Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...o-dockers-rookies-have-the-vital-ingredients/
Ballard, a 188cm, 90kg midfielder who played for Carlton's VFL affiliate the Northern Blues this year, came close to being on Fremantle's list in 2013 before the Dockers ran out of draft picks last year as he was coming to the top of their wish list.
He worked two jobs to save some money in preparation for a university course and continued to work hard at his football.
He was Fremantle's last pick in last week's rookie draft.
The Dockers are quietly confident they have a player made of the right stuff to ride the highs, lows and bumps of the AFL.
"We do a lot of testing, a lot of screening when they come in now and he has got very strong character and he will really flourish in this environment," Dockers development coach Simon Lloyd said yesterday.

when did this happen !!

That's just what I would have been thinking.

Fremantle's second rookie pick Tom Vandeleur, 18, found the introductions a bizarre experience.
"It is a bit weird when Matthew Pavlich comes up to you and says 'hello, my name is Matthew'," he said.
"Yeah, I know who you are. It is overwhelming. Five minutes later you are out running around a track chasing these people."

Michael Wood is another interesting rookie pick as a lightly built medium forward who is a strong overhead mark and a long kick for goal. Made senior debut this year with Subiaco in the WAFL, kicking four goals in round 12. He also showed an ability to push into the midfield. Maybe he could be a Barlow type so hope you like my post.

There is something a bit weird about how Fremantle works the Rookie Draft. The club has managed to crank its depth right up using it, and not just at the bottom end either, but at the pointy end of our list as well with Sandilands and Barlow. Logic says this is wrong, but the facts are there. This year I think they seem to have done as well as can be expected; Ballard; the classic ready to go depth rookie. Hard body. Hungry for his chance. Vandeleur; the classic developing tall rookie. Has the size. Has some good skills. Needs development. Wood; the classic wildcard selection. Plenty of upside. Low risk, high reward rookie. Good selections, and then taken into an excellent development program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is something a bit weird about how Fremantle works the Rookie Draft. The club has managed to crank its depth right up using it, and not just at the bottom end either, but at the pointy end of our list as well with Sandilands and Barlow. Logic says this is wrong, but the facts are there. This year I think they seem to have done as well as can be expected; Ballard; the classic ready to go depth rookie. Hard body. Hungry for his chance. Vandeleur; the classic developing tall rookie. Has the size. Has some good skills. Needs development. Wood; the classic wildcard selection. Plenty of upside. Low risk, high reward rookie. Good selections, and then taken into an excellent development program.
Yeah, after not even knowing who the hell this 'Wood' guy was when he was drafted, from the little I've seen he seems to be a really good pick up. Judging from a lot of comments I've read on here, it seems people are definitely excited about this guy. A lot of people are likening him to Fyfe, and well he may be Fyfe Mk II. His position, height, build and playing style resemble a young Nat, but that's a pretty lofty standard to reach. It may not be fair to him to compare him to the great man. Even if he's half the player Nate is, we'll have nabbed a bargain.

I think we could almost draft the drovers dog and turn him into a reasonable AFL player with the development team at Fremantle .
So long as the dog buys in to the RTB Game Plan and the drover is prepared to miss him

I think we could almost draft the drovers dog and turn him into a reasonable AFL player with the development team at Fremantle .
So long as the dog buys in to the RTB Game Plan and the drover is prepared to miss him

I understand the sentiment, and appreciate that your comment is a little tongue in cheek, but our selections are actually pretty astute. The whole list management is going great guns. Identifying that we could afford to lose a player such as Broughton, and picking up a players such as Spurr are classic examples. It is pretty damn good decision making.

I understand the sentiment, and appreciate that your comment is a little tongue in cheek, but our selections are actually pretty astute. The whole list management is going great guns. Identifying that we could afford to lose a player such as Broughton, and picking up a players such as Spurr are classic examples. It is pretty damn good decision making.
Spurr was on the list for a year before Broughton departed, but I get your point and I agree. Man, what depth, I was devastated when we traded Broughton, but we seem to have done ok out of that trade. I mean, he'd have a tough time getting a regular gig with us now anyway so in hindsight it was a win win, despite me thinking at the time that we'd lost the plot. The current squad has now got to be one of if not the deepest list in the league. I know other teams will improve, but realistically, if we were ever going to win a flag, you'd have to think we're in prime position to do so.

When the Eagles won their first flag in 92 they had superstars all over the ground .
We have a more balanced team and more depth very similar to the Brisbane Bears when they won 3 in a row and they where the combination of 2 teams ,Fitzroy and Brisbane .
This group at Fremantle have the experience as well as the youth to follow in a similar vein .
Our midfield would now be the envy of almost every AFL Club and we have recruited this season to not only strengthen it more but forwards to create scoring power as well .
Sydney might have the twin towers but our midfield and back 6 can close down any team in the comp as well now we can score heavily against the best defences IMHO.

With more teams jumping on the mature age recruit bandwagon, it seems like we've started to try an identify them earlier than everyone else by targeting players that are a year older than current draftees. In the last 3 drafts we've taken Sutcliffe, Duffy, Taberner and now Wood as 19 year olds

With more teams jumping on the mature age recruit bandwagon, it seems like we've started to try an identify them earlier than everyone else by targeting players that are a year older than current draftees. In the last 3 drafts we've taken Sutcliffe, Duffy, Taberner and now Wood as 19 year olds

not sutty, I argue my dad with my Dad on this one all the time, he was just a couple of days too young to enter the previous years draft from what I can recall, it is not that he was passed over. Below says 17, but i think that was from the year b4 when he was to young, when he got drafted, I think he was 18, turned 19 the next year, but he is nearly a year more developed than Lachie, although taken the same year.

Re: FFC Welcomes Pick 71

Pick 71 - Cam Sutcliffe - 17yrs, 187cm -

Cam has been playing for Woodville-West Torrens in the SA..............................
It'd be a bit weird Pav coming up to you and introducing himself as Matthew.

'No you're not... you're Pav.'

Yeah, i have experienced this.
"Hi I'm Andrew",
"Hi, Matthew" *shake hands*
"NO ****ING SHIT!"

lol

not sutty, I argue my dad with my Dad on this one all the time, he was just a couple of days too young to enter the previous years draft from what I can recall, it is not that he was passed over. Below says 17, but i think that was from the year b4 when he was to young, when he got drafted, I think he was 18, turned 19 the next year, but he is nearly a year more developed than Lachie, although taken the same year.

He's 6 months older than Mellington, so he was definitely old enough for the 2010 draft.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/dockers/12060143/sutcliffe-nearly-at-freo-last-year/
From 2011
Woodville-West Torrens talent manager Shane Grimm says Fremantle almost rookie-listed their final pick in Thursday's national draft, Cameron Sutcliffe, last year.
Grimm said Sutcliffe's fitness was the key to his game and he was unlucky to miss selection last year.
"I was sure he'd go to GWS as a rookie and Fremantle were also seriously looking at him," he said.
"He missed out on selection in the South Australian under-18 team last year but he kept working.
Sounds like a similar story to Ballard who I forgot to include in my earlier post

This just posted on Twitter re Mellington:

Paul Amy@PaulAmy375
Fine signing for Essendon's VFL team: Dons have locked in ex-Fremantle Docker Josh Mellington. Good replacement for Matthew Bate.

Interesting that teams are becoming more and more cunning in the ways that they deal with us. Although the Dons have never really been that transparent in the past, I think this and the Roberton walk out indicate that teams are either finding it harder to legitimately prise players away from us, or they are just plain fed up with dealing with Bond and Co, or possibly both.

Interesting that teams are becoming more and more cunning in the ways that they deal with us. Although the Dons have never really been that transparent in the past, I think this and the Roberton walk out indicate that teams are either finding it harder to legitimately prise players away from us, or they are just plain fed up with dealing with Bond and Co, or possibly both.

He's only signed for their VFL team.

Though he may end up playing AFL after all if ASADA strike.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back