Round 1 v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never really thought of him as a prodigious kick but never thought he was poor either. I've been surprised by some of his disposal during the pre season so all should be good. He's a terrific mark and I think we have seen that already. His brother had some problems so he stopped playing as I think most people are aware,he would have definitely been drafted sooner under different circumstances

Yeah he will likely take a few games to settle and adjust but there's no doubt about his ability. He is also very physically advanced and had full preseason rather than the limited preseason draftees normally do. Very confident about him.

Yeah he will likely take a few games to settle and adjust but there's no doubt about his ability. He is also very physically advanced and had full preseason rather than the limited preseason draftees normally do. Very confident about him.
Agree,totally confident,seen him play and always thought he was the perfect fit for us and could be ready to go round one. Still think Hamling should and will play most of the season also. Plenty of room for both of them at this stage.

Never really thought of him as a prodigious kick but never thought he was poor either. I've been surprised by some of his disposal during the pre season so all should be good. He's a terrific mark and I think we have seen that already. His brother had some problems so he stopped playing as I think most people are aware,he would have definitely been drafted sooner under different circumstances

His brother was put into a coma after being assaulted and that affected Marcus greatly.

I agree, but Roughead is our only option. Minson and Campbell are both injured, Goetz isn't ready, and Boyd should be nothing more than backup at this point.

I disagree on Redpath though; I didn't rate his NAB games and clearly the MC didn't either.

I would feel better with Big Red in the side. He and Dickson are probably our two most accurate set shots for goal and in that category I would have them ahead of Stringer, Dahl, Macrae and Boyd who are all named in the fwd line.
Carlton probably would have won if Casboult was a decent kick.

I would feel better with Big Red in the side. He and Dickson are probably our two most accurate set shots for goal and in that category I would have them ahead of Stringer, Dahl, Macrae and Boyd who are all named in the fwd line.
Carlton probably would have won if Casboult was a decent kick.

He is a very nice kick for a big guy, there's no doubt. It feels like he has a bit of a tendency to go missing in games though. Doesn't seem to really demand the footy and is very unreliable overhead. Drops too many easy ones. Those are my concerns with him. Doesn't matter if he'd a good kick if he doesn't get chances to have a shot.
Dickson is a lot better at being in the right place at the right time and makes his own opportunities. Finds ways to make something out of nothing and is dangerous on the deck. In contrast to Red who has a very basic gamestyle of lead>mark>set shot which is very predictable and limited.

The odds for this game are crazy.

On Sportsbet, we're at 1.62 and Freo are 2.35. I don't see why we'd be favourites.
We've been the biggest backed team by a mile, from memory we were $2.35 maybe higher when the odds came out. Makes you wonder if there are any more outs coming tomorrow from Freo.

His brother was put into a coma after being assaulted and that affected Marcus greatly.
That's correct. Was actually a pretty big story in Perth at the time to,huge actually,so it's hard from the other side of Australia to get the greater perspective on how a pretty tough family moment can be even tougher when played out in the public eye and probably was a significant factor in Marcus's decision to give footy a break for a short period. We should really back this bloke,he's going to be a great addition to this club.

On Sportsbet, we're at 1.62 and Freo are 2.35. I don't see why we'd be favourites.

Probably a bit of round 1 madness. As a neutral I think you would tip the Dogs. It's a long off-season and people forget how formidable Freo were last year. Couple this with the fact that they haven't really done much to bolster their list apart from Bennel who isn't playing. Then you've got the fact that Johnson and Sandi are out. Then you'e got the fact that we had an insane record at Etihad last season. Not surprised people would want to take a punt on the Bulldoges to get up.

Our lack of talls is a bit worrying, hope it's not a marking frenzy in our back 50 :/
Given we've brought in Dunkley who looks like he is a pressure mid, expect the message for the mids to be one word, "pressure". Forces the rushed kick which is always going to give us a chance for an intercept mark and if not, to at least bring it to ground. Similarly to last year. Anyone know if Dunks has shown much up fwd last year in the U/18s? Would expect most mids will spend time up fwd at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given we've brought in Dunkley who looks like he is a pressure mid, expect the message for the mids to be one word, "pressure". Forces the rushed kick which is always going to give us a chance for an intercept mark and if not, to at least bring it to ground. Similarly to last year. Anyone know if Dunks has shown much up fwd last year in the U/18s? Would expect most mids will spend time up fwd at some point.
One of the biggest positives on Dunkley is that he's a capable forward and an excellent overhead mark. I expect that's where he'll spend most of his time tomorrow.

Just put $25 on Freo so either way I'll be very happy if we win or content if we lose, but I'd prefer 4pts over $60 odd dollars. Also put $25 on Adelaide who have similar odds against old man Norf, even without Dangerfield I think Adelaide are a better side than Norf & what those odds suggest even in Melbourne

Last edited:
Just put $25 on Freo so either way I'll be happy, but if prefer 4pts over $60 odd dollars. Also put $25 on Adelaide who have similar odds against old man Norf, even without Dangerfield I think Adelaide are a better side than Norf & what those odds suggest even in Melbourne

Backed Adelaide as well
North Melbourne have not won round one under Brad Scott apparently

It may have already been covered, and I haven't looked it up, but seems like a number of changes from our prelim side last year...? Anyone looked at the numbers?

This game will show if we have improved. Traditionally we drop these 50/50 games, the next step is to win a few. We won't have a better chance to best freo than tomorrow with their outs. Hope it's a fast and measures game. Go dogs.

The jumper presentation video on the dogs website is awesome. Didn't know Suckling had a five year run of one year contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back