News Robbie Gray in recruiting and list management role

Remove this Banner Ad

I had some flight credits to use after we didn't make the grand final last year, so booked some travel for this weekend because it was the only one that suited my work schedule and it was use-it-or-lose-it on about $800 worth of flights.

Figured I'd be missing Hinkley's last game.

Very sad to instead be missing Gray's.

Absolute champion player.

Never tried it before but wonder if the gates are open during the last quarter. 🤔

Thanks Champ. Sixteen seasons and 271 games with 3 John Cahill Medals, 4 times All Australian, 5 Showdown Medals, an AFL Coaches Award, twice PAFC Leading goal kicker. That is some record. If there is one moment that sticks in my mind it was at the Gabba on Sunday 19th July 2020 when Robbie kicked a goal from the boundary after the final siren to defeat Carton.

'I can't wait to play in front of [Port fans] one last time, they've given me and my family so much and been such supporters of me personally.' Robbie Gray 2022
So don’t stuff it up for him supporters. Leave your signs at home . Don’t detract from Robbie.

Robbie wasn't just a forward though. He would have made the best 22 playing as a midfielder for most of his career. You could just as easily post the stats

View attachment 1479578

But even that doesn't do justice to Gray's creativity and impact as a midfielder.

I can't split them. Two champions playing different roles in different eras under different gameplans.
One is a premiership captain in a year when the captain done is knee with massive pressure internally and externally to succeed after the 2 previous attempts and then took another team to a grand final which in hindsight was pretty good considering that team was pretty average

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadness to see the last of Robbie.

His 2014 in the midfield was as good as any one season you will see, clear favourite for Brownlow and dominated all media awards. The way he came back from his knee and just did things that you didn’t think were possible.

If Robbie played in a Victorian Club he would have been talked about as one of the best of the last decade.

So sad, knew it had to happen eventually but that doesn’t make it any easier.
The only player my ‘not interested in footy at all’ kids know, courtesy of the shear amount of times I have forced them to “just quickly watch what Robbie did.”

Remove this Banner Ad

News Robbie Gray in recruiting and list management role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back