Game Day Round 1, 2016 - West Coast vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker and Schache are essential new ins for us, and we saw what happened last year when we finally got a forward line. Zorko and Beams are the big outs for us, although we do have Bastinac and Bell as ins which do somewhat cover them out. Rich, Rocky, Hanley, Bastinac, Robbo. We should have enough fire power there to hold our own in the middle, but it will be these 5 guys that win or lose us the game. Bundy, Bell, Lester, Squiz handy 2nd stringers who should all be able to contribute. If those guys can win enough ball and use it well, we have the fire power up forward to mark and convert.

We cant afford a 20min lapse where we leak 8 goals, and we cant let them move the ball coast to coast.

Good luck guys, we both need a bit of a break from injuries, so hopefully everyone gets through unscathed.

Looking forward to seeing Schache, the top picks have looked good so far this round, and Schache probably the best of the lot, although he's definitely in the most difficult position to dominate.

Good luck guys, we both need a bit of a break from injuries, so hopefully everyone gets through unscathed.

Looking forward to seeing Schache, the top picks have looked good so far this round, and Schache probably the best of the lot, although he's definitely in the most difficult position to dominate.
Schache would of kicked 6 if he played for the swans last night. Just cant see us getting that much footy. :(

Looks like we should get decent conditions for the game, the rain has nearly gone and the oval drains well. I just want us to be competitive through the four quarters and also some goals from our tall forwards.

No its not Damo, but I did check the thread before hand and it wasn't posted.
Aghh yes. This the game day thread. Was mentioned in the preview or something thread. You have my honest apologies. Seriously. Just a touch wound up after attending the eagles board. Makes me want robbo to tear straight through priddis and see him rendered unfit to play out the game.

Kennedy to kick 10

I felt that we had a realistic chance of sneaking a win if Sauce kept Kennedy quiet.... Not overly confident in our young defence standing up to Kennedy Darling

....... hope that, because Weitering had a brilliant game, people don't compare our Schache and be critical etc and put extra pressure on the lad.

Just want him to settle into the team in his own sweet time without any hoohaa or massive expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching players with decent running capacity really impact games this round, I reckon Bewick is in for a big one. Not his biggest fan but just a hunch.

I don't think anyone is underestimating the experience we've lost losing Merrett (and arguably Clarke) for this game, but when you look at the numbers that are left it's quite staggering.

What we'll probably see as our back six for most of today:

FB: Gardiner (25 games), Andrews (19), Harwood (59)
HB: Cutler (18), McStay (29), Paparone (45)

Average of 32.5 games per player (or close to one and a half full seasons).

This is the first time ever that all six of them will take the field together.

There are 5 games previously where 5 of the 6 have played together. 5 of them played together between Rd 4 & 7 2015 (Harwood missing); and Rd 13 2015 (Gardiner missing).

The results of those games were -53 WCE, -64 GC, +9 CAR, +37 PA, -13 ADE. Note also Merrett did not play in any of these games; however Clarke did.

The three key backs (Andrews, Gardiner & McStay) have never really played 'together' (whilst they played 8 games together in 2015; McStay was played as a forward).

The three 'smalls' or 'runners' (Harwood, Paps & Cutler) have played 3 games together. Rd 4 2014 (-113 to PA - yikes!), Rd 14 2014 (-83 FRE - ouch again!) and Rd 13 2015 (-13 ADE - I like the direction this is heading?).

Not sure what to make of all this, other than it may be ugly to begin with, but once these guys get used to playing with each other, lookout!

*Note I left out Hanley (107) who's really a midfielder (who can go back, but might need to cover the loss of Zorko this week) and Claye (36) who we're not sure is even playing.

The pessimism in this thread is a bit much. We are in the upswing of a development phase... more to discuss and look for than the mere expected scoreboard result.

Not a good portent for hopes of the match discussion and autopsy being tempered by perspective and reasonable expectations.

The pessimism in this thread is a bit much. We are in the upswing of a development phase... more to discuss and look for than the mere expected scoreboard result.

Still think we are a fair chance to cause an upset. If we can get on top in the midfield it will be a very close game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back