Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v North Friday 29th March 4.20PM @ Marvel - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Elijah Hollands, Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering
OUT: David Cuningham (calf), Brodie Kemp, Lewis Young
NEW: Elijah Hollands

Round 3 team v North Melbourne
Backs:Caleb MarchbankJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLewis Young

Two things. I think the North game will be viewed as a soft game and an opportunity to bring players back and get a real AFL game into them before a much tougher game. The Fremantle game will be viewed as a tough game as they look pretty good. So I think we are going to want to be playing Freo with a strong side and that means we will want a game into some of these star players who are returning.

B: Boyd Weitering McGovern
HB: Saad Marchbank Williams
C: Acres Cripps Hollands
HF: Cottrell McKay Cuningham
F: Owies Curnow Martin
OB: DeKoning Cerra Hewett
IC: Newman Carroll Kennedy Fantasia
SUB: E Hollands
EM: Kemp Fogarty Motlop

IN/OUT:
Weitering/Young - Young had done a fair job at nullifying some good key forwards but Weitering is a few levels above him. He's got a lot more layers to his game. This is an obvious one. Weitering improves us a great deal, even if a little underdone.

Marchbank/Kemp - Marchbank is a level above Kemp who has been good. Marchbank is key position size and a genuine modern day CHB while Kemp is more third tall who can pinch hit as a CHB. Kemp has done well, I'm happy with his game but Marchbank has more layers and is more suited. Better in the air, gets involved a bit more when we have the ball, is an elite runner who can push up the ground and has elite footy IQ as a defender. He finished last season really well in the CHB position and he will resume there in this game IMO. I'm predicting a real breakout year for Marchbank. The question is about his conditioning. He may not be there yet.

Martin/Fogarty - Fogarty is a workman and an effort player who tackles well and applies good pressure. Martin is a level above him however. He's an elite footballer when fit. Assuming he is fit and ready to go he walks back into our side IMO. There is a possibility we may give him a VFL game but I don't think we will. I think the North game will be his warm up and the Freo game we will need him firing. Jack Martin does what Fogarty does and a whole lot more. IMO Martin is a player we have really missed.

Durdin/E Hollands - Hollands comes in but not in full. IMO he comes in as the sub with the idea that he needs a game, needs to prove himself and he can replace a lot of players on the field as well as being an impact player. So to me he makes the perfect Sub. Durdin unlucky, came on looked good in a brief moment, but some good VFL games will hopefully get him pushing hard for senior selection.

Notes
I don't know if Motlop will come back in this week but if he does it will be for Fantasia. I have still got questions around the defensive aspects of Motlop's game and his tank. Fantasia has been quiet but I get the feeling he will get one more game. Easily slips into the Fogarty role IMO. Felt he was nearly there on a lot of occasions so is still settling in. TOG was fairly low so he's probably still building fitness.

That IMO is our best 7 backline. Having Marchbank and Weitering back gives us a huge injection of talent, intercept marking, two way run and footy IQ. That is as good a backline as there is in the game. It's the best backline we have had since 1995 or possibly earlier.

O Hollands is under a bit of pressure to keep his spot IMO. Two weeks of low possessions will put you under the pump. Wing can be like that and his efforts have likely gone into defending but it does open the door a little for someone with good form. Cottrell has been mentioned moving full time there but I feel he is comfortable in his position at half forward and part time wing.

The forward line is a little bit better. Definitely has upped the talent. But it depends if those players come in underdone or not.

Walsh is a likely in in the following weeks I feel. He will probably replace Carroll but I'm not 100% on that. Carroll could hold his spot with form and that could put Kennedy under the pump.

I think playing E Hollands as sub gives him the opportunity to prove and cement himself in the side while not just giving him a game. He should fill the sub role really well. I can see us subbing Martin off early and giving him a run in this team.

Kemp I would like to see trialled on a wing in the VFL. There are a few reasons for this. One is that he has really good speed, knows how to sit out the back of contests and receive, he's a good run and carry player. The other reason is that he would be a really good player to get back in defence and sit in the hole as he is already good at reading the ball coming in and intercept marking. Acres is great at this, Hollands is ok, on potential Kemp would be elite. It's all about his tank but the VFL is a good place to build on this.

Add Walsh and possibly Motlop to this team and you have our 2024 best 22. So it's really exciting how things are coming along for us.

It is getting harder to pick the team now as our list is a genuine top 4 list. It comes down to picking the better and better form players.
2024 best 22 will have some curve balls thrown at it :)

It's great to see the emergence of players like Carroll (and hopefully Binns too).

They have had the luxury of fine tuning their skills at VFL level for a while.
We didn't have this luxury in the recent past; and the same with load & injury management.

1. I think it's fine for posters to be cautious and have varying levels of trust. We haven't proven anything yet.

2. I'm not sure why posters aren't accepting of others opinions and instead trying to control the narrative or suppress anything contrary.

3. I'm cautiously optimistic. I see reasons for and against our potential success.

I agree with every point above and have come to realise that anyone who disagrees with any view I put forward at any time is obviously having a bad day as there could be no other reason for such erroneous behaviour.

I agree with every point above and have come to realise that anyone who disagrees with any view I put forward at any time is obviously having a bad day as there could be no other reason for such erroneous behaviour.

Well said.

Ins: JustaBattler
Outs: Arrow

Yes, i know...effectively no change ;)

Is it too much to ask for a comfortable win ?
No. This should be a 10 goal drubbing. It may well be. We should beat them in centre clearances and if we get the ball into f50 quickly their defence will be overwhelmed …I can’t see how they stop H and Charlie. They could easily kick 5 each.

Danger game, it's always their Grand Final when they play us.

We SHOULD win comfortably, but we better turn up with proper intent.

Is it too much to ask for a comfortable win ?
Absolutely! While it's nice to be winning the close ones, I remember the Gather Round (was there and it hurt!) when we had our first loss for the year, and it was a complete smashing! Took more than the wind out of our sails, took the confidence gained from the close wins previously.....
A couple of decent floggings will be the elixir required, mainly for us .......

Yep, I think the tight win over Richmond may help, but certainly need to be in the right mind set and with a few soldiers back we should win comfortably…..

Absolutely not ! While it's nice to be winning the close ones, I remember the Gather Round (was there and it hurt!) when we had our first loss for the year, and it was a complete smashing! Took more than the wind out of our sails, took the confidence gained from the close wins previously.....

I’d like to make Clarkson grovel.

I’d like us to be 12 goals up in the final quarter and then put 12 players on Nick Larkey.

I’d like someone to go the North Melbourne coaches box and punch a hole in the wall.

I’d like someone to go and punch a hole in Clarkson but hey let bygones be bygones.
How did you get your name Agro?

Just curious

They lost their grand final comfortably last year... scoreboard flattered them in the end as we took the foot off the accelerator when it was well and truly over.

Sure, they might have improved since then... but we have too.

Stopping one of Charlie or Harry is hard enough for them, stopping both is mission impossible.

While we played poorly against Richmond in terms of decision making and execution... the intent was there and that's what won us the game. Bring that intensity and polish up the execution and decision making and we're belting this mob.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. This should be a 10 goal drubbing. It may well be. We should beat them in centre clearances and if we get the ball into f50 quickly their defence will be overwhelmed …I can’t see how they stop H and Charlie. They could easily kick 5 each.
Harry & Charlie kicked 10 against them last year. I think that their tall defensive stocks have got worse since then.

All I want is the 4 points in the bank and no injuries out of this game!

These type of games always make me nervous!!

The competition is that even this year that if your slightly off, u could easily drop a game your expected to win

I think you need the right balance

Weitering and Marchbank as pure defensive consistency

Gov, Williams, Saad, Newman Boyd as the rebound flair

I agree, Kemp is naturally more attacking and aggressive at the contest, but his brain fades are still way too costly. I'd prefer to see him as a 3rd tall forward
I agree, but as a side note the Champion data guy (Hoyne?) says our turnover game has improved significantly (small sample size) over last season, largely due to Gov and Kemp.

I agree, but as a side note the Champion data guy (Hoyne?) says our turnover game has improved significantly (small sample size) over last season, largely due to Gov and Kemp.
Improved turnover game is built on system rather than individuals. IMO Gov and Kemp are two beneficiaries down back as pressure around the ball makes intercepting easier.
I am wary that while our scores from turnover stats have improved markedly, contested numbers haven't been as good. Probably want to even out our approach as the season progresses.

Improved turnover game is built on system rather than individuals. IMO Gov and Kemp are two beneficiaries down back as pressure around the ball makes intercepting easier.
I am wary that while our scores from turnover stats have improved markedly, contested numbers haven't been as good. Probably want to even out our approach as the season progresses.
I wonder if we are putting less numbers at the stoppage -Lose more stoppages but get more intercepts/turnovers

Bingo

Voss would know the balance is still a work in progress

Absolutely! While it's nice to be winning the close ones, I remember the Gather Round (was there and it hurt!) when we had our first loss for the year, and it was a complete smashing! Took more than the wind out of our sails, took the confidence gained from the close wins previously.....

was there too, 8 odd hours in the car, was ready to go back home before id finished my first can in the stands

I wonder if we are putting less numbers at the stoppage -Lose more stoppages but get more intercepts/turnovers
Quite possible. A change in positioning around stoppages (mix of inside/outside) or just the different players who are attending stoppages could also impact.
Can't say I've looked at that closely ... but given how much the game is scrutinised, I'm sure there'll be someone working on a heatmap/stat as hard evidence of a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back