Rocca's IN.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dislike the selections.

Rocca is past it, we don't need another forward who can't kick straight and who will get run off on.

Can't believe Wood is out, has been in ripper form and the only times we actually looked like winning a clearance against the Dogs was when Wood was in the middle, he performed better than Fraser, Fraser was absolutely terrible. Going in with one ruck, one who struggled badly last game is a poor decision in my book.

Happy with Pendles and Sidey, bring some much needed class into the side.

Who's do we think is going to pinch hit in the ruck for the five minutes josh will actually need to have a rest

Thats is if Leigh Brown plays on Kosi, which i dont think will happen with the current side,

Presti to Kosi
Harry to Roo

Leigh Brown will need to give josh a chop out

By the way everyone said Dawson was going to have nightmares in round 7, and we know that happened there

rocca u beauty, i seen him last week and he looked upset watching the boys he wants to be out there, i had a dream last night or 2 nights ago he was dominating, he hasnt played at the g this year, i cant wait to see him again, hes done a lot for us :thumbsu:

Ok, let's analyse Rocca's kicking over the past 3 weeks (his 3 full VFL games).

Last week vs Geelong;

Very bad conditions, kicked 2.4 in wet, windy, blustery conditions on a very open ground.
10k, 4h, 4m, 2g, 5t

2 weeks ago vs Frankston;

I was at this game, was a windy day, and the 2nd and 3rd quarters were terrible by all. Rocca had a huge last quarter, showing fitness and stamina to run out a game aren't his problem.
15k, 5h, 8m, 2g, 2t. I believe 2.5, not 100% sure.

3 weeks ago vs Williamstown.

(8k, 1h, 3m, 2g, 3t): Effort was really good. Played in the ruck briefly which was good for his fitness.

Was a terrible day, against a team who is the best in the VFL, where for 2 quarters he couldnt play forward.

That isnt bad form for a VFL player, if Dawes had 3 weeks in a row like that, he would be guaranteed a game, why not Rocca.

If Rhyce Shaw had better disposal he would've been one of our best players.
If Richard Cole had work ethic he'd have been a good player.
If Guy Richards could play football, he would've been a good player for us.

That's not different to saying 'if' a player kicked straight, he would've kicked so many goals. Fact is he didn't kick straight, and he shouldn't be in the side till he IS kicking straight. More inaccurate kicking is the last thing we need in the side.

A vitally important final is NOT the game to be testing whether he is fit or not. This should've been done in the season, not now!

Absolutely agree, this is a mind boggling decision.

Oh well, nothing to be done now but wait and see. I'd like nothing better than to see pebs kick a bag of goals, but if I think with my head and not my heart I can't see anything but heartbreak coming from this.

McCarthy was great in his first match for the season. Representing the Peninsula!:) I really love his hardness at the footy, he is going to be a star one day. But I can see why he might be dropped, that's a very hard side to force your way in to.

4 biggest thing out of Peninsula grammar. McCarthy, David Hille, Nathan Jones, sunnyTEE.

Word.

Rocca getting 20 odd touches is dominating though

Rocca getting more then 10 is dominant, if he kicked straightish he would have had 10/15 goals in 3 weeks. If he isnt fit and ready now he never will be

I know you dont like the selection, but his VFL form isnt as bad as he only averages 2 goals suggests. Add to the fact he has done ruck work and geelong/williamstown are shitholes when its wet which it was when he played and it makes sense
I can understand why MM selected Rocca this week, and it isn't to give him a send off game, MM wouldn't be that stupid, at least I hope not.

I actually believe that Rocca will be the spark that gets us over the line this week. The Midfielders will have confidence in Rocca, that if the need arises, because Stkilda are in control, and we need to bomb it in the forward line, there will be someone there to make a genuine contest.

And even if he gets used as a decoy, he will take Dawson/Hudgton out of the game.

If this move pays off, it might be the reason we have a weeks rest.

ROCCCCCCAAAAAAAA.

GO THE PIES

All of you that want Rocca in the side in the 22 are idiots who don't want Collingwood to win.

If we get beat and Rocca doesn't get more than 14 touches, kicks 2 or more goals will you all say you were wrong?
The guy has past his best (which was just ok) and for some reason we drop a in form ruckman to bring in one of the worst players at our club.

Ok, let's analyse Rocca's kicking over the past 3 weeks (his 3 full VFL games).

Last week vs Geelong;

Very bad conditions, kicked 2.4 in wet, windy, blustery conditions on a very open ground.
10k, 4h, 4m, 2g, 5t

2 weeks ago vs Frankston;

I was at this game, was a windy day, and the 2nd and 3rd quarters were terrible by all. Rocca had a huge last quarter, showing fitness and stamina to run out a game aren't his problem.
15k, 5h, 8m, 2g, 2t. I believe 2.5, not 100% sure.

3 weeks ago vs Williamstown.

(8k, 1h, 3m, 2g, 3t): Effort was really good. Played in the ruck briefly which was good for his fitness.

Was a terrible day, against a team who is the best in the VFL, where for 2 quarters he couldnt play forward.

That isnt bad form for a VFL player, if Dawes had 3 weeks in a row like that, he would be guaranteed a game, why not Rocca.
It's reasonable form. It's form that could get him into the side if we needed to take a risk and change things up, and also if he was a player who could provide pressure in the forward 50 (which he is not even close to being).

But we don't need to risk it. We've been going fine! What is the point in risking this?

Rocca of 2003 would be our best forward by lightyears. But he is not the same player, not even close.

Forget this is Anthony Rocca, and call him John Smith. Would people want him selected if so? I doubt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel a bit upset fro Cameron Wood. His form has been good.

Rocca getting 20 odd touches is dominating though

Rocca getting more then 10 is dominant, if he kicked straightish he would have had 10/15 goals in 3 weeks. If he isnt fit and ready now he never will be

I know you dont like the selection, but his VFL form isnt as bad as he only averages 2 goals suggests. Add to the fact he has done ruck work and geelong/williamstown are shitholes when its wet which it was when he played and it makes sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddaz123 View Post
It's gotta be said, this selection has to be 95% sentimentality.

Rocca is not the player he once was, and he hasn't even dominated VFL level. How can we expect him to perform at AFL level?

Bringing in a guy who has barely played a senior game all year for finals, let alone an unfit one, is ridiculous.

I don't have a good feeling about this, at all.

You have to remember, Rocca doesn't have to kick 5 or 6 goals anymore for Collingwood to win, we have a much more balance side than what we had in the past, we are not that reliant on Rocca no more. But if Stkilda make the mistake of double teaming him, then our other forwards are in for a treat.

If Rocca holds his man, and still kicks his two goals its a win.

Very, very very happy with this. Forget defensive forward presure, forget rebound off half back and forget how long it's been since Rocca has played.

Rocca has been playing VFL in shocking conditions and with VFL standard players. He is big and not mobile anymore.
He requires good quality delivery from his team mates.
In the AFL he will get this.

For a player like Rocca, 2 goals in the VFL is equivalent to 3-5 goals in AFL. If Rocca gets 2 goals from contested marks and 1 or 2 others from the lead or general play, I consider this a win.

We are playing the best in the competition, so we must take risks and go with our best team based on potential.
With Rocca playing well he is in our best team.

Seriously how are the Saints going to combat a forward line with Rocca, Cloke and Anthony?

Very, very very happy with this. Forget defensive forward presure, forget rebound off half back and forget how long it's been since Rocca has played.
Yeh that'd be nice.

It'd be nice if we played Geelong that we could forget about their midfield.

It'd be heaps awesome if we could forget about Riewoldt on Sunday as well.

Guess what....we can't just forget about it.

For For a player like Rocca, 2 goals in the VFL is equivalent to 3-5 goals in AFL. If Rocca gets 2 goals from contested marks and 1 or 2 others from the lead or general play, I consider this a win.
2 goals in the VFL is 3-5 goals in the AFL.....can you explain that one further thanks?

Seriously how are the Saints going to combat a forward line with Rocca, Cloke and Anthony?
The same way they've handled pretty much every single backline in the AFL maybe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rocca's IN.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back