Rookie wish list??

Remove this Banner Ad

A quote from a West Coast poster mid year....

Kiefer Yu is a very good kid, has good pace and kicking skills like a hurn.

Has two clubs very interested in him at this stage Freo and Richmond.

In regards to hislop i really hope we dont rookie him,I have stated before & will do again. He has been in the system 5+ years & at 2 different clubs has not shown anywhere near enough to justify his place on any afl list.

I would also like to express my dissapointment in the club for not having any of the kids that were in the nab draft that were overlooked & preffering to collect a bunch of coburg players.

Either we have so much confidence in our recruiters that we dont need to see anymore from the kids & we have already decided on our selections and we will recruit them regardless of where they are training atm or We are serious about putting coburg players on the rookie list :thumbsdown:

Maybe it's because Sheeds and co have their eyes on other Clubs that have potential rookies training with them and we just want to pull a few surprises.
Don't GWS have 7 or so picks before we enter the rookie draft.
I hope that is the case because I agree, if we're not looking at players that just missed the draft then that's poor.
Guess we'll know in a week.

OUR EXPERT Paul Daffey takes a look at 25 of the leading prospects in Tuesday's NAB AFL Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts.
Corey Buchan, Dandenong Stingrays (Vic), 188cm, 79kg, 24/05/92
Medium forward whose uncanny judgement in the air enables him to play way above his height. Good also when the ball hits the ground. Kicked seven on debut for the Stingrays and went on to be the leading goalkicker in the TAC Cup in 2010 with 51.
George Burbury, Hobart (Tas), 180cm, 69kg, 18/06/92
Mystery forward from the same club as one of the bolters of the national draft, Melbourne's Jeremy Howe. Very raw. Spent the early part of this year concentrating on rowing at his school, Hutchins. Played the final six games in Hobart's senior team. Been training at St Kilda.
Jonathan Giles, Sturt (SA), 200cm, 100kg, 08/01/88
Ruckman who spent four years on Port Adelaide's list before returning to the SANFL in 2010. Showed the benefits of maturity by winning Sturt's best and fairest. Widely considered the best ruckman outside the AFL, and Essendon, where he has been training, might take him in the pre-season draft. If not, he'll be snapped up by Greater Western Sydney in its first eight rookie picks.
Anton Hamp, Claremont (WA), 193cm, 83kg, 21/07/92
Lead-up forward who surprised many by not being taken in the national draft. Broke his ribs early in the under-18 championships. Inconsistency was the problem on his return, but he's got plenty of upside and should go early here.
Brad Harvey, Eastern Ranges (Vic), 184cm, 83kg, 16/04/92
Half-back with elite athleticism: finished in the top three in the spring and power events at the national combine. Surprised some by missing out in the national draft, largely because he showed only reasonable form in the TAC Cup, but should be taken here.
Tim Houlihan, West Coast, 189cm, 79kg, 10/02/89
Wingman with elite endurance who was unlucky to be delisted after a season derailed by injury. Expected to be rookied by the Eagles.
Tyson Hunt, De La Salle Old Collegians (Vic), 188cm, 78kg, 07/01/91
Rangy, creative half-back with a penetrating left foot. Excelled in the Victorian amateur competition in 2010 and has the coolness and wherewithal to step up to higher levels.
Kelvin Lawrence, Peel Thunder (WA), 177cm, 72kg, 14/10/92
Small forward with speed who improved as the 2010 season progressed. Had a superb WAFL under-18 finals series and was largely responsible for Peel's advance to the grand final.
James Lawton, Coburg Tigers (Vic), 197cm, 87kg, 17/01/91
Tall, lanky, high-leaping forward—built along the lines of St Kilda's Sam Gilbert—who had a couple of standout games in the VFL in 2010.
Sam Menagola, East Fremantle (WA), 189cm, 83kg, 07/03/92
Lead-up forward with poor-to-average speed but elite endurance. Keeps running all day. Dominated WAFL under-18 games in patches, and finishes well.
Tim Milera, Port Adelaide Magpies (SA), 170cm, 72kg, 09/12/92
Small forward whose creativity and awareness brings others into the game. Unlucky not to receive the medal for best on ground in the SANFL reserves grand final.
Jay Neagle, Essendon, 191cm, 98kg, 17/01/88
Key forward who might just receive a second chance after being delisted by Essendon, effectively for being fat and lazy. Hopefully the jolt has awakened him. The Bombers are a chance to rookie him.
Max Otten, Oakleigh Chargers (Vic), 193cm, 86kg, 10/11/92
Key defender who was controversially cut from the Vic Metro team early in the under-18 championships after Vic Country's Lucas Cook had kicked a few goals on him. Responded by going back to the TAC Cup and kicking a bag. Shows the same application that his brother Andy has shown at the Crows.
Cameron Pederson, Box Hill Hawks (Vic), 193cm, 90kg, 17/03/87
Aggressive full-back who would provide Gold Coast with much-needed strength and ballast if the Suns take him as expected.
Declan Reilly, Sandringham Dragons (Vic), 197cm, 84kg, 09/12/92
Strong-marking key forward who got better as the 2010 TAC Cup season progressed. Considered a national draft prospect, so likely to go early here.
Gavin Roberts, Norwood (SA), 190cm, 75kg, 13/03/91
Superb athlete with elite speed and endurance. Impressed at half-forward in the SANFL but is considered a risk because of his susceptibility to injury. Several clubs are ready to take that risk. Been training at Fremantle.
Fraser Russell, Geelong Falcons (Vic), 182cm, 75kg, 06/06/92
Speedy, left-footed wingman who played only occasionally in the TAC Cup in 2010 because of private school commitments. Been training at St Kilda, where his speed would appeal.
Tom Schneider, Oakleigh Chargers (Vic), 178cm, 77kg, 30/09/92
Midfielder who overcame his lack of size to star for Vic Metro in the 2010 under-18 championships and win the Chargers' best and fairest. His hero is Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell, who had to fight to make it in the AFL. Port Adelaide is the keenest to give him the chance.
Myles Sewell, North Ballarat (Vic), 185cm, 77kg, 10/02/88
Superbly balanced midfielder who offers great run but whose slim build (the opposite of his brother, Hawthorn's Brad) casts doubts on his ability to withstand the bigger bodies of the AFL. Won the VFL's Liston Trophy in 2009 and has been a vital member of the Roosters' premiership teams. Surely he deserves a chance.
Callum Sinclair, Port Melbourne (Vic), 201cm, 96kg, 23/09/89
Marking forward of ruckman height with eye-catching ability below his knees. Been slow to mature because of his height, but might be worth the wait.
Shane Tregear, Sandringham (Vic), 180cm, 74kg, 27/04/88
Half-back who has come to notice over the past two seasons. Good left-foot kick with reasonable levels of speed and endurance. Won the Zebras' best and fairest in 2010.
Jake Von Bertouch, Woodville-West Torrens (SA), 192cm, 80kg, 04/05/92
Lead-up forward who accumulates marks and goals in unobtrusive fashion. Plenty of development in him.
Josh Walker, Geelong Falcons (Vic), 194cm, 87kg, 12/12/92
Lead-up forward who works as hard as any teenager in the game. Runs up and back like Nick Riewoldt, but just lacked the polish to be taken in the national draft.
Blayne Wilson, Peel Thunder (WA), 188cm, 86kg, 26/01/92
Half-back who won an All Australian jumper as a bottom-ager at the 2009 under-18 championships, but whose 2010 season was disappointing, largely because of injuries. Unlucky not to be taken in the national draft and should go early here, with the Eagles and Freo especially interested.
Hayden Yarran, West Perth (WA), 186cm, 75kg, 30/04/92
Exciting prospect with the hallmarks of a natural forward. He's good in the air, deadly on the ground, and he's a goalkicker. Has played only WAFL reserves but things should click. Been training at Essendon. Hawthorn is also keen.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105913/default.aspx

In regards to hislop i really hope we dont rookie him,I have stated before & will do again. He has been in the system 5+ years & at 2 different clubs has not shown anywhere near enough to justify his place on any afl list.

I would also like to express my dissapointment in the club for not having any of the kids that were in the nab draft that were overlooked & preffering to collect a bunch of coburg players.

Either we have so much confidence in our recruiters that we dont need to see anymore from the kids & we have already decided on our selections and we will recruit them regardless of where they are training atm or We are serious about putting coburg players on the rookie list :thumbsdown:

Last year we basically had 4 live picks (+ 1 international + polak).

Ultimately, of those 4 picks 2 were training with the club 2 were not.

There could be a number of reasons as to why players being considered are not on the permission to train list.

As for Hislop, i think that people may as well get used to it now because it will most likely happen.

Add my name to the NO HISLOP bandwagon! Oh and James Lawton surely must be a contender for a spot. Has been mainly played forward but I reckon he has the tools to be a good CHB.

Rather take a kid then take hislop i mean i thought theyre trying to fix our a list? I like the look of midfielder james webster he has some skills, worth a rookie spot.

I've had a few sherbets and I reckon we get a koytery group together and get Pamela Anderson. I know she hasn't got any development in her but she will be great for membership and get us to 75k in a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keifer Yu, Ben Haren, David Kruse, Leif Cope, Brad Millar
skilful mid, agile tall, tall defender, tall ruck prospect, tall fwd backup.

Well if todays training is anything to go by I can't see us drafting any of those guys mentioned because I didn't recognize any unfamiliar faces at training this morning. Further to this I don't think I saw Tom Hislop - however maybe he just didn't train ;)

PS3 Richmond Bachar Houli - Essendon
R11 Richmond Ben Jakobi - Coburg
R28 Richmond Brad Miller - Melbourne
R45 Richmond Tom Hislop - Richmond
R60 Richmond Passed

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie wish list??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back