Round 1 v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think too many are getting caught up in looking at contingency plans. We're playing one of the premier sides of the competition over the past few years. They may have injuries but so do we. To beat them we need to play our best side and hope more things go right than wrong, not play a weaker side just in case something goes wrong. I understand the fear given Roughead's history but at the same time it's a matter of putting your best foot forward, not hedging your bets and trying to predict the unpredictable.

You guys need to learnt to trust the MC. Until their selection costs us games just go ahead with what they feel is right, especially when a game hasn't even been played.

You must know something I don't.

As far as I was hearing he was always going to play especially when Campbell pulled up poorly after training early in the week.

Think Bev was playing some mind games but pretty obvious really.

I think too many are getting caught up in looking at contingency plans. We're playing one of the premier sides of the competition over the past few years. They may have injuries but so do we. To beat them we need to play our best side and hope more things go right than wrong, not play a weaker side just in case something goes wrong. I understand the fear given Roughead's history but at the same time it's a matter of putting your best foot forward, not hedging your bets and trying to predict the unpredictable.
If your number one ruckman goes down early in the game, 99% of the time you're screwed anyway. Way too much time spent worrying about contingencies.

If there is one thing I feel as if we all should do, it's we should put our faith and our absolute trust in Luke Beveridge in these tricky selection situations. And this is what makes him so unique and such a fantastic coach. He's a bold risk taker, who's transformed the inner sanctum of this footy club. And he's done it from a fan and media perspective also. And the key ingredient is that he believes in his men. And he's willing to give EVERYONE a chance. (It's no coincidence why he was so enamoured at Hawthorn, who then proceeds to go on and receive coach of the year.)

He definitely has enough credits in the bank for us fans to back him in on this one, because I'm absolutely confident that if there is one guy in this competition who has the ability, the trust from his playing group and his coaches to execute a game plan with a less than fully fit playing group, and take down one of the games great tacticians in Ross Lyon, it's Luke Beveridge.

And the best thing is, he gets us to do it in our own dangerous and breathtaking way. It's no secret that during the NAB challenge you seen sides like Carlton, Collingwood and Melbourne playing very similar to what we produced all of last season. In 12 months, Luke Beverdige has modernised the game and other coaches are already copying his tactics and his game plan.

Bring on Sunday.

I'm more concerned about our size down back then forward.

We have Pav, Clarke, Taberner and Mayne to match up on. I think Morris will go to Pavlich and Adams to Clarke / Griffin. Taberner and to a lesser extent Mayne will have distinct size advantages on their opponent.

I'm more concerned about our size down back then forward.

We have Pav, Clarke, Taberner and Mayne to match up on. I think Morris will go to Pavlich and Adams to Clarke / Griffin. Taberner and to a lesser extent Mayne will have distinct size advantages on their opponent.
I had worries last year when we matched up on Norths twin towers. And we completely ran them off their feet.
I also wouldn't be too worried about a Mayne matchup, he's only 187 cms and could potentially play in defense matched up on Stringer again (similar to round 1). Freo actually aren't playing a tall side compared to others.

If picking the best side is the only criteria, then there is no way in hell Rough should be playing. He was abysmal in the preseason and has shown nothing as a ruck over the course of his career.
Redpath looked good in the NAB so it can't be a form reason he isn't playing.

I had worries last year when we matched up on Norths twin towers. And we completely ran them off their feet.
I also wouldn't be too worried about a Mayne matchup, he's only 187 cms and could potentially play in defense matched up on Stringer again (similar to round 1). Freo actually aren't playing a tall side compared to others.

Good point re Mayne.

It could definitely work as when the ball hits the ground we will be all over them. I just feel having one legitimate key defender who is also playing his first game is a huge risk.

If picking the best side is the only criteria, then there is no way in hell Rough should be playing. He was abysmal in the preseason and has shown nothing as a ruck over the course of his career.

Roughy was poor in the pre-season, but with Minson and Campbell injured there is no other option. Roughy and Big Red are not competing for the same position, Big Red is ok as a backup ruck but can't be first ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but Roughead is our only option. Minson and Campbell are both injured, Goetz isn't ready, and Boyd should be nothing more than backup at this point.

I disagree on Redpath though; I didn't rate his NAB games and clearly the MC didn't either.

I remember about 3 years back we used Redpath as a defender in the NAB cup game against Geelong. Do you think he could get another chance to play that role again?

So without Crameri, Dickson and Redpath (3/4 top 2015 goal scorers) I don't really feel the need to remove Stringer from the forward line at any stage whatsoever this weekend. Let our other 15 midfielders we have do that job.

And yes plan A) looks stronger with more good users and good movers that we can possibly imagine. But if Hamling was underdone I still would have liked Collins to be selected to give us more game time into a proper tall defensive structure we need. It may come off against Fremantle but we won't be stopping St Kilda if they won a lion share of the ball.

As usual I'm somewhat confused over team selection but hey Bev has proven he is a genius on many counts so I'l back him in. But this kind team selection policy has the chance to go horribly wrong. And by horribly wrong I mean Matt Taberner kick a bag wrong.

I remember about 3 years back we used Redpath as a defender in the NAB cup game against Geelong. Do you think he could get another chance to play that role again?
Nah, I don't think it's really his go. I'd struggle to find a matchup for him.

I think he's a solid full forward that can play a role for us there whenever we need it. Not much use trying to move him around in my opinion.

Average heights.

Dogs- Named 22 = av 186.82 cm
Dogs- Emergencies = av 185.67 cm

Freo- Named 22 = av 187.14 cm
Freo- Emergencies = av 189.33 cm

Not a huge difference really, it's more the different styles that
concerns me as we don't exactly rock plan B.

Marcus Adams will be an extremely solid defender for us. Kid is an absolute gun. Don't worry about his disposal it's just nerves at this point affecting him. Honestly he is already ahead of all of our other key defenders and is only going to get better with every AFL game he gets. Expect to see him line up for every game this year and do a fantastic job. He doesn't get outbodied like Hamling does, he is better in the air than any other defender we have with the exception of Wood, and he is extremely mobile and good at ground level. He will be absolutely vital for us this year and a real pillar in defense. What he lacks in height he makes up for with athleticism. He will hold down that KPD spot for the next couple years while Collins develops and then once we have both our backline will be terrifying.

Marcus Adams will be an extremely solid defender for us. Kid is an absolute gun. Don't worry about his disposal it's just nerves at this point affecting him. Honestly he is already ahead of all of our other key defenders and is only going to get better with every AFL game he gets. Expect to see him line up for every game this year and do a fantastic job. He doesn't get outbodied like Hamling does, he is better in the air than any other defender we have with the exception of Wood, and he is extremely mobile and good at ground level. He will be absolutely vital for us this year and a real pillar in defense. What he lacks in height he makes up for with athleticism. He will hold down that KPD spot for the next couple years while Collins develops and then once we have both our backline will be terrifying.
Maybe wait until they have actually played a game, but your optimism
is well optimistic.;)

Seen enough of him in the WAFL. Gun.
I've seen him in the WAFL also and I'm confident he's going to go pretty well. Have always found his disposal to be perfectly fine so I suspect it's nerves or adjusting to the quicker tempo.

I've seen him in the WAFL also and also pretty confident he's going to go pretty well. Have always found his disposal to be perfectly fine so I suspect it's nerves or adjusting to the quicker tempo.
He can kick a mile can't he? If he feels under the pump just belt it 70 metres out of defence!

He can kick a mile can't he? If he feels under the pump just belt it 70 metres out of defence!
Never really thought of him as a prodigious kick but never thought he was poor either. I've been surprised by some of his disposal during the pre season so all should be good. He's a terrific mark and I think we have seen that already. His brother had some problems so he stopped playing as I think most people are aware,he would have definitely been drafted sooner under different circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back