Ross Lyon has quit the StKilda Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel for your club snd it's supporters

Lyon obviously has no intensions of building a list, he wants a list ready to go so he can challenge year on year

I hope Lyon never coaches a Flag

Will I ever understand why we seem to be coach searching in these situations... Sheldon after 2 finals series and a 10w10L record in 1993, Alves after making the finals twice and finishing 6th, Thomas after 3 finals series and finishing 6th and now Lyon after finishing 6th in the H&A... most teams have the shit really hit the fan before they are hunting their next coach.

So what is it about St Kilda where we are always in the news for one thing or another? It has always been that way as long as I have followed football.... would of really enjoyed a quiet football period for once!

Just an honest question to Saints fans out there.

Are you upset because you wanted Ross to stay or are you upset because he has done the dirty and appears to have been planning it for a while?

I will try and tread carefully here because I am on your board and it is no doubt at all a sensitive topic.

Personally if Ross Lyon was coaching my team, I would be happy to see the back of him. The Saints are capable of some really good attacking football, but the football world gets few glimpses of it. It is true he got them to the big game 2 years running and no doubt has been successful, but is that all him or how much can be put down to also a very handy (if slightly aging, now) list?

Saints v North earlier in the year. Sainters put on one of the best 7 minutes of football I have seen from any team (outside of Collingwood) for the season, then go straight back to their choking the game gameplan and almost (probably should have) lost the game.

I watch football for 2 reasons, one is that I love the game and the other is I love watching my team win. I have often wondered (same with Sydney under Roos) whether Saints enjoyed watching the Saints style or just enjoyed the results?

I cannot stress enough this is not trolling or anything of the likes, I am genuinely interested in where the anger comes from and whether or not people don't think Saints could be better and play more attractively under another coach.
At Carlton I would have been upset if we got rid of Ratts, because I like our game style and hope we can get some results, but anyway this is not about Carlton or Ratts.

For those upset, I am sure Saints will attract a good coach and there are some excellent footballers still at the club.

To me the coach is secondary to the players. If the players are happy with their coach and play well accordingly then I'm happy. If the players are playing crap because the coach has lost them - then get rid of the coach and find someone to re-invigorate them. The coach never goes out onto the ground and expend their sweat and blood.

I thought the players were still happy with Lyon - despite their poor season this year. If that wasn't the case (and I'm sure this will come out over the next few weeks) then this is the best news for the players, the club and the supporters.

Can't wait till we play Fremantle next year - we have a new rival. Funnily enough - we have always played well against them:).

I feel most sorry for the players. They must be devastated.

The first thing I thought when the indications Lyon would re-sign was that it sends a great message to the players. Sometimes it's about the group, and not just the money.

Going back the other way has to suck the wind out a fair bit. And overlay that with a confused start to preparations for 2012.

The trade period is now huge. Some calls might have been made by Pelchen, but can we afford to deal with players that further affects the fabric of the joint?

Are you upset because you wanted Ross to stay or are you upset because he has done the dirty and appears to have been planning it for a while?

I will try and tread carefully here because I am on your board and it is no doubt at all a sensitive topic.

Personally if Ross Lyon was coaching my team, I would be happy to see the back of him. The Saints are capable of some really good attacking football, but the football world gets few glimpses of it. It is true he got them to the big game 2 years running and no doubt has been successful, but is that all him or how much can be put down to also a very handy (if slightly aging, now) list?

Saints v North earlier in the year. Sainters put on one of the best 7 minutes of football I have seen from any team (outside of Collingwood) for the season, then go straight back to their choking the game gameplan and almost (probably should have) lost the game.

I watch football for 2 reasons, one is that I love the game and the other is I love watching my team win. I have often wondered (same with Sydney under Roos) whether Saints enjoyed watching the Saints style or just enjoyed the results?

I cannot stress enough this is not trolling or anything of the likes, I am genuinely interested in where the anger comes from and whether or not people don't think Saints could be better and play more attractively under another coach.
At Carlton I would have been upset if we got rid of Ratts, because I like our game style and hope we can get some results, but anyway this is not about Carlton or Ratts.

For those upset, I am sure Saints will attract a good coach and there are some excellent footballers still at the club.

Just enjoyed the results. Watching your team win 1-0 is still far more enjoyable than watching your team lose 299-300.

And the Saints board mods are pretty relaxed compared to some others. Some of the crap that is left around (usually by the filth) is pretty surprising.

Your post comes nowhere near the line, let alone crossing it.:thumbsu:

Edit: I should also add that Freo are pretty much guaranteed 3 flags in a row. Look at all the people who leave St Kilda, Barry Hall, Guerra, Luke Ball.

Pretty disgraceful overall.

I feel for your club snd it's supporters

Lyon obviously has no intensions of building a list, he wants a list ready to go so he can challenge year on year

I hope Lyon never coaches a Flag

It's the development part that's the real concern.

He's left us in a position where we must tread carefully.

$3.5mill for his first year.
$1 mill for next 3.

We were no chance. Impossible to compete.

Speachless...where the **** are they getting the money to pay that in the first year from?!? Someone won the powerball/lotto in the past few weeks :confused:

GT is reminding me more and more of Aker each time he opens his mouth. Needs to stop kicking his old team at every possible opportunity.

Speachless...where the **** are they getting the money to pay that in the first year from?!? Someone won the powerball/lotto in the past few weeks :confused:

GT is reminding me more and more of Aker each time he opens his mouth. Needs to stop kicking his old team at every possible opportunity.

Freo have the driector of westfarmers on their board, and they have a big mining company that supports and bank rolls the club.

I used to like GT but i now cringe when he opens his mouth, because there is nothing nice about the saints that he talks about!!!

This just goes to show what sort of a guy he is. Not only does he keep your club in the dark but also his Management...He has lost all credibilty . l hope you get a coach that helps you win a grand final just to shove it up his a#*e. Mind you not against us though...
Mate youve got to realise footy is a business and this stuff happens all the time not only in the footy world but everywhere else. Put yourself in Lyons shoes for a sec and youll find most people would have done the same thing after being offered that sort of coin. So what if the deal was being done behind the Saints back. He got offered a better opportunity and took it. Most smart business people who are successful in life get that way because they make these types of decisions even if it is at the expense of someone else. In this world you look after No 1 and thats whats most important and thats what he has done.

Cheers to those that responded and good luck in the search for a new coach.
Until they are not signed I don't believe that either Malthouse or Roos is a certainty to not coach next year, so there is still quality + the next great coach out there

I cannot understand why Ross Lyon would be so underhand. I'm not sure your reputation ever recovers from something like this.

I thought Bomber was a dog, but this...

Still, I think you guys will come out of this stronger.

I cannot understand why Ross Lyon would be so underhand. I'm not sure your reputation ever recovers from something like this.

I thought Bomber was a dog, but this...

Still, I think you guys will come out of this stronger.

Touch of the Terry Wallaces too. He never regained respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shattered at the happenings of this evening.. Clearly FORTIOUS QUO FIDELIUS only remains for the fans.

Lyon is a dog and I tell you what, he is lucky that he isn't stepping foot anywhere near St Kilda again.. You just wait until we play Freo next year.

Furious not because he has left, but because of the way he has gone about it. Spouting words about committment, desire, hunger and effort to the players only to piss all over it and leave without telling a soul!

Gutless, Worthless, Heartless.

Once all this settles down, as has been pointed out throughout these pages the club will move on. It could be a blessing in disguise, or he could've set our list back 5-10years.

It is crucial that we all stick by our club, even if some people dont.

I for one will be renewing my Social Club membership again.

FORTIOUS QUO FIDELIUS

and remember

THE CLUB IS BIGGER THEN THE INDIVIDUAL

So when did Lyon start talks - Sunday morning? Must have been on the agenda for longer than that you would think.

**** me dead.

I can't believe he approached them, possibly weeks ago. WTF?

Leaves us way way way behind in the race for a coach.

This is how and why I think this situation has come about.

Freo obviously had their sights on Lyon for some time, they had Harvey coming out of contract the same year Lyon's contract would have expired, 2012. Maybe a quiet approach was made saying please talk to us before signing anything.

Then Melbourne sacked Bailey and have thrown a big deal at Lyon. Lyon is thinking "Crikey, I've got three clubs bidding for my services"

Freo can see they could lose their man and put a big offer on the table in private, no manager involved.

Lyon goes to the Saints and asks what they are willing to offer, its a pretty poor one opposed to a 5 year multi million dollar offer from a club with deep pockets and a pretty decent list.

Saints didn't want to match what the market was saying he was worth.

Tough outcome all round.

Jason Gram on Twitter: Not sure what to say, in shock. Did not see this coming after yesterday

Alot to try and get through. I can only answer for myself.

Ross had some great positives. He always had the team competitive, regardless of who was on the field. He got the most out of B and C grade players and it helped lengthen our 'window' BUT Ross had flaws.

1 - Ross was brought in because he wasn't going to play favorites. A common issue with Grant Thomas was that he played guys like Kosi, Hammill, Maguire, the Clarkes etc. despite being injured or out of from. Early on Ross was very much a hard task master. Kosi, Dal Santo, Milne and Gram all spent time in the VFL for not being up to standard, however, over the years Ross developed new favorites.

Dawson, Jones, Dempster, Raph Clarke, McQualter and Rob Eddy were all played ahead of what has been thought of as a very talented crop of youth.

2 - He was loathe into playing young men withough experience against senior bodies. Jones, McQualter, Eddy and a raft of recycled players were put ahead of what has been seen as a talented crop underneath. Ross felt that in the cut and thrust of AFL finals, these young men would be found out.

We can never know if we would've won a flag with Armitage and Steven in the team instead, all we know is that we didn't win one with the team that played.

3 - For all his great work with cast offs, he sure can make a stuff up. We passed on Cousins for fear of his off field behavior. Ben would've only cost us a PSD or the last pick in the draft (A pick we used on Brisbane discard Colm Begley)

The next year we traded our first pick, 16, for Andrew Lovett. Lovett also had a history of off field issues but was seen as a safer option. We all know the story with Lovett and I won't go over it again here BUT pick 16 was used in the end by Port Adelaide on Jasper Pittard, a very good prospect. Other players taken include - Daniel Menzel (Pick 17), Luke Tapscott (18), Nat Fyfe (20), Ryan Bastinac (21), Travis Colyer (26) and Mitch Duncan (28).

That hurts...

In the end his job was to win games. Which we did. We have all defended the way we play because it was getting results. I went into games the last couple of years hoping that we didn't make a mistake that would cost us. Everything felt tense and on a knife edge.

I went to a number of Essendon games over the last 2 years and the feeling is chalk and cheese. Their fans expect to win and expect their team to die trying. It's all positive. The same goes for Collingwood, Carlton, Geelong and Hawthorn fans. When I went to Saints games the fans would always be worried about the negatives possible costing us the game. It was never a 'lock'.

Am I sad to see him go? Not really, but the manner in which he has deceived so many people for a financial gain is disgusting. All it takes is abit of honesty. Just let us know that he doesn't see himself as the best candidate to lead the rebuild. He has lost all credibilty in my eyes. He will be the highest payed coach in the AFL next year but he will also be the least respected.

Next year the shackles are off for the Saints. I would expect that some obvious moves will be made. Roo to a wing. Walsh and Stanley will get games. Lynch will be turned into a backman and the rest of the kids will get a crack. I only hope that the new coach, whoever it may be, doesn't fall into the traps that lead to the tension of the last couple of years.

This could be a watershed moment for the St Kilda Football Club. This could be the moment that, rather than destroy the club, unifies us beyond measure.

At the start of the year I posted this - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20071393#post20071393

I retract that statement now. It's time to bring the passion back to this club.

Go you mighty Sainters!!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius

First of all kudos to the st. kilda mods for not banning other supporters for giving their point of view unlike *cough* melbourne mods *cough* on their board.

Second of all, I reckon this is possibly a good thing for St. Kilda as they needed a coach who can look from a different perspective and freshen up the list, which I feel Lyon wouldn't have been able to do. Also it's better for St. Kilda to have a coach that has his heart at the club & is ready to stick with the club through the thick and thin, than someone who's just looking for some premiership glory and will back stab his own club at a chance to win it.

On a brighter note... Vozzo had announced his retirement today.... Were bound to win more matches now :D

Shattered at the happenings of this evening.. Clearly FORTIOUS QUO FIDELIUS only remains for the fans.

Lyon is a dog and I tell you what, he is lucky that he isn't stepping foot anywhere near St Kilda again.. You just wait until we play Freo next year.

Furious not because he has left, but because of the way he has gone about it. Spouting words about committment, desire, hunger and effort to the players only to piss all over it and leave without telling a soul!

Gutless, Worthless, Heartless.

Once all this settles down, as has been pointed out throughout these pages the club will move on. It could be a blessing in disguise, or he could've set our list back 5-10years.

It is crucial that we all stick by our club, even if some people dont.

I for one will be renewing my Social Club membership again.

FORTIOUS QUO FIDELIUS

and remember

THE CLUB IS BIGGER THEN THE INDIVIDUAL

Here here!
Barracking for this club is a sport in itself.
If it starts gettin boring , we start gettin worried.
All we can do is keep supporting the club, who will survive many coaches , ceo s , star players etc etc.
Would you rather barrack for north?
I love the red white and black!

I'm just glad we have strong leaders in the team.
Reiwoldt, Milne , Lenny, Joey, DalSanto, BJ , Dempster,Schneider , Blake, and Fisher could just about put themselves through a preseason without any coaching. I hope they are strong enough to take this on the chin and get on with the challenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon has quit the StKilda Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back