Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get the bootlicking reference. It's not like Houston is a slave and getting paid a pittance.

Anyway, you honour your contracts and just because it is a business, it doesn't mean you should have the moral bankruptcy of breaking contracts for a bit more money. So instead of getting 5 million dollars, he's only going to get 4 million dollars. Big deal.

It also sets a bad precedent. For example, Rozee might want out of his long contract because a new AFL media deal makes his big contract look average and demands a new contract.

And the reason you don't 'blame them' is because you are not a man of your word.
Tell that to Jake Pasini who we delisted with a year left to run on his contract.

Clubs will look out for their best interests over 'their word' when it suits them, why shouldn't players do the same?

Tell that to Jake Pasini who we delisted with a year left to run on his contract.

Clubs will look out for their best interests over 'their word' when it suits them, why shouldn't players do the same?
Pasini had his contract paid out. We fulfilled our side of the contract.

Unusual to find myself agreeing with Peninsula Boy, but a contract is a contract.

In the AFL there is far, far more downside risk with player contracts than upside for clubs. Look at all the players who sign long term contracts and then fall off a cliff. Clayton Oliver being exhibit A.

For every player who improved above their contract value there are 3 who drop off in form, get injured etc.

Houston went for a long term deal for long term security, at the cost of taking a shorter deal and proving his value. That was his decision and he lives with the consequences.

There's a reason I never get excited about contract announcements. In theory it's nice but in reality it's more about the player than the club. Who knows if that changes down the track but right now players hold all the power in the player movement space.

There's a reason I never get excited about contract announcements. In theory it's nice but in reality it's more about the player than the club. Who knows if that changes down the track but right now players hold all the power in the player movement space.
When I say he lives with the consequences I really mean we shouldn't feel sorry for him.

There are no consequences. He will almost certainly get out of his current deal and get paid because there is very little Port can do to stop him that will result in a good outcome for the club.

Pasini would have been paid his final year though assuming it was guaranteed (which to my understanding all AFL contracts are fully guaranteed).

If she's from metro Melbourne like me, 0% chance. Adelaide has a 'small country town' vibe to a lot of people here.
And in terms of your professional career (as a young professional) you're better off in Melbourne than Adelaide
Maybe 20-30 years ago, in certain professions, but not now
Most of my clients are Melbourne developers who are pouring their money into South Australia because the Melbourne property market has performed so poorly by comparison
At least Dan might be able to get some cheap Melbourne property though
Old mate bought in Melbourne in 2017 for 850k. Lives in Bali with family & said his property is worth maybe 850k now & rents for 550pw. I pissed myself laughing. I bought into Adelaide for 270k & my place was just valued at 1.2m, went up 54% last year, & would rent for 600pw
You need lots of tattoos, piercings & hipster dufus clothes to fit into the Melbourne scene

If Houston is doing this to get a better contract at the club, IHMO he goes down a peg or two.

That would be ridiculous.
Why, he has been an elite player who is far more consistent than a lot of ports players. We can’t demand huge for him in a trade if we are not prepared to pay him what he is actually worth imo.

I don't get the bootlicking reference. It's not like Houston is a slave and getting paid a pittance.

Anyway, you honour your contracts and just because it is a business, it doesn't mean you should have the moral bankruptcy of breaking contracts for a bit more money. So instead of getting 5 million dollars, he's only going to get 4 million dollars. Big deal.

It also sets a bad precedent. For example, Rozee might want out of his long contract because a new AFL media deal makes his big contract look average and demands a new contract.

And the reason you don't 'blame them' is because you are not a man of your word.
Sounds like the club have $800k to pay Perryman so if Houston is being paid substantially less than Butters and Rozee, then we should use this money to keep Houston rather than bringing in Perryman and losing Houston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Houston into two firsts rounders one being pick 6-8 and the other a future first which has a high chance of being a top ten pick and Perryman as a free agent is brilliant for the long term future of the club. This is the type of list management we have rarely been able to take advantage of and I for one am super excited to get more high end youth into the club.

I think a fair whack of this is speculation but anyway.

There is nothing wrong with looking out for your best interests whether you are the club or the player but you can cross a line.

I find it a bit disingenuous to compare Houston with Pasini.

Houston would be on very, very good coin and was very happy when he signed his deal a couple of years ago and the idea that he maybe made an AA and he could get more but has to break the contract is a bit off to me, especially from a leader of the club.

As I said there is nothing wrong with looking after yourself but if the money becomes more important than the football, it just doesn't resonate with me and breaking a contract, even a handshake deal, whether it is at the pub or at the golf course, is bad karma.

I think it was Polec that went to the Kangaroos for more money and he was a Port supporter growing up and he faded into obscurity. Not the same thing but you know what I mean.

Interestingly, I had a quick look up at the delistings in Pasini's year and Kenny Average thanked Lycett for his career but Fantasia, Hayes and Pasini were only thanked by the List Manager, Jason Cripps. You have to laugh.

We can ask for two first rounders. But that’s essentially saying that we’re not trading him. Which is a good result.

Melbourne aren’t giving 2 firsts (unless they’re in the teens) though. That would be insane by them.

I can see it landing with pick 7 on its own. In which case both fans would be a little bit grumpy, but could probably live with.

Getting the deal done for what is currently pick 7 would literally be the worst possible outcome for us.

We are contending, not rebuilding. Our list needs established AA players not high draft pick rookies.

Houston is contracted for years so it’s pretty simple really. If we are going to give up a established AA quality player who is contracted then it needs to be for something a lot more significant than pick 7.

Getting the deal done for what is currently pick 7 would literally be the worst possible outcome for us.

We are contending, not rebuilding. Our list needs established AA players not high draft pick rookies.

Houston is contracted for years so it’s pretty simple really. If we are going to give up an established AA quality player who is contracted then it needs to be for something a lot more significant than pick 7.
I absolutely do not want us trading Houston for pick 7 as well. But I think Melbourne would be insane to part with a Future first as well.

I feel this either goes in the “too hard” basket and he stays. Or we bend over. Unfortunately, after last year, I can see us bending over.

Long term contracts in the AFL are cooked. Clubs can ask players to look elsewhere and players can ask for a trade. It still tilts in the players favor. In Houstons case he gets to sign a long term contract without any trade off for that's security. The club would have to either pay him out or find another club to take him up if we wanted to end it.

We are contending, not rebuilding.

West Coast and Richmond thought they were contending when they weren't and they're now paying the price for that.

The absolute core of list management is knowing where you're at. I'd suggest we actually peaked circa 2020-2021 and now have a lot of key players who are at or near the end. I don't see our current list as premiership standard.

I think we'd be better off hitting the draft over the next few years and refreshing our list so that we can contend properly when Horne-Francis, Butters and Georgiades are in the 25-30 bracket and at the absolute peak of their powers. Trading Houston sets us up nicely if we can use the pick(s) well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back