Happy?

• Yes

Votes: 225 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

On the list:

“I haven’t looked at the list, The only reason you are getting a job is because it’s not perfect”

“A couple of good drafts can turn you around quickly”

“Great foundation and We just have to bring out a some real A Graders and provide an environment to produce great players”

Gresham looks like a guy who's seriously miffed. Clark looks like a guy who's life has flashed between his eyes.
You guys should all be writing fiction.
( Not sure you’d be best sellers though 😃)

Ross has always had a touch of mad genius about him. He's a bit eccentric, a bit vain, a bit left field.....but he's a very good coach. St Kilda and Freo are eccentric teams. They don't fit the mould and Ross wouldn't suit any other type of club. He just feels like the right fit, even the return and the slow sign on is just different from what others do.

I'm happy we've finally stopped trying to be something we're not, got back in touch with our weird side and bought back our spirit.
Nailed it, Gringo!

Have to admit I never saw this upheaval coming. The trade period certainly was a bit of a downer, particularly the de Goey decision even though we all kinda knew he wasn't coming, but also the lack of any deals to improve our draft selections. It really felt like we were in for another few years of no man's land, the old chestnut "not bad enough to bottom out and not good enough to contend" fitting just like the previous seven years or so.

Never thought we'd see Ross back in the joint either. Add to that the undeniable romance of Lenny fricken Hayes and Robert goddamn Harvey and for the new season as a Saints supporter I feel like a kid early on Xmas day waiting to open his presents!

The best thing I got from the SEN interview was his story about Dangerfield ( he meant Selwood) having more winning finals than the Saints. Told the bloke to piss off (his words), then said he challenged Lloyd to why DeGoey wouldn't want to go to the Saints, best part of the bay area, great facilities, 60k members, good list etc.
Basically he is responding to the disrespect. Sounded like one of us here.

People outside of the club can't understand why we are so bullish about this.
Well it is Bassat, Lethlean, Walsh and now Lyon. All good strong operators in the back end.
As fans we see what RTB articulated, our club being disrespected like we are Gold Coast.
Get the off field right and then we go for positive W/L.
Lyon also said he didn't study the list at St.Kilda x 2 or Freo. Really interesting mindset.
Look it may all go **** up as it usually does at the Saints, but we can't say this President and CEO are sitting on their hands.
As Garry Lyon said, RTBhas moved the needle. Also said 80% of the texts were very positive.
We only get relevance once we get positive W/L so 2023 is the litmus test for us.

But we have some hope for our football club again.

This is probably the best interview of the lot.

Really honest.

I love the fact that he has said multiple times that both club and himself challenged each other across all different facets.

That’s healthy. That’s top level behaviour. That’s how you get better.

I also love how he owns the development. His program. Yes he wants quality people involved (that’s on the club) but he owns what happens and he is here for the foreseeable future.

I love it.

The best thing I got from the SEN interview was his story about Dangerfield ( he meant Selwood) having more winning finals than the Saints. Told the bloke to piss off (his words), then said he challenged Lloyd to why DeGoey wouldn't want to go to the Saints, best part of the bay area, great facilities, 60k members, good list etc.
Basically he is responding to the disrespect. Sounded like one of us here.

People outside of the club can't understand why we are so bullish about this.
Well it is Bassat, Lethlean, Walsh and now Lyon. All good strong operators in the back end.
As fans we see what RTB articulated, our club being disrespected like we are Gold Coast.
Get the off field right and then we go for positive W/L.
Lyon also said he didn't study the list at St.Kilda x 2 or Freo. Really interesting mindset.
Look it may all go **** up as it usually does at the Saints, but we can't say this President and CEO are sitting on their hands.
As Garry Lyon said, RTBhas moved the needle. Also said 80% of the texts were very positive.
We only get relevance once we get positive W/L so 2023 is the litmus test for us.

But we have some hope for our football club again.
He embarrasses a number of opinions including a few on here - who I thought about being smart with and quoting when he rattled off his stat of:

#1 in defence and #5 in attack at the half way point before injuries in 2019.

Ross has always had a touch of mad genius about him. He's a bit eccentric, a bit vain, a bit left field.....but he's a very good coach. St Kilda and Freo are eccentric teams. They don't fit the mould and Ross wouldn't suit any other type of club. He just feels like the right fit, even the return and the slow sign on is just different from what others do.

I'm happy we've finally stopped trying to be something we're not, got back in touch with our weird side and bought back our spirit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This
Spot on

He’s a mad genius alright, he changed the game in 2009 with forward pressure that teams are still winning flags with today. I remember him saying that in 2008 we played both grand finalists in the finals and got smacked by both of them so they had to come up with something to get to that level and 2009 was a result of what he came up with. It should’ve resulted in a flag for us as well but unfortunately we missed a few easy goals but that’s the kind of coach he is.

I liked that in his last year at Freo they were 1st for defense and 5th for attack with a young team, that’s the kind of style that will get us where we want to go.

I hope this works. I fear loading up with ex Saints players is myopic. The fall out if it fails will be seismic.

Lyon’s years at the top of his game are a long time ago now and in a different footy world. I pray he can really adapt.
We all do. I’d usually be concerned about bringing ex-Saints. I think Ross is more focused on bringing in people he trusts rather then ex-Saints people. It just happens that a lot of people he trusts are from that 07-11 era when he was last with us.

He made an interesting comment in one of his interviews this morning, “desire is more important than competence”, or something like that. He wants people around him that are here to work hard rather than have a flash resume.

With all of this talk about bringing old Sainters back into the fold, I hope we look at Sean Dempster in a fitness/high performance role. There's few better examples of players who rose to another level under Ross, and he was one of the standard setters when he was playing for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Back