Preview Round 1, 2020: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 22 March 2020, 3.20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard this also, but personally I think COVID-19 will be a lot worse in 6 weeks than it is now, given the politician's long drawn out solution to stem the flow it wouldn't shock me if we lose a whole season.
Yep 2 months before we Even hit peak chaos

Gunston is a serious chance of playing. He played in the intra club last week. His ability plus forward line experience would greatly help the other forwards, so I'd have him in with O'Brien (who is much quicker when the ball hits the deck) ahead of Lewis who is still touch and go from his twisted ankle. I'd love to see Minchington play too...and kick the winning goal...what a story that would be.

I have never ever been less interested in football than right now.

I just can’t understand how the players outside of being guaranteed their pay are one bit interested either with everything currently going on.
They are being asked to take a pay cut. While a lot of them can probably afford it, some won't be able to and given the short nature of AFL career's it's potentially a big chunk out of their lifetime earnings so I can understand why they want to play.

How many of us could handle our works asking us to take a 20% pay cut for the year? I know it's not quite the same given the amounts most of us make vs the average AFL wage, but there was no mention that players on the minimum would be excluded from that cut. You could have blokes on $70k being asked to give up 15k when they are already going to miss out on any match payments and performance bonuses, appearance money, sponsor money, a lot is going out the window if there is no AFL season

I think there are a lot of people, especially in service and hospitality, who will take more of a hit than that.
Oh for sure. A lot of them would probably work if given the choice though, despite the risks of infection, because they need the money.

They are being asked to take a pay cut. While a lot of them can probably afford it, some won't be able to and given the short nature of AFL career's it's potentially a big chunk out of their lifetime earnings so I can understand why they want to play.

How many of us could handle our works asking us to take a 20% pay cut for the year? I know it's not quite the same given the amounts most of us make vs the average AFL wage, but there was no mention that players on the minimum would be excluded from that cut. You could have blokes on $70k being asked to give up 15k when they are already going to miss out on any match payments and performance bonuses, appearance money, sponsor money, a lot is going out the window if there is no AFL season

Some country’s have put a stop on mortgage repayments to help ensure decions around health and well-being come first. If something like this was to occur would the players be more willing to accept pay cuts?

Some country’s have put a stop on mortgage repayments to help ensure decions around health and well-being come first. If something like this was to occur would the players be more willing to accept pay cuts?
If nobody had to pay their mortgage, electricity etc that would obviously significantly reduce the impact of loss of income. At some point those bills have to be paid by someone though.

Personally I think this is highlighting the house of cards the AFL is built on. Their model appears to not be sustainable and their actions so far have shown that it seems to be all about the money for everyone involved.

It's just a job, we're just an income stream.

Everything else is window dressing just like any business that talks about work life balance and valuing their employees as people.

This is going to hit everyone's hip pocket in one shape or another

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If nobody had to pay their mortgage, electricity etc that would obviously significantly reduce the impact of loss of income. At some point those bills have to be paid by someone though.

Personally I think this is highlighting the house of cards the AFL is built on. Their model appears to not be sustainable and their actions so far have shown that it seems to be all about the money for everyone involved.

It's just a job, we're just an income stream.

Everything else is window dressing just like any business that talks about work life balance and valuing their employees as people.

This is going to hit everyone's hip pocket in one shape or another

I was told the AFL have a 630 million war chest for circumstances like this. Let’s hope that money is put to smart use.

I was told the AFL have a 630 million war chest for circumstances like this. Let’s hope that money is put to smart use.
Salary cap for all 18 clubs worth about $220mil this year.

The economy is out of control. Massive drops... 1929 disaster... mania like we’ve never seen on a global scale and the AFL is still contemplating a football season. It’s stupidity of the highest order.

There must be a complete moratorium on all utilities, mortgage repayments etc until this virus is completely cleared.

Australia needs to work together to fight this. Corporate greed can get ****ed. Everything must stop immediately and until the medicos give the all clear on a national scale only then can the machines be turned back on (trading places lol).

How ****ed is capitalism on steroids. Such a flimsy flimsy system. The system needs a complete overhaul starting immediately. The AFL must bite the bullet and all corporate partners who are responsible for the wealth and income inequality experienced by all can take the loss and be silent.

Our society needs to wake up!

KOLOKOTRONIS

The economy is out of control. Massive drops... 1929 disaster... mania like we’ve never seen on a global scale and the AFL is still contemplating a football season. It’s stupidity of the highest order.

There must be a complete moratorium on all utilities, mortgage repayments etc until this virus is completely cleared.

Australia needs to work together to fight this. Corporate greed can get f’ed. Everything must stop immediately and until the medicos give the all clear on a national scale only then can the machines be turned back on (trading places lol).

How f’ed is capitalism on steroids. Such a flimsy flimsy system. The system needs a complete overhaul starting immediately. The AFL must bite the bullet and all corporate partners who are responsible for the wealth and income inequality experienced by all can take the loss and be silent.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Coles as the major sponsor this year can promote their empty shelves during the ad breaks perhaps.

down down the shelves are down!!!!

Australia needs to work together to fight this. Corporate greed can get f’ed. Everything must stop immediately and until the medicos give the all clear on a national scale only then can the machines be turned back on (trading places lol).

How f’ed is capitalism on steroids. Such a flimsy flimsy system. The system needs a complete overhaul starting immediately. The AFL must bite the bullet and all corporate partners who are responsible for the wealth and income inequality experienced by all can take the loss and be silent.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Unfortunately, I think that Canberra is being influenced by the same moronic ideas that you are. Oh, well, fingers crossed that more rational heads prevail.

If I was on the average 270k, a 50k hit wouldn't hurt (unless I'm an idiot with a 5mil mortgage).
Even a rookie listed player is currently on 90k, so a 20% hit still gives you a fair bit to live on

I wonder if the nature of player contracts will change as a result of this pandemic. 20/20 hindsight suggests there should be clauses in contacts that payment of contracts in full are subject to the AFL season actually occurring. We have become so complacent, me included, that we have forgotten about things like wars, disease and disasters. I don’t accept the argument suggesting its reasonable for players to fight receiving a pay cut - everyone in private industry has jobs that are on the line right now and contingent on cash flow, profit and operating costs. The AFL business model is under sever strain. The players are kidding themselves if they think they won’t take a substantial hit.

'It's not looking good': AFL prepares for round one call

AFL Players' Association boss Paul Marsh has conceded it's "hard to see" how round one of the season can proceed from Thursday night following Prime Minister Scott Morrison's address to the nation.

Morrison has stepped up measures to slow the spread of coronavirus, banning non-essential indoor gatherings of more than 100 people and changing the official travel advice to "do not travel".

The AFL is preparing to make a decision on whether to kick off a curtailed 17-round season this weekend, and Marsh said on Wednesday morning round one was now in serious doubt.

"It's all pretty sobering, isn't it," Marsh said on SEN. "It's hard to see.

"I don't want to jump off but it doesn't look good, does it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back