Autopsy Round 1: Carlton V Richmond @ MCG - Thursday 7.20pm, 02/04/15

Who were your top 5 players for the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that watched the Malthouse press conference, how weird did it feel when he said "they're a top 8 side", "They're a quality team Richmond".

Just felt weird, but weird in a good way. Usually everyone in the media just wants to bag us and bring us down.

Yeah I thought Mick was pretty good.
Liked how he mentioned a couple of times.... 2or 3 years time.... He won't be there:D

Would think either Lambert or Conca for Lids.
Think Grimes will make way for Stinger.(Not that i think Grimes was much better)

Grimes started really poorly. A kick out on the full and a dropped mark that led to a goal. He got better. Thought Batch was solid, good link man and seemed good under pressure. Miles also had zero possessions at quarter time. Those non-stars were the key early, keeping us innit. The depth through the midfield is great, and obviously also allows Cotch, Dusty, Shed and Deledio to impact upforward.

Last edited:

Umpires can suck a bag of dicks. Great that Carlton never were able to lower the difference in the last to under three goals and hopefully belief to not crumble under pressure maintains.

I thought the umps were OK. Didn't really notice em, which is always good. Griff's free in the last quarter (running back, then goaled) was pretty soft :)

I love the way Channel 7 built up their reporter (was it Mark Stevens?) as 'Mick's Opponent' and he asked the 3 most inane, embarassing questions in the whole press conference.

Mick was actually good value. Basically, what he said boiled down to 'Richmond were a better side than us last year, and we haven't closed the gap yet'.

Yeah I agree on Stevens. Why not ask a question that was just asked to get a reaction. Poor TV really. Only crap journalist and Producers need to manufacture something.

I thought the umps were OK. Didn't really notice em, which is always good. Griff's free in the last quarter (running back, then goaled) was pretty soft :)

The non free kick to grimes early was deplorable and gave them momentum, along with the non holding the ball against Curnow in our forward 50 after an almost identical one was paid against Chaplin to them. You stop noticing the umpires when we were winning because they started to square up the game.

Loved Maric's 3rd Quarter. He was so influential.

Shane Edwards must be right up there in the list of 'Players Who Have The Most Valuable Possessions'. So many of his clearances are so quick, but bust the game wide open. He's been our secret weapon for a few years now - Mick gave it away in his press conference.

And Griffiths - I thought his ruck work was better than anything Vickery has shown. Now if he just kicked a goal or two............................

And I'll just say - Chris Judd is just about my favorite non-Richmond player ever. When he touches the ball, good things happen for his team. Be honest, in the last half, the only time Carlton ever really looked dangerous was when Judd made one of his busts. Absolute freak - I can probably run faster and kick longer than him now - but he's a champ.

Vlastuin was very good tonight. He has improved again with another preseason it seems
I thought he was pivotal for getting us going in second quarter as he showed the required desperation at a time when others were second guessing themselves. Real leadership

Good solid win. Actually hammered them after they got 23 points up; 50 point turn around in fact. Kicked 7 in a row at one stage.

Good start to the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:
- McIntosh on debut was stunning. So influential was he that Carlton resorted to putting their best tagger on him for a while to slow him down.
- Winning despite Cotchin Deledio Martin & Miles all being relatively quiet. For years we have all said that we need to find the ability to win games without having the first 3 in particular carry the load. Well tonight we got just that. McIntosh Ellis Grigg Vlastuin Edwards Houli & Hunt were all important players for us and it was them who dragged us back into the game rather than the stars. The key now is for that to happen when we're playing a better quality opponent instead of a bottom dweller.
- Forward structure was much better. I know Hardwick wants to play the 3 talls and I also want to see it happen and succeed, but on tonights performance the 2 talls with a bunch of medium/small players rotating through sure gives us a lot of punch. What I enjoyed tonight more than anything was seeing Jack covering the ground so easily and running Jamison into the ground. This meant that we could push Griff deep and let him be a threat down there. Lloyd and Morris were great with their attack on the ball as well as the opposition and there was hardly and easy rebound from 50 for the whole night. Morris might not have kicked 3-4 like the other 3 but he did contribute to at least 5-6 goals through his harrassment of the opposition.

Negatives:
- Poor start. Like everyone else I was frustrated as hell with our first quarter. Against a better quality opponent who takes their chances I'm not sure we are able to recover from a 4 goal deficit so easily. This was a problem last year and we need to find a solution quickly to ensure that we're on the ball from the first bounce not the second quarter.
- Chaplin worries me greatly when he is made to be accountable deep. He just lacks awareness and urgency at times like Rance does and good teams will make us pay. Having said that the return of Astbury should help that problem as Chappy wouldn't be forced deep 1-1 with both Rance and Astbury in the side. Still it's a worry if Astbury can't force his way back into the side.

Best 5:
5. McIntosh
4. Hunt
3. Vlastuin
2. Riewoldt
1. Rance

Changes:

NONE

Last edited:
Duds. Delist.
Lids was clearly injured. I kept wondering why he was going for these dinky little passes to players 16m away, but it made more sense when he was subbed. He's gonna be suspended anyway, so time to show off our midfield depth.
Cotch had some good touches, but wore a pretty close tag. Carlton played three taggers the whole game, but Ellis shook his off pretty well.
Dusty was just genuinely quiet (apologies to my mate who put hin in his Supercoach team on my recommendation). But how good is it to win without them needing to step up?!

I joined this site about 5years ago. In that time every pre season I've had the displeasure of discussing the upcoming game with numerous Carlton flogs who took great pleasure in rubbing my face in our hideous history and (at the time) hideous present.

I'd like to dedicate this win to the sentence "**** you you campaigners, I hope you live in shit for decades to come".

For the rare Carlton supporter who is not a complete tosser, this is not aimed at you.

I know, i'm just kidding.

Clearly Lids was subbed to spare him making something worse. Cotch was tagged and utterly mugged a few times with no reward from the umpires. Dusty made his presence known on a few occasions, but that was it. You can't tear it up every week, and to be honest - our midfield can struggle when a solid tag is applied :)

SO yep, great to get up and see the other players have a huge impact.

Shame about Newman though, I doubt he'll see the season out.

Well done everyone.
Cheers.

I was fully expecting Carlton to overrun us in the 4th, but whether it was a greater maturity from our players or a lack of fringe players like McClean and Duigan on the side of the Blues, we almost coasted in the last.
I feel immensely proud of McIntosh tonight. A young WA player with everything to lose sent to play on Judd and, in my humble opinion, getting the better of him 3/4 of the time was a massive thing. How's his bonce? Love him.
Vlastuin, Hunt, Lloyd did really well. My boy Griff held his spot, no worries.
Well done tiges. Bring on the doggies.

Forgot to mention Jack somehow..
Absolute legend and had me almost crying into my ale at the end there.
My son started footy training with the number 8 on his back tonight and I was proud to watch that post game interview with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1: Carlton V Richmond @ MCG - Thursday 7.20pm, 02/04/15

Back