Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don’t want to see Sharman play in the backline, natural forward. That’s pretty much it
Said that’s it, but I’ll also say complaining about the ground is a cop out. The dimensions are the dimensions, had plenty of chance to prepare and execute for that ground. Didn’t get it done. It’s a unique ground but that’s footy.

In the end the outs for us were significant and a couple of players were underdone. Temper trap on Thursday couldn’t be keener to see the boys run around again and hopefully put Collingwood 0-3. Wouldn’t that be cathartic.

Disappointed? Of course; every loss brings a level of disappointment.

People were far too quick to write off Geelong simply because of their aging list. But that list won a flag a year and a half ago and were flag favourites again 12 months ago. They have virtually no injuries meaning all their players have completed their respective pre seasons.

On the other hand we’ve been hit with injuries and suspensions in recent weeks. We have players missing and others who are underdone.

We didn’t play particularly well and we have several players, both experienced and not, who went missing for large parts of the game. But we hung in there til the end and could’ve won with a bit of luck or a bit more poise.

Ultimately we failed to get the points against a hardened team of professionals playing on an oval that offers a considerable home ground advantage.

Yep, disappointed to lose. However I remind myself that we are still early days in this new RTB program and we are on a sharp learning curve. We are still accumulating talent and bedding down the game plan.

And quite simply, some times you have to lose to learn lessons that will help you once you get to the stage of being a contender.

On to next week.

Any word on Stocker? It didn't look good on the field but he was walking around at the end.

My first thought was right in the kidney with how he immediately reached and reacted, I've had a cricket ball thrown in that vicinity, it's not exactly a pleasant feeling to be struck in that region. But yeah I doubt he has scans or such unless it massively bruises, likely just a "really painful initial = tender later" sort of impact.

We have good runners, and we have a game plan based on run. I don't see any mismatch there. Some skills and composure would be good, but it's round 1 and some good players are out or underdone.
Our defence is crap. Geelong had 26 scoring opportunities against us.
We continually turned the ball over to Geelong kicking out of our defence.
We converted 9 out of our 23 scoring opportunities.
Yes it's round 1, but geez :(

Midfield lacking. No change there.
Poor disposals. Don't know how often this is said.
Can't fault effort. But gee effort can only get you so far in the game.

Can't blame the ground or the umps. We've had months knowing where Rd 1 was going to be. We've known for a while the general make-up of our team based on injuries.

Disappointed in King in that last quarter. Some real selfish look at me plays. First when Collard had the pace to get the easy shot on goal. And Collard again when King decided to take the advantage that was never there.

To be honest the scoreboard flattered us.

King?!

Fantastic tonight.

Well yes, but two huge brain fades in that last quarter that could well have cost us the game.

Launching at goal from too far out when he had the more certain option of kicking to the running Collard to gather was just rubbish.

It summed up our game tonight, we just had too many players making very silly decisions at times. Plus the Richo Roost was back in town bigtime. Poor decision making was the main reason why we lost, though there were others.

It must have been a directive to play on at every oppurtunity, because that's the only way to explain why we took shocking advantages and wasted crucial free kicks.

Cooper Sharman ducked his head and actively moved away from incoming players multiple times when he was down back, droppable performance.

Probably Owens worst game of his career. He still took some great marks but his kicking was not up to standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never seen it with Higgins.
He is a liability as a pressure forward, simply not quick or fit enough. At the very minimum butler will give you that.
So that must mean he is a dead eye crafty small forward, well no, he is quite the opposite. He sprays so many chances, and ruins our momentum.
So what is his actual role in the team?
As soon as butts is fit to play; he has to come in for Higgins. Pump some games into collard, Wilson and Garcia as the other small forwards, because unfortunately Higgins just ain’t it.

He was highly rated as a junior because everyone was smaller, slower and less skilled. I do like him but he's not someone that is going to "peak" because he's got the athletic ability of a local amateur, including kicking distance. He does work hard to get himself to good spots and has a good football sense, but he needs to finish his chances and he remains inconsistent at that.

Had a dinner so just finishing the second half now.

Very average coaching having Sharman down back. He goes down forward and kicks a goal instantly. Strange move from Ross.

Henry will play some very good football for us. His touch is so good.

Very rusty in skills and decision making, but we have a fantastic core. Can’t wait to see Dow get a go through the middle.

As others have said, swap Pou and Owens.

Bonner will make a very good trio with Nas and Sincs.

Wilson will be a star.

Lastly, some deeply embarrassing dummy spits in here - harden up you lot.

Higgins is very much a concern with his inability to defend, and finish.
Starting to really dislike him. Absolutely rubbish infront of goal and does hardly anything outside of that.

Geelong wanted the ball more, and worked harder at ground level. The midfield needs to lift its intensity, just kept allowing Geelong players to get between them and the ball, and put far too much pressure on the backline- same as last season. Very disappointed at the amount of forward entries Geelong had in the first quarter, and Lyon had to flood the backline early in the game- panic coaching.

A real lack of second efforts last night, though Wilson and Henry are a bonus, but Lyon needs to do some serious thinking this week no doubt..

Danger arrives late knee's Stocker right in the lower back which ends the game for Stocker. Yet amazingly Danger gets a free kick, an absolutely ludicrous decision.

What would be the penalty if Jimmy Webster had done what Dangerfield did?
JWeb certainly would NOT have gotten a ****ing free kick for it.

Positives.
Despite the chat on here- gameplan stacks up- everything was working against it and we were still in the game.

Cordy- plays an old school reliable key defenders game.

Henry- exactly the sort of player we needed.

Wilson- debut game and had an impact

Membrey Steele and Marshall- both look back to their best.

Negatives
Higgins- misses important goals, inconsistent defensively and the umpires hate him.

Crouch- looked well underdone

Owens- no longer surprising opposition. Playing on Stewart a good learning experience

Next week
In: Sinclair and Collard
Out: Stocker and Higgins
Sub: Garcia

I don't understand the hate for Sharman's move down back in the 2nd half - he was a perfect matchup for Dempsey and curtailed his impact.

We just bottled some big moments, and the Cats nailed theirs. The class of their guns (Danger's goal, Cameron, Holmes etc) was the difference.

Geelong wanted the ball more, and worked harder at ground level. The midfield needs to lift its intensity, just kept allowing Geelong players to get between them and the ball, and put far too much pressure on the backline- same as last season. Very disappointed at the amount of forward entries Geelong had in the first quarter, and Lyon had to flood the backline early in the game- panic coaching.

A real lack of second efforts last night, though Wilson and Henry are a bonus, but Lyon needs to do some serious thinking this week no doubt..
Thought the same thing and then checked the stats we had more clearences than them overall but it seemed like their's were alot more damaging. Lyon even mentioned it in the presser saying we were trying to be to cute.higgins not the answer up forward either we couldn't lock the ball in there and get repeat entries which hurt us.

Danger arrives late knee's Stocker right in the lower back which ends the game for Stocker. Yet amazingly Danger gets a free kick, an absolutely ludicrous decision.

What would be the penalty if Jimmy Webster had done what Dangerfield did?
JWeb certainly would NOT have gotten a ******* free kick for it.
Said it a million times, we're a glorified bush league. We act like the attention starved little brother of the NFL. Our umpiring and score review system are two of the most amateurish things I've seen in world sport.

Cooper Sharman ducked his head and actively moved away from incoming players multiple times when he was down back, droppable performance.

Did Cooper start in the forward line and get moved to the backline...again?

Unfortunately he's a one trick pony and lack of agility, defensive side and aggression and attack at the ball has always been really poor. Delivers some flashy mark and kick stuff every 20 games and and the echo chamber roll out the natural forward and natural running pattern lines.

Our structural weakness is a mobile big bodied forward/Ruck and I expect when Hayes is fit he will come straight in.

Said over the pre season but if Members returns to his best then Copper and Cammers will struggle to get into the side in 2024, especially if Hayes is in the side.

I still don't trust King either, when is the boy going to get some presence about him. "He's still only young" can't be applied anymore.

Forward line is still a work in progress

I was glad when King hit up Wilson for his first Goal. Prior to that, big Max was showing zero footy IQ

I'm determined to just chill until we're into the season. Losing is an empty feeling but we move on.

Agree that the umpiring was horrendous. It's beyond a joke.

Did Cooper start in the forward line and get moved to the backline...again?

Unfortunately he's a one trick pony and lack of agility, defensive side and aggression and attack at the ball has always been really poor. Delivers some flashy mark and kick stuff every 20 games and and the echo chamber roll out the natural forward and natural running pattern lines.

Our structural weakness is a mobile big bodied forward/Ruck and I expect when Hayes is fit he will come straight in.

Said over the pre season but if Members returns to his best then Copper and Cammers will struggle to get into the side in 2024, especially if Hayes is in the side.

I still don't trust King either, when is the boy going to get some presence about him. "He's still only young" can't be applied anymore.

Forward line is still a work in progress

Sharman doesn't light up the world for a game and old LoserMcLoserFace is ready to pounce.

Yawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back