Roos consider Gold Coast proposal (The Age)

Remove this Banner Ad

jonty12

Club Legend
May 23, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I'm no rocket scientist but I reckon it's full steam ahead for Carrara now.

I can't see Canberra topping their northern neighbours offer (based on reports that the Canberra bid was at the high end of the budget)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Roos consider Gold Coast proposal

May 16, 2006

THE KANGAROOS' short-term future has moved one step closer to being resolved with a proposal for a three-year joint venture with the Southport Football Club, which would see the Roos play a total of nine home-and-away games at Carrara along with three pre-season cup games.

While the Southport offer has not yet involved any financial details, the proposal — confirmed last night by Kangaroos chief executive Geoff Walsh — has prompted the financially struggling club to turn to the ACT Government and request an almost immediate response.

"We've asked the ACT for a final offer quickly," confirmed Walsh. "We're now in the middle of May and we would like to resolve this soon. The Southport proposal needs more detail but we'd be happy with three games in the short term.

"We'd be crazy to jump into a bigger venture than that. We'd see how it goes over the next three years before even considering a five-game package or anything like that."

The Kangaroos found themselves in the unpleasant situation yesterday of being forced to pay Telstra Dome for its Mothers' Day defeat, because despite moving the game back to 3.10pm, it attracted a disappointing crowd of just over 16,000.

advertisement

advertisement

Meanwhile, the Brisbane Lions, whose response to the prospect of a permanently relocated second team up north has been lukewarm, have revealed they are on track to record a financial loss in 2006 after last season's $1.25 million profit.

The projected negative turnaround of more than $1 million has come as the club turns in poor performances and records a drop in attendances, television ratings and corporate function sales.

Should the Lions remain in the bottom four of the ladder, the club is on track to drop $100,000 in its budget.

"We're suffering some pretty tough conditions up here," Lions chief executive Michael Bowers said. "We are starting to learn a lot more about the marketplace here and the depth of our supporters. I guess we're learning to sort out the theatre-goers from the rest as well."

Not only have coach Leigh Matthews, star forward Jonathan Brown and Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett all expressed misgivings about the Gold Coast market in recent times, Lions chairman Tony Kelly has also continued to remind the AFL that the league and the Lions have an agreement with the Queensland Government that any team relocated to the south-east of the state would play its home games at the Gabba.

The Queensland Government, which funded the Gabba redevelopment to the tune of $40 million, has that deal in place until 2015.

While the Kangaroos continue to struggle with the choice between the Gold Coast and Canberra for their three relocated home games next season, the AFL has yet to come forward with a genuine financial carrot to lure the club north.

However, AFL broadcasting, strategy and major projects manager Ben Buckley last night insisted suggestions that the league had been disappointed by the crowd at the Carrara clash between Hawthorn and the Lions were false.

"Whether the crowd had been 10,000 or 12,000 it's not going to dampen our enthusiasm," said Buckley. "The ground at present has only 6000 seats and we could have sold them out twice over. That's something we are going to have to think about in the short term and the long term — adding more seating to the ground."

On the Kangaroos dilemma, Buckley added: "Those discussions are getting more advanced and at some point we will be looking at making a contribution."

There is a strong feeling among football insiders in Queensland that the AFL should fund any push into Carrara.

Certainly that view is held by Southport, which was disappointed in its return from Saturday night's game.

jonty12 said:
"We've asked the ACT for a final offer quickly," confirmed Walsh. "We're now in the middle of May and we would like to resolve this soon. The Southport proposal needs more detail but we'd be happy with three games in the short term.

"We'd be crazy to jump into a bigger venture than that. We'd see how it goes over the next three years before even considering a five-game package or anything like that."

So does this mean that they would consider more than 3 games a year in the long term ie. 5 Home & Away games ??

All this talk of playing/relocating call it speculation or financial decisions, or whatever, as a result of this I am seriously considering not renewing my membership for next year. I refuse to support any team that entertains being based at GC/relocated/considering relocation and all that rubbish...

Especially when you hear about Carlton going to the AFL to ask them pay out there $10 million worth of debts !!!!

Why cant we do the same ?

Basically, Brisbane aren't making money up there coming off 16 flags in a row, we have ditched Canberra and now will jump into a market that is so non-footballer it's laughable?

Great. Things bubbling along just as well off field as on at the moment.

jonty12 said:

This is quite possibly the scariest comment I have ever heard from an official of the North Melbourne Football Club. :(

he Southport proposal needs more detail but we'd be happy with three games in the short term.

WTF!:mad:

Where did the 5 game package comment come from ??
Wasnt Walsh and Duff "astonished" at the "hysteria" about media and members comments about proposed relocation ??
They keep talking about selling the existing "3 game package" they have been doing the last 10 years.

All of a sudden, a little comment about 5 games pakages comes up ??

Whats going on ??????????????

Another USC article.

She has nothing to write about.
Her team getting Pumped (again!) by 100+ points ( again)
so this is her way of shying away from that, deep down she is ashamed of following Richmond.

We are an easy target.
this is why she has written this.
She is a filth bag, made me sick of the way she looked on the cover of the AFL Record.

Actually went into work today after reading that article, taking it as a grain of salt.

Why are we building that 4 million dollar refurbishment of Arden st?

USC go to Richmond, Im sure you'll find plenty of news stories down there/

Why they are the worst performed team int he last 26 years?
Why they are horrible?
Why they're former president helped kill Fitzroy?
Why they are a rabble
and that they're not so financially as viable.

As far as Im concerned USC can stick that article up her a**e

Wild Kangaroo said:
Another USC article.

She has nothing to write about.
Her team getting Pumped (again!) by 100+ points ( again)
so this is her way of shying away from that, deep down she is ashamed of following Richmond.

We are an easy target.
this is why she has written this.
She is a filth bag, made me sick of the way she looked on the cover of the AFL Record.

Actually went into work today after reading that article, taking it as a grain of salt.

Why are we building that 4 million dollar refurbishment of Arden st?

USC go to Richmond, Im sure you'll find plenty of news stories down there/

Why they are the worst performed team int he last 26 years?
Why they are horrible?
Why they're former president helped kill Fitzroy?
Why they are a rabble
and that they're not so financially as viable.

As far as Im concerned USC can stick that article up her a**e

With all due respect, it's not her fluff piece that has me worried, but the words from Geoff Walsh's mouth.

trevagreene said:
is it worth sending an email to the club to ask what they mean by 5 games or at the very least explain in detail what the plans are for the next 5 years ?

Going by the way our club treats its supporters?

No.

I am beginning to wonder if the total lack of promotion has been deliberate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had total confidence in Geoff Walsh, until I read this, there is something they are not telling us.

The talk of a 5 game package is nothing new. IIRC - The Duff Man made mention of this in his first interview on the topic - back in the pre season.

Since then, it hasn't been mentioned until now.

trevagreene said:
When did the Duff man mention 5 games ??? I dont recall him ever saying that and Im pretty sure Ive heard/read all his interviews with the media.

I've delved back into the archives and found the original article. Wasn't quite 5 games. Was 'up to' 4 home games over a 5 year contract (up from our current 3 year agreement)

Graham Duff said:
9th March (via a Damian Barrett article in the Herald Sun)

"North Melbourne is never going to be a wealthy club, so therefore it would be irresponsible for us not to consider every option available to us," Duff said. "If Carrara was a real option, then we would look at it.

"At this stage, our preferred option is Canberra with more money. They (ACT government representatives) are keen for us to continue and North Melbourne have put a lot of time and effort in to developing our ACT market and add the fact we play well there.

"There are some options that will emerge, Carrara for one is more than a dot on the screen.

"Do we tear up what we have got and throw all in for Carrara?"

The Roos will be seeking to sign a five-year deal on the alternative home-venue contract. The deal will be for a maximum of four home matches per year.

Arden said:
With all due respect, it's not her fluff piece that has me worried, but the words from Geoff Walsh's mouth.

USC is a trouble maker.
How does she know Geoff Walsh said these words?
She is a manipulator. and twists things around.

How do we know Mr Walsh said these words??

USC has been on Norths' case for years, over different issues, Arden st, finances etc.

The Australian media is ruthless, quite bad.
particularly The AFL media.

If It happens then Ill believe it.

At the end of the day its called Demographics, Hawthorn, Bulldogs and Richmond fall under this category

Also didn't she knock the Socceroos after qualifying for the world cup after 32 years??

Nip/Tuck said:
I wasn't having a go, but anyway.... (now that you've disrespected me)

Keep protesting hippie.

Coming on here making jokes about this situation to hardcore North supporters wasn't meant to incite us?

Just don't understand why you needed to come in here and comment at all. FWIW I am in complete support of Carlton's position at the moment, and want to see all Victorian teams stay put.

For your sake, I hope you don't have to resort to "protesting".

Remove this Banner Ad

Roos consider Gold Coast proposal (The Age)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back