News Robbie Gray in recruiting and list management role

Remove this Banner Ad

I had some flight credits to use after we didn't make the grand final last year, so booked some travel for this weekend because it was the only one that suited my work schedule and it was use-it-or-lose-it on about $800 worth of flights.

Figured I'd be missing Hinkley's last game.

Very sad to instead be missing Gray's.

Absolute champion player.

One of my favourite Robbie moments was on the boundary line in front of bay 134 when in the middle of a pack bounced the ball to himself 3 times basketball style and then took off leaving everyone mesmerised, myself included 😀

THANKS ROBBIE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who bloody cares who's better right now? This is Robbie's moment. Let's celebrate what has been an outstanding career of a true Port Adelaide great. He made the most difficult look simplistic, and his ability to step up in key moments was never in doubt. The only thing missing on his CV is a premiership.

Certainly going to be a tough hole to fill in future years.

Thanks Champ. Sixteen seasons and 271 games with 3 John Cahill Medals, 4 times All Australian, 5 Showdown Medals, an AFL Coaches Award, twice PAFC Leading goal kicker. That is some record. If there is one moment that sticks in my mind it was at the Gabba on Sunday 19th July 2020 when Robbie kicked a goal from the boundary after the final siren to defeat Carton.

'I can't wait to play in front of [Port fans] one last time, they've given me and my family so much and been such supporters of me personally.' Robbie Gray 2022

Last edited:
For whatever it's worth, numbers wise ...

Games - Tredrea 255 (5th most at Port), Gray 270 (4th most at Port)
Goals - Tredrea 549 (1st most at Port), Gray 365 (2nd most at Port)
All Australian - Tredrea 4, Gray 4
B&F - Tredrea 4, Gray 3
AFLCA Champion Player - Tredrea 1 (2004), Gray 1 (2014)
Showdown medals - Tredrea 1, Gray 5
Leading goalkicker - Tredrea 8, Gray 2
Premierships - Tredrea 1, Gray 0

They measure up pretty evenly on most counts. You'd give Gray the nod on playing well in big games and the intangible clutch match winner aspect that doesn't appear in these numbers. Tredrea though did play a more demanding position and does have the small title of premiership captain next to his name.

I'm still going Tredrea in this debate but it's an absolute credit to Robbie that we're even having the debate given he started as an unknown small forward picked at 55 in the draft.
Robbie wasn't just a forward though. He would have made the best 22 playing as a midfielder for most of his career. You could just as easily post the stats

1660634622941.png

But even that doesn't do justice to Gray's creativity and impact as a midfielder.

I can't split them. Two champions playing different roles in different eras under different gameplans.

In Ao Teoroa on day two of 17, so gunna be a bit hard to get back for this game 😥

So blessed to have seen so many mesmerising moments from this genius of the inflated leather conveyancer.

Second just marginally to Wazza as our best of the AFL era.

Considering he overcame an ACL, prostate cancer and numerous other lesser injuries, it makes even more remarkable reading!

He can chill with his family now. He deserves the break.

Hopefully he stays involved with us down the track, be it in talent spotting or whatever.

The door at Port Adelaide is always open to welcome back any player who has played a single game or more for the club.

But Robbie will always enter those doors on a red carpet adorned with rose petals, for someone just that little bit more "special" 👍🏅

You will be missed Amigo. By all of us who have watched and lauded your brilliance over the journey!

Thanks for so many cherished memories, mate. Enjoy no more training in 40 degree summer heat 😃

Remove this Banner Ad

News Robbie Gray in recruiting and list management role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back