Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Happy?

• Yes

Votes: 225 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rebuild may not be the exact word. Changes in personnel, philosophy and direction may more accurately describe it.

There has been a bit of a pile on about list management. Do people really know enough about what goes on internally to want it changed? The Elshaugh years are well documented. Funny how Ross mentions him as a close friend and confidant. But we are still paying for those years. Some tragic picks. And the Pelican.

But does Gallagher deserve all the criticism? Seems everyone is down on him because of a quiet trade period. He’s made some ok moves as far as I can see. Wilkie among them. Sharman. Draft picks have been ok. Did he do Alison?

Liberatore was there, I hear Toce’s name. They are more into recruitment? I don’t quite get how that is all structured now. Can anyone really back up what’s wrong with Gallagher without mixing up previous errors?

Gallagher in my mind has left holes in the list and the age profile looks really uneven. Spent a lot of draft capital topping up and so far haven't reaped rewards. I think we'll have to wait and see what Ross can do with this list before we completely write him off but there are a few concerns there.

You reckon Clarko will coach next year?

Yes, as will Fagan.

Right now, at this juncture, people are still gathering their ducks to put in a row, so people will still be employed until such a time as someone has a binder and says "these people are mafioso engaging Germany and here's why they hate indigenous populations" for boots to be properly inserted into arses for punting purposes.

Until such a time occurs, they'll just be like Hird or Bomber Thompson where you knew something was amiss, you knew something had to give because no one does those rumour things and not be on something and then the story breaks to action and here's credits to back it up and oh hey there chemists and no documentation on 40 something people and POWDAAAAAH'D SUGAAAAAAAAAAAH in muh veins. To have a very long time before anyone gives you a look in again.

Also, it's the AFL during a transition where Gil is goneski, as if they'll act quickly on any finding, that'll drag like dogs balls.

You don’t need to rebuild if the right people are in place off-field. There will be enough organic improvement within the team to create a base of a top 6-10 team that can be then quickly improved.

Look at the major staff changes in key posts. Lethlean as CEO, Walsh as Football Manager and Lyon as senior coach. Three ruthless, hardened, experienced and smart cookies.

Fitness guru and List Manager to follow in 12 months. Possibly development guy (if required) When these are in place then the jigsaw is complete.

I can smell the fear from supporters of other clubs. They are squawking because they are worried. As they should be.
I'll be happy to go with Gallagher for at least the off season if it means getting Jason Cripps back home to replace him, rather than replace Gags immediately with SOS.

After feasting on a homecoming entrée, main and cheese plate worthy of the finest Bayside restaurant, finishing it off with Stephen Silvani as our new list manager would be like getting a caramel paddle pop for dessert.

I found it interesting listening to the Lyon interviews today. He's such a good interviewer and will be better now after the media time.

I thought it was really interesting how he said he never focuses on clangers. Said you obviously train skills but would never bring them up in a game review.

Fairly massive contrast to Ratten who was blaming the skills for every loss late in the year.

I think for Ross things like skills and fitness are non-negotiables.

But also it makes sense to me that it's more important to provide an environment of trust in the players' ability to execute the skills through total effort and buy-in.

As a teacher you don't say "your spelling is terrible", it is up to you to provide an environment where the spelling can improve and the student can thrive. If they don't improve then it's an indictment on you as a teacher.

Gallagher in my mind has left holes in the list and the age profile looks really uneven. Spent a lot of draft capital topping up and so far haven't reaped rewards. I think we'll have to wait and see what Ross can do with this list before we completely write him off but there are a few concerns there.
I always wonder if those things are being dictated to him. Can we lay it at his door? We went draft last year and this year as well. I’m glad of that. Unless there was a great opportunity of course. And getting FA’s is bloody difficult for us. For anybody really other than the top sides.

As you say, Lyon and I dare say Walsh will work it out.

You reckon Clarko will coach next year?
I just don’t see how.

If you read what Russel Jackson wrote, Clarko, Fagan and the Hawks were running an operation where they were right in the weeds (as Ross would say) of what was going on: from buying SIM cards, to telling players to abort babies.

Throw in the race angle and it is one of the biggest cluster****s a sports club could have.

No doubt Clarko and Fagan will deny it. But, rightly or wrongly, it’s 2022 now. The concept of “my truth” is de riguer right now and no way will a group of indigenous players and their partners be told their truth is wrong.

As I said, cluster**** and no idea how Clarko or Fagan can get out of it.

I always wonder if those things are being dictated to him. Can we lay it at his door? We went draft last year and this year as well. I’m glad of that. Unless there was a great opportunity of course. And getting FA’s is bloody difficult for us. For anybody really other than the top sides.

As you say, Lyon and I dare say Walsh will work it out.

Yeah, I think he's still there because he was doing Lether's bidding. I think it would have been Lethlean's plan to top up for immediate improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be happy to go with Gallagher for at least the off season if it means getting Jason Cripps back home to replace him, rather than replace Gags immediately with SOS.

After feasting on a homecoming entrée, main and cheese plate worthy of the finest Bayside restaurant, finishing it off with Stephen Silvani as our new list manager would be like getting a caramel paddle pop for dessert.
Not much else he can do this off season, other than trade picks back into the draft.

The rest will be up to Toce.

I agree, I don't see SOS as a move forward, sideways if anything.

Gallagher is not the ideal man but he also has not done a heap wrong, other than getting Hill which was decided before he took the job.

Last edited:
Done
In the media thread
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

Yeah, I think he's still there because he was doing Lether's bidding. I think it would have been Lethlean's plan to top up for immediate improvement.
Given that the squad when Gallagher arrived was one of the youngest and least experienced in the AFL its hardly surprising they looked to add some experienced players.

Will be interesting to see the age and experience profile after this draft.

Lyon is no list manager.
Most clubs have a lot of young players who won't really get far.

We have Adams, Allison, Conolly, Byrnes, Heath that have an element of doubt.
Compare to 2011 or so, when we had no young players worth keeping.

I tend to think the Age profile thing is a bit over rated.

Lyon is no list manager.
Most clubs have a lot of young players who won't really get far.

We have Adams, Allison, Conolly, Byrnes, Heath that have an element of doubt.
Compare to 2011 or so, when we had no young players worth keeping.

I tend to think the Age profile thing is a bit over rated.

I don't disagree but you can move forward a lot quicker by nailing draft picks. Our ordinary list is due to a decade of poor list management and drafting. If we'd gone the draft instead of Hill, Howard and Ryder types we are a different profile. We probably got impatient and tried to cheat the system only to cheat ourselves.

Our under 23 squad is probably the smallest in the AFL at the moment. For a side not playing deep finals that's a pretty yuck. I think Lyon is a guy who needs a lot less access to top draft picks to get the most out of his side so perhaps he can justify the way the club went with topping up.

I think player movement will get more and more fluid and if Ross can build momentum he should provide an attractive environment for players to come to. That might make drafting piles of high end talent less relevant.

Has he really spent that much though? The 2019 draft was used up in order to bolster the older end of the list but that was mostly it. The "holes" are in the 24 - 26 area where we dont have many remaining from the 2015/2016 drafts which he wasnt a part of.

People seem to forget how many players he brought in that are best 22 in that one trade period which is no mean feat.

I've haven't been this emotional regarding the saints since Roo and Hayes retired.

We have well and truly turned the corner. I would be very very surprised if our membership doesn't grow by at least 5K even with our shit season.

This is the first time to me anyways that it feels like we are a well run club. A club that doesn't take mediocrity and a club that will leave no stone unturned for the ultimate success.

Maybe they trade next year's 1st thinking they'll trade 1-2 players out durimg next years trade period to get back into the draft?
Look it’s a move myself and others have spoken about and agree with.

But that article indicates we want someone touted in the top 6 as opposed to adding another first rounder.

Maybe Bird Man is Gags and has been telling everyone what the deal is

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Back