Autopsy Rnd 3, Hawthorn vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey
Great effort today, after two very tough weeks. It was great to see them run this one out.

Birchall, Stratton, Mitchell, Hodge, Shiels and Cyril in our very best today. Jed, Brad and Doc were also really good. Great mix out there now. Must admit I was worried with Gunners as the sub we would run out of gas, but huge effort today all round.

That goal from full back was exciting to watch.

Certainly got a nice run from the umps today, but really most of the ones we got were there. Nice to get a good run all the same.
Hey Changa10. If we win the flag will you take your top off.

Reported though?
We all know Hodgey's intention was for the ball but if things had gone wrong Harry O could've ended up like Rohan.
but nothing did go wrong and that's what is wrong with these rules. How many times have players slid into contests and there has been only one broken leg in recent memory. Its a stupid knee jerk reaction by the AFL after one bad incident. Players are not being rewarded for desperation now.

but nothing did go wrong and that's what is wrong with these rules. How many times have players slid into contests and there has been only one broken leg in recent memory. Its a stupid knee jerk reaction by the AFL after one bad incident. Players are not being rewarded for desperation now.
True, the rule is there to stop congestion & keep players on their feet.

However, that is not what the AFL tell us. They have to disguise it as in prevent injury rule.

If it's true (reported for that incident), still sux harry o can get done for it potentially.

Fantastic win. Really hit them hard, and applied pressure constantly.

Amazed to see Swan had 33 touches. Never seen a game where a player with that many had such little impact.

The last time we played them?

Fantastic team effort today. Especially from starting off slow and then coming together and running over the top of them. Great to see Hodge getting back to his best as well. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Luke Hodge :hearts:
What a ****ing great footballer he is. Skill, touch, nous, work rate, positioning, leadership - something that I know you guys are all aware of but I know his lack of time on the park over the last couple of seasons has seen me forget his sheer awesomeness. Himself playing to somewhere near his best makes you guys an infinitely better team.

Amazed to see Swan had 33 touches. Never seen a game where a player with that many had such little impact.

My partner asked why we never tag him and I said for the same reason we don't tag Kerr - 90% of his possessions are inconsequential - he no doubt though got Brownlow votes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving Buddy forward pressure and tackling. Great temperament too with the stupid frees paid against him. The one he was 2 on 1 in a marking contest, was getting sheparded out of the contest, turned around to fight through it and got the free against him was mind blowing.

Love the kids playing, hope they introduce more throughout the year. It refreshes senior players to have the kids in the team, the enthusiasm etc.

Stratton has full confidence back, love having a player willing to take contested marks in the back half.

Bailey really struggled, just gets pushed aside easily.

My partner asked why we never tag him and I said for the same reason we don't tag Kerr - 90% of his possessions are inconsequential - he no doubt though got Brownlow votes

Which is why I've always wondered why they never clamp down on Mitch. Wasn't a huge game today but he usually tears them apart.

Which is why I've always wondered why they never clamp down on Mitch. Wasn't a huge game today but he usually tears them apart.

They just back their mids against any in the comp. Today they got bested.

Especially loved seeing Pendlebury caught holding the ball in the middle. I love the way he plays, and sually the guy seems to have so much time when he gets the ball. Not today, Scott... not today.

Loving Buddy forward pressure and tackling. Great temperament too with the stupid frees paid against him. The one he was 2 on 1 in a marking contest, was getting sheparded out of the contest, turned around to fight through it and got the free against him was mind blowing.

Love the kids playing, hope they introduce more throughout the year. It refreshes senior players to have the kids in the team, the enthusiasm etc.

Stratton has full confidence back, love having a player willing to take contested marks in the back half.

Bailey really struggled, just gets pushed aside easily.
Really, i thought he did very well in the ruck. Actually thought we should have subbed Hale before him

Had 49 nothing touches last year against us. Just goes to show that disposals doesn't mean a whole lot, it's how you use it as Hodgey showed today. 30 touches of class > 30 sideways handballs. Swanny did do a good few things early though so I'll give him credit for that.

Really, i thought he did very well in the ruck. Actually thought we should have subbed Hale before him

I really worry about him around the ground. His best game last week v west coast but Cox suits him as an opponent in ruck contests more. He struggles a lot with physical rucks like lynch and Hudson today. Just doesn't have the strength through the legs to lower his centre of gravity and hold ground.
Like I said I thought he was struggling today.

I caught up with a mate today, and watched the game from the Olympic standing room, on the wing. I've witnessed some tools at the footy in my time, but there was a crew of outspoken c**kheads there for the majority of the game today who really lifted the bar. So much so that a Collignwood fan in front of them turned around and told them to shut up as "you're the sorts of people that give the rest of us a bad name". They then turned on her, and berated her also. They then mocked the surrounding crowd, daring them to call security or police.
Unfortunately there was a 9-10yr old boy with this group, and he felt it necessary to yell obscenities at the seated people in front of him before he left as well, before catching up with his sulking father.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Anyway, unfortunately they'd left long before the final siren, like the turds that they are, so it was a little disappointing they didn't get to enjoy the loss fully.

To the game,
What a great way to put away the Pies. Absolutely steam rolled them in the second half, regardless of our pretty average ball handling skills at times.

Doc Duryea made a few fumbles, but he showed that he also has the tenacity and poise to have a future at the top level. Hats off to the bloke, and i hope he takes the next step.

I won't go over everyone else as the majority of senior players played their part, and it was a great team effort, but it was great to see vintage Hodge, that goal from Bud and the continual improvement of Jed and Hill.

A great win but must say was very nervous in the first half. They certainly opened us up a bit a la Geelong and were on top with their pressure. Some of our blokes fumbled a fair bit throughout the game and couldn't make tackles stick which was a worry. Still, a great win and good games by all the youngsters. Thought Duryea played a very good first game and loved the tackle he laid in the middle to win a free. Seems to have some real body strength which augers well for our backline. Hill always busy and Anderson seems to be relishing playing at the highest level and taking on the likes of a Pendlebury. Scary stuff.

Makes for a very interesting season indeed.

I really worry about him around the ground. His best game last week v west coast but Cox suits him as an opponent in ruck contests more. He struggles a lot with physical rucks like lynch and Hudson today. Just doesn't have the strength through the legs to lower his centre of gravity and hold ground.
Like I said I thought he was struggling today.
To me he started dominating in the ruck after the first quarter and was a big reason we got back into the game in a big way. Not to mention his work once the ball goes to ground is pretty good for a big man and he competes and tackles whereas Hale dives in and flops around like a fish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rnd 3, Hawthorn vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back