Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Happy?

• Yes

Votes: 225 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Harvs must have been keen as, got the call on Friday, signed and sealed by Tuesday

rvsaQHz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the long post....

A lot of people have stated something similar but it’s hard to put in to words what this past week has been like. The last decade has felt like every year my love for the club had slowly been eaten away each season. I was very lucky in retrospect to grow up as a Saints fan in the 90s and 00s. Even if we weren’t competing for a flag we always had champion players and an identity. We were the underdog but always had something to cheer for and be proud of.

We then slowly built respectability on the field and eventually became an on field force. I didn’t live through the 80’s so I only really new us as a great team. I rather naively thought that would just continue forever.

Seeing every other drought be broken over the last few years as we sleepwalked into irrelevance, especially after the cruelty of 09 and 10 was painful. So much so that I shut myself off emotionally from the team and the last couple of years never had any faith in the club or the playing group that they would step up in big moments and take any steps forward as a team, you just knew deep down it wasn’t going to happen. There was just something missing that is hard to put into words.

Who knows if this will work out, but I am just thrilled that the club is showing some ambition. It seems like we are trying to reclaim our soul a little bit. I never truly believed in Richo or Ratts, as good as people as they are. They were just completely uninspiring, like the club has become. Maybe we needed this period of stability to get back to Moorabbin and become stable financially. Huge kudos to the club for the position we are now in off field. I know a couple of people that work at the club and have been in the industry a long time and they say the difference is night and day, we were always a joke off field.

We now have a platform for success. I can’t believe the changes over the course of a couple of weeks. I am now completely on board. I haven’t felt this invested in the club since Ross left. To hear him speak and defend the club like he has over the past 24 hours stirred something I haven’t felt in a long time.

Go Saints.

I love how RTB is already creating an us vs them mentality. “The footy public don’t rate us. They think we’re a joke & irrelevant. What are you going to do about it?”
It’s no accident that he’s been leading the pressers with “I don’t like that narrative around St Kilda”. He will feed this to the players. All part of footy psychology.

He’s a smart man. All the right buttons will be pushed.

Can’t help but get excited when he talks about football

If you’re a player who’s message would rather listen to
Richo-Ratts or Lyon
Probably Cho or Ratten because I'm soft
More importantly Kosi confirmed he is not seeing Lauren Jackson.
I thought she was into girls

Day 1 RSEA:

“Rossy mate you can’t flirt with the receptionist, you’re old nuff to be her granddad & she’s a 10”.

“Harvs maaaate, I don’t work in probabilities, I work in possibilities “.

#rossisms
Hope the receppo flips the roles and compliments Ross's "budding breasts".
Absolute cannons on him, f*ckin Jersey Cow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been binging old Ross and Saints content for a good two weeks now. A few things struck me.

Firstly, you forget how amazing we were at the dome under Ross and from 2003 of GT’s rein. It was a proper home ground advantage for us and Ross mentioned it a few times in pressers. Expect to see our home record improve, he’ll just demand it.

Secondly, I’ve seen a few here read Ross’s quote about “I’m not worried about clangers, only effort” to deduct that he won’t fix our appalling skills. I don’t agree with this. People are not understanding that a huge part of what makes a team and individuals hit more targets is the teams structure, teammates predictably of movement, and a players mental resilience to execute skills time and again under pressure.

Ross knows that, if you get the structure right, simplify players roles, train leading patterns that are consistent and predictable, and have an effort that is unconditional, skills improve.

Psychologically, with his messaging that clangers don’t matter, Ross also knows that, especially in modern footy with pressure through the roof, you need players to have the confidence to go for their kicks so doesn’t want to get down on them for making errors (for soccer lovers, Jurgen Klopp calls this “big balls football”, basically saying he wants his players to show the courage to go for their passes and not just take the safe option).

This is why so many of us have been arguing with many on here about the state of our “list” not being the root of the problem with our football team. Exhibit A of this is that you couldn’t possibly, even if you tried, draft a whole bunch of 18 year olds that can’t kick like us over so many years. Players can all kick nowadays. So the sorry state of our skills on any given weekend between 2012-22 has to be down to the environment they are in, the coaching they have been getting, the structures in place in the team etc. Far from an elite environment.

Effort is a foundation of it all that is unconditional. It should be like breathing, it is automatic.

I’m so happy, but not surprised, that Ross gets the above as he is an elite coach. Lists don’t matter a great deal, it’s how they are coached and developed day in day out that is key in creating an environment where you win more games than you lose.

Last edited:
Bit of a "enough is enough" approach from Bassat the last month or so too.

It seems as though Bassat has just had a gutful and decided to get shit done. Good on him. Sometimes that’s just what has to happen.

I’m old enough to remember that this is the sort of stuff that Richmond did in the 60s and 70s. Ruthless. Individuals sacrificed for the good of the club. Feelings were not considered.

Graeme Richmond was the ‘executioner’. Vice President and Chief Recruiter. Like Bassat he also had hearing difficulties and a speech impediment. Smart, acidic, observant little man who was utterly cold blooded.

I’m happy for Bassat to keep going. Go all out and just get stuff done. That’s what leads to fear and respect and I desperately crave that for our club.

Harvs must have been keen as, got the call on Friday, signed and sealed by Tuesday
Honestly he’d be thinking it’s great to get out of Hawthorn.

It’s going to be an absolute shit show over there when the racism report drops.

Hawks will be stuffed for years, this story will be massive, the AFL have absolutely no control over the hysteria race-related issues create in 2022. It’s the big issue on society now and, as much as the AFL think they may be able to control it, this report will be like a tsunami sweeping everything before it.

Ross signing will be long forgotten once Clarko is forced out of North and Fagan as well. Three clubs in crisis before the season begins.

Smart move by Banger.

Who knows if this works however I don't think you can get results on field if the off field is unstable and no good.

Will it result in the ultimate prize? History says no, but this admin won't die wondering and WTF do we even exist for if we aren't trying to win the f'kn thing?

It will work. History shows that clubs with the best off-field people achieve success and maintain it.

We are going about this the right way.

In the presser I thought he cactus up when talking about Walsh.

Pretty much said his appointment was pivotal in him taking the job. (One of his 4 pillars)

But Walsh was appointed an entire month before Ratten was sacked.

So this timeline only points to speaking way before Ratten even knew the axe was over his head.
Don't necessarily agree with your interpretation. The fact that Walsh had been appointed may have meant that Ross was at least prepared to take Saints call. If Walsh hadn't already been on board Ross's response to the Saints approach might have been the same as to Essendon - thanks but no thanks.

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

i honestly dont think this works and i do think its a last ditch effort of an admin thats out of ideas....

having said that i can't deny it doesn't feel good. it feels like a wound has been healed.

i do like ross standing up for the club and it does feel nice having past players reconnect with the club. i also like that he's always been about the smaller battling clubs rather than large power clubs.

maybe it might instill some pride back in the place. which would be nice. a bit of respect and fight.

hopefully the players can get a shift in how they approach their careers and the results they get.

Even if he's our Paul Roos he's going to straighten the rugs and patch the walls. We ran the place down and need some serious catch up work done.

It seems as though Bassat has just had a gutful and decided to get s**t done. Good on him. Sometimes that’s just what has to happen.

I’m old enough to remember that this is the sort of stuff that Richmond did in the 60s and 70s. Ruthless. Individuals sacrificed for the good of the club. Feelings were not considered.

Graeme Richmond was the ‘executioner’. Vice President and Chief Recruiter. Like Bassat he also had hearing difficulties and a speech impediment. Smart, acidic, observant little man who was utterly cold blooded.

I’m happy for Bassat to keep going. Go all out and just get stuff done. That’s what leads to fear and respect and I desperately crave that for our club.
Bassat came in at the end of 2018 and wasn’t going to make any big moves straight away. COVID, hubs, and lockdowns etc came in and it was survival. This year was the first clear year of his time. He gave it a chance, and it didn’t work.

So he acted. I really admire his determined clear thinking. Probably wanted to do this 2 or 3 years ago. I get why they gave Ratts a new contract. They gave it a chance with an opportunity for finals. He wants success and with Ross the timing was spot on. Who cares if they spoke indirectly to Ross beforehand. Media just interested in gotcha journalism.

I do think we will be better for all the changes, and long term we will be a more competitive and consistent club. How far we go in the short term is honestly anyone’s guess. I said numerous times this year that I would be happy to endure a rebuild if what I saw meant there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Watching a young developing team is a lot more palatable than the frustrations of the past few years. These polls in the media about where do you think the Saints will finish next year are complete rubbish. Great if we do well early, but long sustained success is what we are after.

Patience. We are on the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Back