her I was almost convinced that she was pure satire, taking the absolute piss out of the whole concept of breakdancing as an Olympic sport.

But I think that Essendon is the ultimate satirical skit poking fun at the absurdity of adults investing so much emotional energy toward a bunch of blokes chasing an object around a stadium. They’re tormentingly mocking us through the medium of tragicomedy. Genius.

This is all true, plenty of supporters say they want the long proper rebuild, but they go off the handle when we lose, mentioning how many years it’s been etc. also went off the handle when Scott said 8 years for a proper rebuild and to contend. Can our supporters stop the hyperbolic negativity through a proper rebuild or not?

I really think we will see a rebuild without doing anything drastic just by the fact we will probably see Heppell goldy hind Shiel and a few other other older guys moved on which will expose more youth.

I for one would like to see a more drastic approach trade guys with currency and get some draft picks back, but I know I’m not gonna fly off the handle after every loss either.
People get upset losing because it’s the same spuds on the list that aren’t taking us forward and keep putting in shit efforts, if we are losing but playing kids and developing a side it’s understandable

I'm glad I'm in Greece 🇬🇷

For some reason the result made me smile.
Something similar happened to me back in 2012. It was when all the injuries started, and the club went from a fairly good top 4 candidate to losing just about every week. You know, dropping away as the season goes on (so glad that's stopped).

I remember going from rage to "oh well, it's kinda funny" and just detaching myself emotionally. I sat at Etihad watching them lose and just started daydreaming.

2013 sucked me back in, but cooked me emotionally (everyone remembers that fun year, right?)

2014 I remember thinking "well this is the year they'll make up for losing their finals spot". When they lost that final to North, I once again got angry before realising it just wasn't worth it anymore.

By the time 2015 rolled around, it had lost all emotional connection for me. Then the WADA challenge popped up and later the suspension, which just sealed the deal.

Since then I've had zero emotional investment in the club or AFL. I enjoy watching Essendon when they win, but I refuse to give up better things in life for a corrupt organisation and a club that's just a big bunch of losers. It's like a 2 hour TV show I watch as a distraction, but it's more slapstick comedy than the tense drama it used to be.

What kid deserved a game that didn’t get one?
It’s the whole year and last year and previous ones, it’s taken till the season is basically over for Robert’s, Hobbs and Bryan to get a run. We only offered D’Ambrosio one year and kept farken Hep on the list and even if D’Ambrosio stayed on the list he’d probably just be playing VFL

One thing that is really obvious is how poorly we set up around the contest . It is a dogs breakfast and it is no wonder when we flick out a quick handball it gets turned over as there is simply not structure or positioning. How many times do we handball to a spot where there should be someone but they are too close to the contest or have just drifted into the traffic.

Like bees to the honeypot.

Been happening consistently for the last few years.

Brad needed to turf the assistant coaches after his first year.

mac andrew had kicked 4 goals in his entire career prior to tonight, yet kicks 4 against us, is there anything more essendon than letting a spud have his best game?
He is not even close to a spud lol. He's a talented youngster taken in the top 5 that proved himself at AFL level. He kicked only 4 before today because he is a defender.

No coach is going to come in and gut the list (which is needed). They will back themselves to change players, at the end of the day they are coaches. You cant blame them.

But when you are a team of average players, they will always return to that. You get the out of the box performances every now and then so you think there is change, improvement, but then it reverts to what it really is, average. Same thing the other way.
The failure is either not identifying that it's average or deluding yourself that it is improvement.

Everyone is too scared to be bad, to waste the prime of someone like a Merrett. So they chase.
People get seduced by Draper forward, because he kicked 3, almost forgetting the poor forward craft and IQ of his other moments, and they think, "if he could do this every week". But he can't, he never will.
People applaud the McGrath rundown, ignoring the many other instances including shortly preceding that play where he is shrugged off with absolute ease.

We know how to fix this, prime access to high end talent. No matter how it's obtained. Until we get game changers into this club we will be stuck in average and go no where.

It's not human nature to be great. It's human nature to survive, to be average and do what you have to do to get by. That is normal. When you have something good happen, it's the special people that can stay focused and keep paying attention to detail, working to get better and not being satisfied with what they have accomplished.

Nick Saban
The reason why we're too scared to be shit is because we're a club that primarily focuses on profits and revenue. A corporation. The club fears losing members and attendances more than building a viable list, which is why we always take shortcuts.

We have coteries who would immediately work to take out any coach finishing bottom 4. We have fans who demand the coach be sacked less than 2 years into their coaching tenure. We have a reactive club that only worries about generating revenue without doing the work to build from the ground up. The ultimate goal it seems is an EF final win rather than a premeirship.

Looking back, removing Rutten was a big mistake, at least at the time we did it. The players basically decided they didn't want to play under him "because he was too soft" on them. So what have we gained from that with a supposed "tougher" coach? Nothing. In hindsight, that was just excuses a soft 2022 from the playing group. It was shifting the blame to the coach like we always do. Shifting blame is how Dodoro kept his job for so long.

We should have stuck with Rutten and only kept the players willing to play for him. Then if we decide Rutten is not the right coach, we move him on after gutting the list.

Like bees to the honeypot.

Been happening consistently for the last few years.

Brad needed to turf the assistant coaches after his first year.
Actually it is not a coach thing. Not saying a shake up would not hurt but it is more a footy IQ thing.

Missing goals is infectious, every miss piles on pressure for the next one. It was hard to watch but at least we were trying to win the game. Relentless attacking the corridor and defending the field.

I don’t know what’s worse the heart break of our loss or the embarrassment in effort in Carlton’s.

One thing I will say about this year is the majority of games we have played hard till the final siren, even though we haven’t always executed well. It will put us in good stead moving forward

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 22: Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back