Round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

And thus, with 1 small rumour....the 2010 whipping boy was born!

Well I'm glad that's settled then.

It has to be someones fault when we lose.

I wonder if Ratts, who's fave player is clearly JR, is going to play joey just to get the heat off Russ.

I deny any knowledge of that.

or having tips in my hair

for real :thumbsu:

Explain this from your photo album then hmmmm?

flock-of-seagulls2.jpg

Have the actual teams come out yet??

I can't believe I only have to sleep one more time before I get to see Carlton play infront of 80,000 people!

Please make it happen MC :)

Lucas set for Debut

CARLTON youngster Kane Lucas is poised to make his AFL debut against Richmond on Thursday night.

The Blues most recent first-round draft pick has impressed since arriving at Visy Park and looks set to join mature age recruits Brock McLean, Lachie Henderson and Robbie Warnock in the navy blue for the first time.

Lucas set for Debut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wouldnt have thought anderson was in the mix to begin with.

B: Joseph Jamison Thornton
HB: Russel Bower Scotland
C: Walker Mclean Simpson
HF: Waite Ohalpin Robinson
F: Betts Henderson Yarran
R: Kruezer Gibbs Murphy
I/C: Warnock Carazzo Hadley LUCAS

E: Armfield Hoops Grigg

only maybe Hadley in danger of not being in the 22 from above list

hoops preseason hasnt been great. looked pretty average in the Adelaide and Brisbane games I was at.

cant think of anyone else they'd leave out.

wont be long till we know one way of the other

Out of the players in the mix, Hoops plays the most similar role to Sugar...and IF he does debut, it would probably be at the expense of Hoops.

I'd like that to happen actually, will put pressure on Hoops to play at his best which can be very useful

Need to start weeding some of these old players out who have deficiencies, IMO.

Houlihan is one, who's attack on the ball and defensive side is questionable in my eyes. It was nice back in the early 2000s when we had somewhat of a team, and he was kicking 3 or 4 goals on the back of hard work from club superstars like Kouta, Ratten, Braddles and McKay. We just don't have that level of discipline today with our young midfielders, and we need the load to be shared in that regard.

Sugar looks like the kind of guy who would rather die than have his opponent get the better of him. He is well ahead of Houlihan for the time being - who, like Stevens, I prefered out of the side from time to time for similar reasons.

(Not a crack at Stevo, who had bigger issues on his plate, but sometimes his unwillingness to shepherd, to be disciplined, and his, I guess, inability to put his body on the line can really hurt the team.)

Scotland is another on my hitlist, although he has very few glaring deficiencies. Should be 'rested' to allow players like Lucas to keep their spot, and re-introduced for big matches, where he is always a solid contributor. I think he'll be retiring sooner than we may think.

At the end of the year, what would you rather, 20 games in Houlihan, or 20 in Lucas? Another 10 in Robinson, or 10 in Scotland? We should start to 'future-proof' ourselves for the departure or diminishing impact of a few of our players.

From afl.com.au

Here is another link for you zee :p

Preview: Richmond v Carlton

Where and when: MCG, Thursday, March 25, 7.10pm
Head to head: Richmond 84 wins, Carlton 117 wins, two draws
Last time: Carlton 16.13 (109) d Richmond12.17 (89), round 15, 2009 at the MCG

MISSING IN ACTION
Richmond
Nathan Foley (ankle) - indefinite
Ben Griffiths (shoulder) - 4 weeks
Jake King (suspended) - 1 week

Carlton
Mark Austin (hip) - test
Brad Fisher (knee) - TBA
Chris Judd (suspended) - 3 weeks
Simon Wiggins (knee) - test

SUMMARY
Ah, the joys of the first game of the season. Supporters' hearts have hope springing anew, the trauma of the previous year is dead and buried and the new one is unsullied by loss.

Unfortunately, wonderful as all that is, for half of the competition it's unlikely to survive the first game. Form shown in the NAB Cup competition doesn't always translate into the home-and-away season, which makes it tough when that's all you've really got to look at.

Based on last year, Carlton - even with captain Chris Judd suspended - is the favourite here. However, the Tigers provide a cautionary tale when it comes to basing one year's form predictions on the previous season. They had been tipped to have a cracking 2009 after finishing 2008 like a train, but they crashed and burned, sacking the coach and finishing 15th rather than seeing the predicted finals.

Carlton made the finals, but suffered a straight exit with a loss to the Lions and dumped goalkicking machine Brendan Fevola after one indiscretion too many.

Both teams have had variable pre-season success, including the Tigers beating the Cats, but that result should be viewed with extreme scepticism as a form guide.

PLAYER TO WATCH
Is Ben Cousins fit? The Tiger has been hospitalised twice in recent weeks with a mystery gastric complaint, but has trained well in the last few days. He played 15 games last season for a successful return despite being hampered by injury. The Tigers need his midfield experience, especially with Nathan Foley out of the side.

Setanta O'hAilpin copped Brendan Fevola's knee in the kidneys - and a spray as he lay on the ground trying to recover - for entering his teammate's leading path early in 2009, but the Blues are hoping he'll stand up as one of their key targets this season. The Irishman had started last year on the sidelines after a scratch-match punch-up, but was recalled to play 12 games. However, he only kicked 12 goals, and more than one on just one occasion. The 27-year-old needs to take his game to the next level.

QUESTION MARKS
How will Damien Hardwick go in his first game in charge? Hardwick snared the top job at the Tigers after moving from the Hawks, where he was an integral part of the coaching staff for their 2008 premiership.

Can Richmond put up a better show than the corresponding match last year when the Blues embarrassed them by 83 points?

Who will kick Carlton's goals? With Fevola packed off to Brisbane, the Blues are promising a 'share-it-around' approach to scoring, which one suspects is created by necessity rather than desire.

WHO WILL WIN AND WHY
Despite advice to not take too much notice of demonstrated form from the previous year, it's hard to see the Tigers winning this one. The Blues beat them twice in 2009 and made the finals, while the Tigers finished 15th. Hardwick has cleaned out his list, bringing in 14 new players, while the Blues have continued to build and have experience in their corner.

PREDICTION
Carlton by 46 points :D

Not really news about the 3 obvious in McLean, Henderson & Warnock .........

Blues plan four debuts

CARLTON expects four players to make their debut for the club tomorrow night.

Three recruits from other AFL clubs – Lachie Henderson (Brisbane), Robert Warnock (Fremantle), Brock McLean (Melbourne) – along with last year’s first-round draft pick Kane Lucas are likely to run out against Richmond in the season-opener.

“We’d expect three of those to play, if not four,” assistant coach Brett Montgomery said this morning.

The Blues will announce the stand-in captain for suspended skipper Chris Judd later this afternoon, with three players believed to be vying for the job

I would think that Carrazzo will be Captain tomorrow night as he plays his 100th game & it would be fitting for him to lead the team out onto the G.

Blues plan four debuts

looks like everyone has got the same best 25

when judds available, Grigg or Hadley make way.

great work by the fitness staff to have a full side available for rd 1. Austin is the only injured player with the potential to be in the starting 22

i agree with bluetouchpaper that its time to start playing the younger boys and develop the actual team that will be challenging for a premiership from 2011 onwards.

Scotland, Hoops and maybe even Carazzo may not be part of the long term plans

i think for the time being though, we need them. We lack enough mature bodies and leadership without them.

who does the kicking in? in the short term i think Scotland is the man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back