Trojan82

All Australian
Aug 5, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle FC, Juventus
I'd be interested to hear what you all thought we'd look like lining up Round 1 next year. We have a few notable INS but do they really slot straight in to the premiership side?

Does Tarrant really get a game ahead of Brown or Reid? Or does he take someone else's position? Goldsack?

Does Krakouer get a game? For Blair?

What about Brad Dick is he in our best 22 when fit?

What about Leon Davis?

It probably depends on the opposition.

What is our 22 going to look like? Maybe the new substitute rule spells the end for The Anvil? Tarrant takes his place but then Jolly doesn't get a break.

Too many questions!

From the premiership 22 (presuming everyone is fit):

In: Krakouer, Tarrant
Out: Blair, Goldsack

FF: Brent Macaffer - Chris Dawes - Steele Sidebottom

HF: Andrew Krakouer - Travis Cloke - Alan Didak

C: Dale Thomas - Scott Pendlebury - Sharrod Wellingham

HB: Nick Maxwell - Ben Reid - Heath Shaw

FB: Alan Toovey - Nathan Brown - Harry O'Brien

Foll: Darren Jolly - Luke Ball - Dane Swan

Int: Dayne Beams - Leigh Brown - Ben Johnson

Sub: Chris Tarrant

Emg: Cameron Wood - Leon Davis - Tyson Goldsack

Looks about right to me. Incredibly strong 22.

Do NOT get in the way of that team if they come out to play or someone's gonna get hurt!

VVs got it spot on for mine.

It's harsh on Blairy and the Sack but Tarrant and Krakouer weren't recruited to sit outside of our best 22. Having said that, we know anything can happen- just look at Tarks, Fraser, O'Bree and even Davis towards the end. Those in form will play.

It's an exciting but also an indifferent time to be a Collingwood player when you look at how strong our best 22 is with some of the names that unfortunately will miss out. Couldn't be a better time to be a supporter though.

Centres, half forwards and followers have the capacity to tear any side apart in a half of football. If this side hits its straps and has a decent run with injuries we are going to rip a few sides several new arseholes and maybe not all cellar dwellers.

Around 10 players in that team who kicked 20+ goals last year. Every key position covered. Effective new recruits.

Anyone who says we don't have the best list in the AFL is kidding themselves. That is one of the most complete teams I can remember .

Tarrant won't be the sub.

1 because he's better than that and 2 because unless things are going pearshaped and our key position players aren't performing he won't be used giving us no advantage from having a substitute. Tarrant is a star and we want to be using him. Our team is adaptable enough with plenty of multi-positional players already in the side. We can reshape the team regardless of the substitute position meaning that we should use a runner as the sub. It can be a weapon that way. If Davis can get fit I think he'd be the perfect subsitute player because he can come on for a quarter and a half on a wing/half-forward and with his goal-kicking and passing could be devastating against tired players. Otherwise one of our quick young draftees could be a good option as they all have serious pace and seem to have goal-sense. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tarrant, N Brown, Toovey
Maxwell
Shaw, Reid, O'Brien
Thomas, Pendlebury, Didak
Krakouer, Cloke, Beams
Dawes, Dick

FOLL: Jolly, Swan, Wellingham
INT: L Brown, Ball, Sidebottom
SUB: Davis / Fasolo / Johnson

I've made the team look like this because it's a more realistic representation of the way we line up. We always play with an extra man behind the ball. Having Tarrant in the team means Reid will not always have an opponent and we can exploit his bullet-like passes out of defence. Also, MM is on record as saying Toovey will be used more up the ground next season so having an extra player who can defend smalls will help.

Yep VV has got it spot on for mine

On our team I doubt we'll more then a core of 10 players that play all 22 home and away games, and another 10-15 that play 15 to 20. Much likethis year

We always play with an extra man behind the ball.

This isn't really true. Maxwell often looks like a spare man because he's so bloody good at coming across and helping, but he still plays on an opponent. We only had a true spare man maybe 2-3 times this year from what I can remember. Structurally, our zone is a pretty standard 3-3-3-3-3-3

What I'd like to see:

F: Leigh Brown Chris Dawes Brent Macaffer
HF: Andrew Krakouer Travis Cloke Alan Didak
CEN: Dale Thomas Luke Ball Sharrod Wellingham
HB: Harry O'Brien Ben Reid Heath Shaw
B: Nick Maxwell Nathan Brown Alan Toovey
FOLL: Darren Jolly Scott Pendlebury Dane Swan
BENCH: Dayne Beams Steele Sidebottom Chris Tarrant
22nd man: Tyson Goldsack
EMG: Brad Dick Ben Johnson Jarryd Blair
Other notables who deserve games: Leon Davis Josh Thomas John McCarthy Cameron Wood

Notes:

Krakouer while I would start him on a forward flank I would look to inject into the midfield possibly at the 5 minute mark/ around about when the 1st goal is scored. I view him primarily as a midfielder and he should be a beast inside.

Don't read anything into Beams and Sidebottom being on the bench. I think they are an ideal 2nd unit to inject into the midfield when Ball/Pendlebury/Swan need a breather.

Dick when fit to fit into a forward pocket assumed he doesn't get injured, but for now have him just outside of our best 21 since he really can't be relied on based on his injury history.

For the 22nd man/ sub I'm electing to go with Goldsack for his versatility. I think he will be able to inject some energy into the game and his ability to play either end and a range of different sizes really appeals to me.

Johnson and Blair are both unlucky and are still around mark, but just don't see a position for them inside our side because there are just a couple of players I rate just ahead of them which just shows the quality of our best 25/26.

Leon Davis if he continues to have a strong preseason I think might also be around the mark and could be handy possibly even as a 22nd man to inject some energy into the midfield. Would only consider him as a midfielder and he will really need to work hard on his endurance if he is to break back into this side.

Josh Thomas I think late season should be pushing hard for the 22nd man position and might really push past a couple this season if his development can continue as strongly as it did last season. If injury hits one of our inside mids I think J.Thomas will be one of the first names we look to as a possible replacement.

Wood and McCarthy should probably get a couple of games and would be the next on the list.

Outside of all these players mentioned there will be another 3-4 who should play: Buckley, Rounds, Sinclair. But I will cringe because really this main unit mentioned above are the standouts who all deserve to play well before anyone else is considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't really true. Maxwell often looks like a spare man because he's so bloody good at coming across and helping, but he still plays on an opponent. We only had a true spare man maybe 2-3 times this year from what I can remember. Structurally, our zone is a pretty standard 3-3-3-3-3-3

Yes I see where you're coming from and in a lot on circumstances I would agree but our only permanent forwards were Cloke, Dawes, Macaffer and Davis last season. Goldsack replaced Davis inthe 2nd grand final. Everyone else pushed up to the wing, half back, midfield, etc.

Last season the 7th man wasn't a backman, it was typically a midfielder. I'm not talking about a typical "loose man in defence" type scenario because Maxwell was that less and less last season, I am literally talking about a midfielder playing behind the ball. Didak did it heaps, Johnson did it heaps, Swan did it heaps, Wellingham did it quite a lot, Thomas did it often, etc. We always play with more than 6 players behind the midfield but yes I agree, not all of them are permanent defenders so in my suggested system nothing really changes, just that the rotating player becomes more of a permanent fixture to give us even more backline stability.

FF: Chris Tarrant - Chris Dawes - Steele Sidebottom

Int: Dayne Beams - Leigh Brown - Brent Macaffer

Sub: Ben Johnson

A few things; Chris Tarrant is in our best 22, as is Brad Dick. When Dicky is fit, we have always rushed him into the team. MM loves him and he always performs in the ones. Such is the depth of our list, I don't think Krak can simply come in. We will have to wait and see how is NAB Cup form in, but he is certainly on the outer and needs to earn his spot imo.

B: Maxwell (C) - Brown - Toovey
HB: Shaw - Reid - O'Brien
C: Wellingham - Swan - Thomas
HF: Didak - Dawes - Sidebottom
F: Dick - Cloke - Macaffer
Foll: Jolly - Pendlebury - Ball
Inter: Tarrant, Beams, Johnson
Sub: L.Brown
Emg: Krak, Goldsack, Blair.

I also think it is vital to give Rounds, Dick, J.Thomas, Sinclair and the like gametime early in the year. Expose them to the senior action as you never know when they may be needed.

I think a mild selection rotation policy from game one might work to our advantage, stick with a core of players and rotate others through the afl/vfl sides as we rotate through the bench in games. Has the big advantage of giving everyone likely the game time and recognition and helping the group to gel in different combinations and configerations.
Thoughts?

dick is in our best side when fit, no doubt. He is a special talent.
If a player such as beams is being used solely as a forward, he makes way for dicky

dick is in our best side when fit, no doubt. He is a special talent.
If a player such as beams is being used solely as a forward, he makes way for dicky

I agree that Dick is in our best side and I had him in the side that I picked but he won't come in at the expense of Beams. Beams is an absolute gun and is in the best 8-10 under 21s playing in the AFL right now (who have played).

In my team I had the following changes:
Goldsack OUT Tarrant IN
Macaffer OUT Dick IN
Blair OUT Krakouer IN

Beams is going nowhere. He's our best young mid after Pendlebury.

I agree that Dick is in our best side and I had him in the side that I picked but he won't come in at the expense of Beams. Beams is an absolute gun and is in the best 8-10 under 21s playing in the AFL right now (who have played).

In my team I had the following changes:
Goldsack OUT Tarrant IN
Macaffer OUT Dick IN
Blair OUT Krakouer IN

Beams is going nowhere. He's our best young mid after Pendlebury.

I'd say Sidebottom is comfortably ahead of Beams after his grand final performances.

Beams' form over the last month and given our obvious depth means that he could have been dropped for guys like Thomas, Rounds, and a fit Dick will also put pressure on his spot not to mention now that we have the Krak...

I love Beams, but he can't afford to labor with his form next year cause afterall, I bet MM and the rest of the coaching panel would love to see how Thomas and Rounds go in the ones...

I'd say Sidebottom is comfortably ahead of Beams after his grand final performances.

Beams' form over the last month and given our obvious depth means that he could have been dropped for guys like Thomas, Rounds, and a fit Dick will also put pressure on his spot not to mention now that we have the Krak...

I love Beams, but he can't afford to labor with his form next year cause afterall, I bet MM and the rest of th
e coaching panel would love to see how Thomas and Rounds go in the ones...

So let me get my head around this.

Beams has played 43 games. Up to game 40 a lot of people (including neutrals) were saying that he was the best performed player from his draft. He has a poor 2 or 3 game and now players like Thomas and Rounds who are yet to debut and Dick who is a forward pocket (not a midfielder/wingman/forward flank which are the positions Beams has rotated through) are putting pressure on his position? :confused:

Beams did have an ordinary last few games but you're forgetting that he was brilliant for most of the year and probably in our best 10 players across the year as a whole. Sidebottom meanwhile, from about Round 10 through until Round 20 was very very ordinary and probably deserved to be dropped. Wellingham, O'Brien, Jolly, Dawes, Macaffer and a few others all had wider form slumps this year. Beams was statistically the number 1 inside 50 converter in the competition this season up until about Round 21 and that includes all the elite deliverers in the comp. To cap off his elite delivery he also averaged in the 20s for disposals at over a goal a game

Beams is an absolute jet (as is Sidey by the way) and will not be even close to being dropped. He's not the 22nd player picked either. His 2010 was better than a number of players including Wellingham, Johnson and Ball who were all predominantly midfielders this year. Gun, 2 or 3 games doesn't change that.

VV has it spot on. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see the substitute position rotate according to opposition. I'm not sure Tarrant would be a permanent fixture as a substitute. Malthouse was not afraid to play 7 defenders this year especially against stronger opposition. I think that sub position will often be one of our half forward/midfield options -> at a guess for round one i'd say Krakouer.

So let me get my head around this.

Beams has played 43 games. Up to game 40 a lot of people (including neutrals) were saying that he was the best performed player from his draft. He has a poor 2 or 3 game and now players like Thomas and Rounds who are yet to debut and Dick who is a forward pocket (not a midfielder/wingman/forward flank which are the positions Beams has rotated through) are putting pressure on his position? :confused:

Beams did have an ordinary last few games but you're forgetting that he was brilliant for most of the year and probably in our best 10 players across the year as a whole. Sidebottom meanwhile, from about Round 10 through until Round 20 was very very ordinary and probably deserved to be dropped. Wellingham, O'Brien, Jolly, Dawes, Macaffer and a few others all had wider form slumps this year. Beams was statistically the number 1 inside 50 converter in the competition this season up until about Round 21 and that includes all the elite deliverers in the comp. To cap off his elite delivery he also averaged in the 20s for disposals at over a goal a game

Beams is an absolute jet (as is Sidey by the way) and will not be even close to being dropped. He's not the 22nd player picked either. His 2010 was better than a number of players including Wellingham, Johnson and Ball who were all predominantly midfielders this year. Gun, 2 or 3 games doesn't change that.

You may be right, and don't get me wrong I love Beams too, but guys like Rounds and Thomas will probably debut at some stage, granted however they have big wraps, and should improve in 2011, putting more pressure on selections...

To suggest Beams to be dropped may seem ludicrous, however in the context of how good our list is, and it is absolutely an amazing list, it is a possibility if he has a slump...

How else do we get games into Rounds, Thomas even J-Mac etc...

It would mean that Davis, Macaffer, other very good players make way or injuries...

Look, we are in a great position to have these problems...

I think Brad Dick is an fantastic small forward with awesome disposal and awareness and is deadly around goals... He is probably, arguable in our best 22 but someone has to miss out, and we need to get games into potentially very good youngsters...

In the end, we will have to wait and see how MM and Bucks deal with these 'problems'.

Yeah Paddywackers and Ed D I agree that all but a few players will be at risk if they have a bit of a slump. I consider Beams one of the "core" players though. He's not undroppable, but he's not in that bottom 4 or 5 who are at the most risk if they have a poor couple of games.

Our list is something special and no matter what happens there will be quality missing out but Beams is just one I don't see going backwards to the extent that he'll fall out of the side. Also Paddywackers, I agree that Dick is in our best team, he's the most "dangerous" small forward that we have outside of Didak and Dids is simply good to play in the pocket these days. If we had one weakness this year it was that --> if Dick is fit we won't have that issue again.

Back to back? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Team 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back