Autopsy Rnd 7, Hawthorn vs Melbourne, MCG, 11th May

Remove this Banner Ad

Sick of the amount of times we obtain possession in our back half only to kick it sideways while we wait for the forwards to get back in our forward half. Absolute debacle. Kicking for goal was absolutely terrible too.

To be honest, worst "win" since THAT St Kilda game.

I thought Hale was pretty good tonight albeit lacking a little polish (wasn't alone there). Thought he followed up the contest well, just needs to get the ball to foot rather than shin a bit more often.

Birch - Star. Melbourne obviously identified Guerra as the man to stop from rebounding, and Birchall did as he pleased.

Lewis' work in the contest was great again, probably leading the Crimmins. Sewell was probably our best player, certainly early on, thankfully wasn't dropped as some were hoping around here.

Gilham - Thought he played well in his comeback game, rapt to have him back.

As for our gameplan where all players are instructed to flood the opposition's half of the ground when they have the ball - its rubbish. On countless occasions others sides will turn it over and our player with the football will look up and have nobody to kick it to, forcing him to chip it sideways or backwards. 90% of the time that becomes a failed opportunity to score.
The question needs to be asked, does pushing every single one of our forwards into the opponents half force enough turnovers to make up for the number of missed "fast break" opportunities it inevitably results in?

Clarkson's been watching too much basketball - a game with MUCH less ground for players to cover, with far more stoppages and regular time outs when players can rest.
It's stupid to expect AFL players to play a similar gamestyle, but that's basically what he's forcing them to do. He obviously likes to think of himself as an innovator but frankly I don't see too many other clubs copying his tactics.
Suffice to say, I'm not an Alistair Clarkson fan. I don't really like the way he's using the talent at his disposal and I'm not convinced that a simpler, more traditional gameplan wouldn't suit our players better.

I seriously question if you watch other games apart from Hawthorn? If you think this is a Hawthorn exclusive, and Clarkson deserves the credit, I encourage you to observe some other matches, maybe even sit at the top of the Southern Stand and take note of how teams "press up" to lock the ball in their forward line.

Interesting to follow the comments of the club i love and the comments of the Dees.
The entire club (Melbourne) reeks of a lack of support as is evidenced by their 65 post mortem comments, 4 of whcih were made by Hawks supporters.

Can i say the following.

Stop bagging Clarko - that is not the Hawthorn way
If we lose - Sure, disect what we did but keep it positive
We are on track. Dont worry about what the media is saying. Yes the Eagles, Crows, Bombers, Blues and swans are flying. But guess what. Round 7 does not make a champion and the Hawks, Pies and Cats will all have a say about that come the bye in round 11ish

go hawks

Nice to get a big win, still didn't look amazing but now that we're through the tough part of our draw hopefully some consistant winning will play our boys back into top form :thumbsu:.

Hope Ossie is OK, but we still have Gibbo and Hodge to come back in, with a few others pushing for selection so it's far from the end of the world.

We need to start converting more if we are to have a chance against the top teams. We are always going to be up against it when they have guys like Cloke and Hawkins running around inside 50 so we really need to stop putting scoreboard pressure on ourselves. But we've had that issue for some time now. At least Rough's kicking has been pretty good since his return, if Buddy can get his radar back on track hopefully this issue will resolve itself.

Other good things to see were Gilly back in the side and Poppy not as sub!!

Nice to get the 4 points, bring on the Dockers :thumbsu:.

We are on track. Dont worry about what the media is saying. Yes the Eagles, Crows, Bombers, Blues and swans are flying. But guess what. Round 7 does not make a champion and the Hawks, Pies and Cats will all have a say about that come the bye in round 11ish

go hawks

Hate to disagree but we were rubbish tonight and everyone of those clubs you mentioned would have smashed us.

We are far from being "on track".
That performance tonight is what middle of the road sides put up.
It was crap yet so many seem content with it.

Hate to disagree but we were rubbish tonight and everyone of those clubs you mentioned would have smashed us.

66 point win and we played average. We are one of those teams that get brought down by shit teams. Let's not forget that Geelong didn't beat Melbourne by near as much.

28 more I50's
165 more disposals
52 more contested posessions
21 more scoring shots

The stats say we absolutely smashed them, yet our Laurel & Hardy approach to goal kicking and choosing the right options tell me we are far from a good side.

Freo and Richmond over the next two weeks could get ugly if we keep dishing this crap up.

I thought this was evident with Buddys last shot at goal when he easily could have squared up to Lewis, but insisted on having another crack from the boundary and missing.....again.

I didn't mind that. Last quarter and we're 10 goals up. Perfect time for some goalkicking practice in a match situation.

Suckling is way too cute with his kicking and needs a kick in the ass or a run at Box Hill.

Pffft, tell that to David Hale.

66 point win and we played average. We are one of those teams that get brought down by shit teams. Let's not forget that Geelong didn't beat Melbourne by near as much.

A wins a win. Shoe was fantastic. Poor kicking but some weeks that happens. Once the back is settled with Gibbo things will look even better. We are building. Go Hawks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A nothing game so no point talking up young against that mob. He ran around on his own for the night. Let me see young step it up against some quality opposition.

I am worried about suckling big time. He goes to ground under pressure and sides are working out how to drag him back to the goal line where he is vulnerable. His kicking at times this year had been comedy gold and he needs a rocket and a spell at city oval.

Hodge and Gibbo in
Ossie and suckling out

Wow!
I would really like those two hours back.
I cant recall coming home so mad and frustrated after an 11 goal win.
Any half reasonable side would have belted us out of flag contention tonight.

I felt it was a game between year 12 kids and year 9 kids. The bigger kids were always going to win so they played selfish football like they were just trying to oudo their mates.

I thought this was evident with Buddys last shot at goal when he easily could have squared up to Lewis, but insisted on having another crack from the boundary and missing.....again.

I can't think of one highlight the game was that poor.

I will add J Lewis is an elite footballer and should be our Captain. If not now, very soon.
Suckling is way too cute with his kicking and needs a kick in the ass or a run at Box Hill.
29 DISP @ 83% Eff .....:rolleyes:
About sums up the way you see football really ......Did i mention 13 marks as well ...??

28 more I50's
165 more disposals
52 more contested posessions
21 more scoring shots

The stats say we absolutely smashed them, yet our Laurel & Hardy approach to goal kicking and choosing the right options tell me we are far from a good side.

Freo and Richmond over the next two weeks could get ugly if we keep dishing this crap up.

Hard man to please.... We won the game by 11 goals and did not get out of second gear.
A win is a win at this stage.

Yes I agree that in accuracy would hurt us against the good sides, but we had 40 shots on goal. It will come good.

Plus great to see Gilly back, just what we need I reckon.

Let's not forget that Geelong didn't beat Melbourne by near as much.

Agree with Josh...

I think a frustrating first quarter and game long innaccuracy are jaundicing people from seeing how we dominated the ball.

I can't see how one can surmise that any other club would have 'smashed' us unless one is being overly negative.

Way up in the clearances, 420 possessions to about 250. Many other stats that show one team completely dominating another

There were some missed marks, and passages of play that didn't quite come off, but a 66 point margin that should have been 110 simply cannot equate to your conclusion, Luke.

How many of those inefficient disposals resulted in Melbourne goals? I'd guess a few.
I'd guess not, considering melbourne only kicked six goals for the night. Sucklings one of those players like Rioli-you have to take the good with the bad-sure he mucks it up every now and then but minutes later he more than compensates for it by doing something special.

The negatives:
Initial fumbles, and very poor kicking for goal robbed us of a chance to really boost our percentage.
Injury to Ossie.

The positives - which greatly outweigh the negatives:
Gilly's return. A VERY GOOD GAME FOR HIS FIRST UP, and with Shoey, and Stratts improving every game, our backline is starting to look good.
Both our vice captains played inspiring games. Loved to see Rough taking contested marks around the ground, it seemed to inspire Hale also.
Young's game would help his confidence, and he is an asset when he runs and carries.
Shiels is getting back to something like his best form after a slow start.
Sewell stuck it up all his knockers.
We will improve on that performance.
Marching toward the flag!!

I am worried about suckling big time. He goes to ground under pressure and sides are working out how to drag him back to the goal line where he is vulnerable. His kicking at times this year had been comedy gold and he needs a rocket and a spell at city ovalt

Equal second highest disposals (29) at an efficiency of 82.76% and highest dreamteam points on the ground (127), from a guy who has only played 36 games and is still learning.

Oh yeah..... lets get rid of him to Box Hill and halt his development :rolleyes:

How many of those inefficient disposals resulted in Melbourne goals? I'd guess a few.
Better yet, you find me a team, backline or player who runs at 100% efficiency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rnd 7, Hawthorn vs Melbourne, MCG, 11th May

Remove this Banner Ad

Back