Preview RND 9 - Carlton v Melbourne Sunday 27th May 3.15PM @ MCG - Team Post #391

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melbourne has had almost 30mm of rain since 9 this morning, with more rain forecast over the weekend. I'd be amazed if we played all 3 ruckmen on Sunday. Surely Kreuzer could do with a rest.

agree hbf, late changes, a couple i think

Re: RND 9 - Carlton v Melbourne Sunday 27th May 3.15PM @ MCG

The point I was trying to make is that I would rather Bower taking on an opposition small forward, and would back him in to do a better job than Joseph on say a Hayden Ballantyne or Stephen Milne. Not only that, but Bower can also play tall, or even move to a wing. Joseph has done nothing to suggest he can play as an free-wheeling mid, or forward. Baffling Decision.

Agree with Bower being dropped - very unlucky.
I just wonder though - are the MC grooming AJ to play Carrazzo's role leading into our tough month of footy? With no Davey, I just wonder if AJ will play on Moloney.

AJ is clearly been given a chance to string some games together to show the cfc what he can provide for the team.
can't say i'm a fan i kno a few country footy player with better skills but if he can play a role then best of luck to him

Surely not.

Our talls are 3 ruckman playing key forward positions and Henderson and Jamison. If Henderson is a late withdrawal as has been touted, it gets worse with Watson having to hold down a key position the whole game. If Jamison goes down, holy shit.

Surely you have to have a third tallish defender in the side.

Dead right. And as several others have pointed out Bower has been far from our worst, has taken game on...still haunted by the memory of Ellard in a marking comp with Kosi in the goal square vs Saints...

The point I was trying to make is that I would rather Bower taking on an opposition small forward, and would back him in to do a better job than Joseph on say a Hayden Ballantyne or Stephen Milne. Not only that, but Bower can also play tall, or even move to a wing. Joseph has done nothing to suggest he can play as an free-wheeling mid, or forward. He provides 0 run.

If he isn't shutting down his opponent, he provides nothing. At current time, he isn't shutting down his opponent. Played a forgettable game in the VFL last week. I just cant understand the selection ahead of Bower, who not only defended well last week, but was one of the few to try and create something.

This X 2

Dead right. And as several others have pointed out Bower has been far from our worst, has taken game on...still haunted by the memory of Ellard in a marking comp with Kosi in the goal square vs Saints...
I agree but it was hardly Ellard's fault.If anything he should be praised for working his ass off to get back and even though out matched still tried to spoil and not give it away.

Even if Armfield is best on ground you wont recognize that he is a good player and deserves his spot in the team, you just need to deal with the fact he is in the team and rightfully deserves to be. Yes he does need to add another dimension to his game and become more attacking and I know he has the ability to do this but when the coach asks you to do one specific thing (such as tag and nullify the opponent) he has to do it and the coach is happy that he does the job and in the end of the day it is a job and he does what hes told to do and he does it well.
true words
what is army's contract status and sugar's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything less than a ten goal win I am considering a loss.

With the form we're currently in and the injuries we have (Hendo will not play) i would be happy with the 4 pts regardless of margin, wouldn't be surprised to see Melbourne come and show a bit this game.....media have been right into them, and usually thats a bad sign for us.

Surely not.

Our talls are 3 ruckman playing key forward positions and Henderson and Jamison. If Henderson is a late withdrawal as has been touted, it gets worse with Watson having to hold down a key position the whole game. If Jamison goes down, holy shit.

Surely you have to have a third tallish defender in the side.

Total agree.

If the 5 talls play 90% game time it means you only have 4 talls on the ground for 50% of the game. Last year we had 3 games where a tall was subbed of due to injury. We lost 2 and nearly lost the First Richmond game. Given around 50% on games the sub is activated due to injury and a quarter of your players are tall you have a about one in eight chance of being severely undermanned with talls.

The problem is magnified by Laidler not playing.

If you dominate the clearances and move the ball quickly you can get away with playing a shorter forward line but if you move the ball slowly you end up bombing it to contests where Betts will be manned up on a much taller opponent.

With the form we're currently in and the injuries we have (Hendo will not play) i would be happy with the 4 pts regardless of margin, wouldn't be surprised to see Melbourne come and show a bit this game.....media have been right into them, and usually thats a bad sign for us.

I am with you, will take 4 points regardless of margin. With our present form and injury list i have no confidence at all and wouldnt be surprised if we are beaten. I also wish the media hadnt been on Melbourne's backs all week.
Things are certainly not going our way this year, luck is something you need to win a premiership. As we now in the middle of our "easy" part of the fixture and are 0 from 2 so far then what is going to happen when we come up against Geelong, WCE, Hawthorn etc in the harder part?

I am with you, will take 4 points regardless of margin. With our present form and injury list i have no confidence at all and wouldnt be surprised if we are beaten. I also wish the media hadnt been on Melbourne's backs all week.
Things are certainly not going our way this year, luck is something you need to win a premiership. As we now in the middle of our "easy" part of the fixture and are 0 from 2 so far then what is going to happen when we come up against Geelong, WCE, Hawthorn etc in the harder part?

Hendo defintely won't play > Bower IN

Kreuzer likely to miss > Watson IN

The reality is that this game, THE TWO THINGS WE ARE LOOKING FOR, is coaching tactics and the next level of players standing up.

If Ratten does not come out with some interesting, challenging and well considered ALTERNATIVES to the monotony of the past then he will be under immense pressure.

If the players do not lift, and we do not see some resolve and desire to take the next step from the players getting an opportunity to play new positions or in the firsts then questions will be placed upon them as well.

If the blues lose this week - IF THEY LOSE - season is finished no matter what, and will have to reconsider our entire game plan and recruitment direction.

With Henderson, Kruzer out, along with everyone else, and the plethora of kids and B grade players coming in - along with underdone guys like Warnock, we are very, very precarious - but none of that will matter in the shit storm that follows if we lose.

I hope the players are aware of what is in front of them - careers are on the line.

the one thing i am looking for most is a desire and hunger to get the footy back from the opposition, this area has been a joke to say the least, we were one of the best in the league last year at it, but now :confused::confused:
we were relentless with our attack on the ball carrier, now the opposition just stroll out of our forward line and do as they please through our midfield it makes me sick in the guts. :(
tomorrow will not be an easy game i can assure you all of that, will we win? yeah probably, but if people are thinking we just have to turn up, then brace yourselves for a shock.

blues by 26pts

Have chucked $10 on Melbourne into Port next week. Still think we'll win both games but at least ill have something to be happy about if Carlton's world turns to crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back