Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything has a price and if the price is right it’s crazy to knock it back.
Saying this he is definitely one of our better players and is contracted.
Times like this you need Dodoro or someone with some balls.

Thankfully we have coverage with Ryan Burton 🥴

I love the not tradable v tradable debate. As if it's some kind of light switch decision eg Yes/No. It entirely depends on what the market says Houstons value is and whether clubs can offer something of that value in return. Its a spectrum.

Contracted recent All Australian, high in BnFs, consistent, injury free, leader, highly marketable and probably 5 or so seasons of similar output left in him.

His value is therefore just about as high as it gets outside of the absolute Superstars eg Buddy, Ablett.

I like Houston a lot. Good hands, just about the best kick going around - but he is slow and if you watch carefully, is prone to one or two very soft efforts a game - especially tackling.

I'd deeply consider a top 5 pick and a first 22 player under 25.

This is the reason we must get rid of Daddy doughnuts.
If this is true and Dan is happy to leave.
My concern is who's next Butters ?

These are the players Hinkley gets rid of and is stopping us winning anything.

We pump games into him, quality player and trade him out. Should be getting rid of garbage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Port could somehow get Kozzie and Will Day out of it wth pick swaps going around in a 3 way trade I'd take it.
That would be so far in our favour, especially given the respective ages of Day and Houston.

I think the club would probably do Houston for either of the 2 (if deal(s) were offered).

Half back is the easiest position to fill across the league, thoughts of a Kozzie or Day are pipedreams unless we’re adding something else.

Dan stands out at half back because of his elite kicking but that’s it. Teams are fine without this if their half backs do all the other things Dan doesn’t (defending mainly).

Melbourne without Kozzie in their setup are far worse off than Port without Houston. Same with Day at Hawks.

We’d get a mid first for him or maybe two late 1st.

Half back is the easiest position to fill across the league, thoughts of a Kozzie or Day are pipedreams unless we’re adding something else.

Dan stands out at half back because of his elite kicking but that’s it. Teams are fine without this if their half backs do all the other things Dan doesn’t (defending mainly).

Melbourne without Kozzie in their setup are far worse off than Port without Houston. Same with Day at Hawks.

We’d get a mid first for him or maybe two late 1st.

Blokes that can pinpoint a 50 metre kick with penetration and speed on the ball are not easy to find, then float forward for a goal or two. Jordan Dawson what's he worth?

An admission that they haven’t built the right team and want to rebuild.

An admission we won’t win a premiership in the next 5 years.

If this happens before Hinkley leaves, we are screwed!

An admission that they haven’t built the right team and want to rebuild.

An admission we won’t win a premiership in the next 5 years.

If this happens before Hinkley leaves, we are screwed!

I mean, read the play.

We've gone from prelims in 2020/2021 to a semi in 2023 to out of finals altogether this year.

We've got multiple players on every line of the team that are either over 30 or closing in on 30.

The backline are a bunch of misfits traded in from other clubs that are at best mediocre as a collective.

Basically every player in the forward line averages a goal a game.

The list is in poor shape and needs to be regenerated and refreshed under new leadership.

With Tassie coming in we have 2 years of unimpeded drafting to get the list in shape for the longer term. This goes way beyond Hinks tenure with most clubs looking longer term. Im inclined to think that we may need to go back for a couple of years to rebuild for the future. If a really good deal could be done for Houston then you would have to look at it seriously.

The article said clubs are watching him. Not that he wants to go or that Port are offering him. There's nothing to suggest he wants to go or that Port are thinking of trading him.

I bet we are looking at players who are locked into their clubs too.

This is like the bazillion beat up stories in the EPL off-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back