Round 1.5 Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% but you could say the same about Mitchell, McVeigh, Hibberd, Hanley, Walker.

Or SThompson, Birchall, Simpson, Enright, Hurn, Malceski, Adcock, Shaw etc. :cool:

He's an absolute jet and an endurance machine who has done his apprenticeship and is finally fully fit. He can easily average 100+

Optimistic you lot.

If you said 90-95, that may be achievable with the natural progression of GC as a team. Mind you, Bennell is a jet - he is yet to average 100. Prestia was impressive last year - yet to average 100. JOM is a beast.

Players around similar experience to Swallow; S.Hill, Hartlett, Rich, Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac, Zaharakis, Heppell, Gaff - all have yet to average 100+.

If you initially picked DSwallow, sure 1st game is something to get excited about. But if you are have been playing this game (supercoach) for a while, you will understand 'real' guns average 100+. For me, this is not Swallow's year to do it.

I've never had Swallow in consideration for the entire preseason, so this is not one of those jelly hating posts. If you have him, great start. I look forward to where Swallow is at come Byes.

Optimistic you lot.

If you said 90-95, that may be achievable with the natural progression of GC as a team. Mind you, Bennell is a jet - he is yet to average 100. Prestia was impressive last year - yet to average 100. JOM is a beast.

Players around similar experience to Swallow; S.Hill, Hartlett, Rich, Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac, Zaharakis, Heppell, Gaff - all have yet to average 100+.

If you initially picked DSwallow, sure 1st game is something to get excited about. But if you are have been playing this game (supercoach) for a while, you will understand 'real' guns average 100+. For me, this is not Swallow's year to do it.

I've never had Swallow in consideration for the entire preseason, so this is not one of those jelly hating posts. If you have him, great start. I look forward to where Swallow is at come Byes.

Not many of those you named playing as defenders though.

Not many of those you named playing as defenders though.

I think you are again missing the point.

Regardless of where Swallow is listed on SC (DEF) - those players have shown more to date, but are yet to crack the ton. If someone said Ziebell is to breakout 100+, I would agree. You can't judge on one game and predict they are going to go premium status 100+. This is after all "Round 1.5 trades" and it looks like (I'm only assuming) that alot of people have itchy fingers to bring in Swallow.

At $429k, he does look like he'll have +10pt increase in average. Yes, he may be a value pick in DEF - but I've chosen my value picks elsewhere.

I think you are again missing the point.

Regardless of where Swallow is listed on SC (DEF) - those players have shown more to date, but are yet to crack the ton. If someone said Ziebell is to breakout 100+, I would agree. You can't judge on one game and predict they are going to go premium status 100+. This is after all "Round 1.5 trades" and it looks like (I'm only assuming) that alot of people have itchy fingers to bring in Swallow.

At $429k, he does look like he'll have +10pt increase in average. Yes, he may be a value pick in DEF - but I've chosen my value picks elsewhere.

I don't disagree with a lot of that. Especially about those trying to rush him in now. I won't be changing my structures now just because a player has a good, bad or great game.

But the fact is he's a value pick with a big, big upside if he gets going. Quite possibly a keeper and there is not a lot of underpriced defenders going around.

Optimistic you lot.

All of those guys have had much more midfield experience than Swallow. Rich for example has been pretty much a midfielder all his career (Swallow has been played all over the place). People were so bullish on Swallow preseason because they feel this is his year to become a pure mid. FWIW I had planned for 95ish avg when I chose him, but would not be at all surprised to see him go higher.

Optimistic you lot.

Can't be bothered looking (lols) but i am pretty sure none of those players are listed as defenders in SC this year.

Swallow's progression will be slow this year but i think the key point is - progression - and if he can stay injury free there is no reason he cannot be a top 8 or even better defender option on SC. He definitely has the tools - elite endurance, licence to go into the midfield, goal kicker, 6'2" ish and a good size, good tackler - my only real beef with him is his skills can sometimes let him down.

Definitely way to early to tell - i only had him flagged to hold onto for the bye rounds and then to upgrade so just have to see how it plays out.

All of those guys have had much more midfield experience than Swallow. Rich for example has been pretty much a midfielder all his career (Swallow has been played all over the place). People were so bullish on Swallow preseason because they feel this is his year to become a pure mid. FWIW I had planned for 95ish avg when I chose him, but would not be at all surprised to see him go higher.

Yes, these players have had more midfield experience and have shown it's not as simple as getting more midfield time = 100+. Heppell started in defence, and had more midfield time last year (similar situation to Swallow?)

If you said 95ish average, I wouldn't have an issue - but I'm just trying to put some perspective on those who claim 100+ including yourself.

He's an absolute jet and an endurance machine who has done his apprenticeship and is finally fully fit. He can easily average 100+

Can't be bothered looking (lols) but i am pretty sure none of those players are listed as defenders in SC this year.

Swallow's progression will be slow this year but i think the key point is - progression - and if he can stay injury free there is no reason he cannot be a top 8 or even better defender option on SC. He definitely has the tools - elite endurance, licence to go into the midfield, goal kicker, 6'2" ish and a good size, good tackler - my only real beef with him is his skills can sometimes let him down.

Definitely way to early to tell - i only had him flagged to hold onto for the bye rounds and then to upgrade so just have to see how it plays out.

Read post #105

I don't understand this. If you initially picked Swallow, and believe he can be a Top 8 (D6 Keeper) - what is the purpose of trading him out?

I'm over Swallow talk. It's like I'm repeating myself every time I get quoted.

Interesting discussion on Swallow. I posted this on another forum which was in response to Swallow not being a justifiable pick after one game. Interested to hear your thoughts if you can manage to get through the big wall of text lol

Too add some further perspective
tongue.png

Andrew Walker (423k) - career average of around 80 scored 137 and 70 (3 goals in 1st qtr then headclash) to start the year and went on to average 106 for the year.
Will Minson ($508k) - career average of around 80, scored 126 and 143 to start the year and went on to average 114 for the year.

Both players were in at least half of the top 10 pretty much throughout the second half of the year, and i dare say were very prominent with the early bolters as well. Dimma also ended up with both in his team (as upgrades at full price).

These were two names that quickly came to mind that did not really have any statistical support except an obvious change in role but had you bought them in for a premium that flopped, you would've been well ahead. I'm not suggesting that because these two players did become the top averaging players in their position that Swallow will too but just illustrating that it does happen. I'm also not suggesting that any premium who underwhelms in round 1 will continue to flop but again, it does happen (Pav averaged 70 odd early).

Danger and Beams I have no doubt were prominent in the top 1000 the year before. I just haven't bothered to look but had you just dismissed them, you would've fallen well behind the pack and probably never have been able to get them at all. Like me!

Stats are funny things. Yes for the most part they are a good indicator of what can happen but basing your decisions on historical data only, will cripple your team. Alot of people saw Swallow's game, as did I and the general consensus has been either 'played plenty of time in the midfield, looked fantastic, gotta get him in' or 'got the bonus points but won't get that every week, not a good pick'. Fair enough, as one game does not make a season but had those early misses been goals (from the midfield) he'd have been possibly in the 150s or 160s and it could be a preview in what owners can expect for the year to come. The midfield time that has been rumoured, not 160s that is.

Not that anyone needs reminding but don't forget Swallow was a number 1 draft pick as a midfielder, beasted the VFL as a kid and regarded as one of the best ready made juniors when drafted. He was always going to break out, it was just a matter of when.

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is while there will always be Birchalls of yesteryear there will also be Minson/Walker/Danger/Beams as well. Now I know it would be easy to pick my post apart and find x amount of stats as to why Swallow is not a justifiable pick, fair enough and personally, I will be holding McVeigh 100% but if Swallow scores well again, I will be definitely looking into ways to get him in.

I told myself I wouldn't trade, but:

OUT: P Hanley, X Ellis, T Hawkins
IN: A Georgiou, J Watson, J Caddy

Leaves me with two playing rookies in the backs, and four premiums in the mids.

I would do this, if you believe you have two def rookies that will play every game til Byes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read post #105

I don't understand this. If you initially picked Swallow, and believe he can be a Top 8 (D6 Keeper) - what is the purpose of trading him out?

I'm over Swallow talk. It's like I'm repeating myself every time I get quoted.

Read my post r e t a r d - "Definitely way to early to tell - i only had him flagged to hold onto for the bye rounds and then to upgrade so just have to see how it plays out."

Obviously if he shows consistency i keep him

Thoughts on Buddy? Seriously considering turfing this guy already.
I just don't seem to learn. A: He's gonna miss games B: he gives away more frees than anyone.
Really think you should consider trading GAJ for Treloar who scored much better. :rolleyes:

Good trades IMO.

Interesting discussion on Swallow. I posted this on another forum which was in response to Swallow not being a justifiable pick after one game. Interested to hear your thoughts if you can manage to get through the big wall of text lol

tongue.png

Andrew Walker (423k) - career average of around 80 scored 137 and 70 (3 goals in 1st qtr then headclash) to start the year and went on to average 106 for the year.
Will Minson ($508k) - career average of around 80, scored 126 and 143 to start the year and went on to average 114 for the year.

Both players were in at least half of the top 10 pretty much throughout the second half of the year, and i dare say were very prominent with the early bolters as well. Dimma also ended up with both in his team (as upgrades at full price).

These were two names that quickly came to mind that did not really have any statistical support except an obvious change in role but had you bought them in for a premium that flopped, you would've been well ahead. I'm not suggesting that because these two players did become the top averaging players in their position that Swallow will too but just illustrating that it does happen. I'm also not suggesting that any premium who underwhelms in round 1 will continue to flop but again, it does happen (Pav averaged 70 odd early).

Danger and Beams I have no doubt were prominent in the top 1000 the year before. I just haven't bothered to look but had you just dismissed them, you would've fallen well behind the pack and probably never have been able to get them at all. Like me!

Stats are funny things. Yes for the most part they are a good indicator of what can happen but basing your decisions on historical data only, will cripple your team. Alot of people saw Swallow's game, as did I and the general consensus has been either 'played plenty of time in the midfield, looked fantastic, gotta get him in' or 'got the bonus points but won't get that every week, not a good pick'. Fair enough, as one game does not make a season but had those early misses been goals (from the midfield) he'd have been possibly in the 150s or 160s and it could be a preview in what owners can expect for the year to come. The midfield time that has been rumoured, not 160s that is.

Not that anyone needs reminding but don't forget Swallow was a number 1 draft pick as a midfielder, beasted the VFL as a kid and regarded as one of the best ready made juniors when drafted. He was always going to break out, it was just a matter of when.

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is while there will always be Birchalls of yesteryear there will also be Minson/Walker/Danger/Beams as well. Now I know it would be easy to pick my post apart and find x amount of stats as to why Swallow is not a justifiable pick, fair enough and personally, I will be holding McVeigh 100% but if Swallow scores well again, I will be definitely looking into ways to get him in.
An excellent post mate, thanks :thumbsu:

I'm with you. TBH I never really liked McVeigh, but he just fit nicely in to my team and there wasn't anyone else I was mad on at that 100+ avg range (already have Hibberd and Mitchell). I'll wait and see what happens in Round 2, but I wouldn't be against swapping McVeigh to Swallow and banking 150k. Would make upgrades much easier down the track.

An excellent post mate, thanks :thumbsu:

I'm with you. TBH I never really liked McVeigh, but he just fit nicely in to my team and there wasn't anyone else I was mad on at that 100+ avg range (already have Hibberd and Mitchell). I'll wait and see what happens in Round 2, but I wouldn't be against swapping McVeigh to Swallow and banking 150k. Would make upgrades much easier down the track.
Yeah it definitely would. It probably goes against some of the golden SC rules but 150k is a very handy amount and could potentially change a failed mid pricer like Caddy/Higgo to a proven premium. I'm hoping I don't have to make that decision and Swallow comes back down to earth against a savage Freo but if he scores well again, i'll definitely be trying to find a way.

After a reasonable start to the season so far Id love to get some advice or opinions on my team thus far and how I can improve with trades this week:

BACK: McVeigh, Mitchell, S.Thompson, Webster, McDonald, Langdon (Langford, Fuller)
(Yes i did have the E on Langdon and brought in Fuller to gain the 111)

MID: Ablett, Pendles, Griffen, Murphy, Beams, Tyson, Polec, Ellis (Dunstan, Crouch)
(Waiting on news about Griffen, but considering Watson or Libba??)

RUCK: Minson, Sandilands (Currie, Thurlow)
(Chose Minson over Goldy as not confident with Brad Scott's ruck strategy this year)

FORWARD: Danger, Roughead, Mitchell, Caddy, Higgens, McDonough (Kennedy-Harris, Impey)

Any help is appreciative! :thumbsu::)

tongue.png

The key to Swallow is, he needs to improve his DT average (has a good DT:SC ratio 1.14). If he sits around 90+ DT, he would be a good chance of 95-100ave. Round 1 was a taste of what Swallow is capable of in 2014, but I (or we) would like to see how Swallow goes when Bennell is back in the team (I dont even know why Bennell wasn't even named Emergency when he's not on the injury list). Optimism is fine, but I'm more reserved on a 100+ average. Mind you, Swallow 90-95average would definitely put you in a good position if he was in your initial squad.

Yes for every Walker/Minson, there's a Westhoff (or a Birchall). Getting on them early would almost be a 'checkmate' move - but can also completely de-rail your season. In saying that, Dimma was probably 'buyers beware' (I was) with Walker/Minson early, so it's not the end of the world if you had later brought them in to see their true capabilities.

You pick your initial premiums for a reason. Sure, some may underperform early and a corrective trade could prove advantageous, but at times could disadvantage the team ie. Jay trading out Dangerfield to correct another line (or sideways mid premium, I cant remember). In saying that, if i was in a position where McVeigh goes average and Swallow guns after two games - I would most likely make this trade. This however will not change my view that Swallow will go on to average 100+ at that time, but could change around the midway mark.

After a reasonable start to the season so far Id love to get some advice or opinions on my team thus far and how I can improve with trades this week:

BACK: McVeigh, Mitchell, S.Thompson, Webster, McDonald, Langdon (Langford, Fuller)

MID: Ablett, Pendles, Griffen, Murphy, Beams, Tyson, Polec, Ellis (Dunstan, Crouch)

(Chose Minson over Goldy as not confident with Brad Scott's ruck strategy this year)

FORWARD: Danger, Roughead, Mitchell, Caddy, Higgens, McDonough (Kennedy-Harris, Impey)

I stopped reading at "(Yes i did have the E on Langdon and brought in Fuller to gain the 111)"

Griffen is not going to play, going to Subiaco underdone would be stupid. Minson may not play, there's a back injury rumour going around and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, he's had troubles with his back over the preseason.

i would do hanley ellis caddy if that works which i think it will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back