Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not about Polson, who I think should go back to VFL level and run through the middle

I think the inclusion this week should be Kennedy and the likes of Fisher, Murphy, Thomas, Gibbons could rotate forward
Yeah I think Polson would benefit from a run in the middle with the NB, this is where he had his best run of form for us a couple of years ago, was really playing some good footy at that time then we brought him up to the seniors for our trip to Port that year and we got smashed, as did he, and he has struggled to recover the form he showed since then. I still think he has the attributes to play at the top level he just needs to rediscover that form and most importantly the confidence he had at that time.

McKay has been awful as a backup ruckman this year. He doesn’t have the tank and blows up far too quickly.

Against Richmond and Port we used him in that role. To make it work Bolton started him off the ground each quarter, brought him in to go into the ruck, then pushed forward when Phillips came back on. Against Richmond 17 minutes had passed and we were 3 goals down before he set foot inside 50.

In time, he will be a great backup ruck. Right now, I think Casboult has to play, unfortunately.

Good point(s)

Ins from last years game:
Kreuzer,Walsh,McGovern,Gibbons,Newman.

The first 3 worth 5-6 goals alone setting them up.

Krez the big one acts as a midfielder when not rucking,very important to our structure.

Fisher and Jones injured early. Mitchell dominated. Things will be vastly different, thankfully.

McEvoy wont be able to physically dominate Kreuzer but will probably win the taps more often than not in the first half especially till Kreuzer's grinding game takes its toll on McEvoy - so careful positioning at set plays center and ball ups around the ground will have a big say in midfield clearances. I thought the contested ball structures were smarter against Doggies an tbh I thought our midfield beat theirs in general play which was unexpected by me - far less of everyone piling in and allowing easy exits to unmarked players- against Hawthorn this will be even more important test of maturing 'nouce' around the ball.

I'm not convinced at all by our defensive structure which is on the slow side of snail paced in rebound - apart from Jones and Weitering I think the rest look and play very 'flakey' - Hawthorn's forwards are a class above Doggies/Suns/Sydney - so if between the arcs play is down - Hawthorn will punish our defensive structures through leg speed and smarts- Newman/Simpson/Thomas/Plowman are going to have to run a lot better as a unit than they have shown in previous games to achieve similar defensive results.

I don't rate the Hawthorn defensive structure very highly - and I think our forward line is on the improve - with equal clearances and contested possessions and with an improving entry capability - Carlton's height and athleticism can challenge Hawthorn IF kicks are thought through and delivered to forward's advantage.

Midfield battle will decide result and Carlton will have to clearly win it as Hawthorn will be much more efficient - sans 40 possession a game Mitchell - I think we might be even on paper at least with their midfield contested ball and tackling if not slightly ahead.

La la land dram time result for me would be Cripps/SPS stay at last week's disposal and DE counts and Fisher/Dow lift their game a notch - we are building to a break out midfield dominance game and it could happen any game including this one.

Might sound harsh but speaking purely from my perspective on how games a re won and lost - as usual I expect Murphy/Simpson/Polson/LoB to be drags on performance for one reason or another - but beggars can't be choosers.

I continue to maintain that our season doesn't really start until Charlie/Cuningham/Williamson and Kennedy are all playing - SOJ's performance as a developing utility player is interesting to watch - as is Gibbons' performance when he gets midfield time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are going to beat these Hawks into the ground.

Let's make a real statement.

The Hawks glory days are over. The rise of the Blues is just beginning
Yep agree, crumbling dynasty. Roughhead best described as lumbering now a days (still been ok) but looks frustrated that he cant do what he once used to. Burgoyne out and Puopolo not the same player he once was either

Still a solid disciplined outfit but when we have the best player in the comp and a couple of young guns on fire we are every chance if we even remotely turn up

Sunday night headline: Blues Too: Brisbane have gone past hawks in 2018, now Carlton have too in 2019. Is the dynasty finally over??

I actually think Charlie is trying to do to much when he does get the ball and has been since late last year, needs to stop trying to do the exceptional and just get back to what he does best, run, Mark turn kick simple, not try and take players on with baulks and side steps or trying to play on too quickly just run mark turn kick.

Back to basics until he gets his mojo back then happy for him to take it on.

Charlie will thrive if we play like we did last week.

If we move the ball quick, clean, instinctively and kick it out in front of our leading forwards there is not a man alive that could stop curnow.

Every time we have kicked to curnow this year it's been bombed on his head/ in a pack/ to the advantage of the opposition.

It all starts in the midfield. If we win our share of the ball and move it clean, quick and pick the best options going forward Curnow, McKay and McGovern can all thrive... even with Casboult in the team.

Get some good smalls at their feet eventually too and it's a cracking forward line. Cuners is a big step forward if we bring him in this week.

I think Cuningham is a definite in for Polson.

Would rather see Charlie Curnow play on the ball than Kennedy. I think Kennedy is about last on the pecking order of mids at the moment and that's because he's too slow and imobile at AFL level. Bit of an emergency for Cripps. He may make it as a tagger but I am really not convinced. Midfield balance is good, clearance work is great.

Some tough calls to make, the Norther Blues should have a great side in this weekend

Not sure we would of won the game, but richmond rnd1 last year Kennedy and Cripps were tearing them a new one. We turned to shit once he hurt his ankle. He is a very good footballer, not athlete, footballer.

Not sure we would of won the game, but richmond rnd1 last year Kennedy and Cripps were tearing them a new one. We turned to shit once he hurt his ankle. He is a very good footballer, not athlete, footballer.
People forget....

Kreuzer vs McEvoy will be a great contest.

McEvoy is great at plonking himself a kick behind the ball and intercepting balls that come out of their forward line.

We need to use the ball smart and find easy release kicks like we did last week.

We bomb away he will kill us.

Very true...They are so clean with the ball and have mastered the practice of keeping possession and patiently getting the ball into their 50. They have scored 87, 87, 87, 69 and 90 so far. So we probably need to score a decent score to get over them.

And in two of those games they suffered two injuries during the game.

We have won 1 of the last 16 games against hawthorn...i know things are different now and we have a decent chance, but some of the over confidence I've seen in here is staggering.

Playing at an unfamiliar ground doesn't help either.

forget what?

How good Kennedy was in his first game for us..

Cripps/Kennedy/Kreuzer combo destroyed the Tuggers in that first quarter and half in 2018 ..absolutely destroyed them and then both Kennedy and Kreuzer - gone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back