Round 1 v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geez our backline is small. Either we will run them off their feet or there talls will expose us. This makes the midfield all the more crucial. Big risk by bevo. Could cop a lot of flak if there talls expose us.

Expect some exciting stuff from Caleb on Sunday. We have a fairly good team in. Will Stringer drift in and out half forward line to forward line. Caleb you would think will spend more time in the middle as the game goes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are my selection concerns:
Adams: not sure he's even familiar with the full back position and didn't play there in the pre-season.
Libba: quite likely still short of fitness and limited interchanges may test him.
Dickson: limited match practice, so underdone
Roughead: still ranked 3rd best ruckman IMO, but Campbell must have failed his fitness test.

The side as selected goes in with some question marks and doesn't look as settled as the opposition lineup. Despite this, I'm still optimistic we will do well but we will need a bit of Bev's Midas touch to get us over the line.

Very surpristed BTC didn't get up. He looked pretty good on Tuesday. Maybe i may have to re-train my eyes.. Will be late outs, potentially from both teams. And by late, i mean on Sunday pre-game.

Hmm still not sure how to feel about our selection policy (that being going quite small). For the hypothetical purpose of this conversation lets say Redpath is left out.

One hand it strengthens plan A (in that we have one extra small that we can use to break lines and get quick forward entry) yet it almost completely denies us an option B with an extra tall option at either end.

It might stack up better for us on a fast track like Etihad but I feel as though it wouldn't stack up in a finals like defensive intensity which means the ball is just pinging out of our forward line because we haven't got multiple big marking options. It what cost us IMO when we were just bombing the ball in long against Adelaide, particularly when Redpath was either getting out-positioned in one on ones or was in the ruck. Even then we still had Crameri who can take a big body and help out in that regard.

The good news is that in that situation that this time around if the ball was bombed in then we have a far better aerialist in Boyd down there. Then again he could spend no time down their at all and forced into the ruck if our injury prone ruckman went down.

This means we need a big game from Roughead in my view. He not only has to be prominent in the ruck but spend a large majority of the game in there. No time for versatility from Roughy, we need him to perform the one role and to do it well.

I have to say some surprises. Last year I don't think I tipped the playing 22 all year, but then again I only tipped us to win 6-7 games so you can see who to put your faith in. I would like to see Dunkley and McLean play but those guys don't cover our areas of weakness in my opinion.

anyone else think Biggs could well go back allowing Bob to go up forward more? Really hoping we see him up the ground more either delivering into F50 or recieving inside the F50.

I wish we could just clone Bob. God he's good.

Well and truly deserving of a banner hanging from the Etihad rafters when he eventually calls it a day (which hopefully won't be for another 4 or 5 years), alongside Westy, Granty, Johnno, EJ and Hawk.

I wish we could just clone Bob. God he's good.

Well and truly deserving of a banner hanging from the Etihad rafters when he eventually calls it a day (which hopefully won't be for another 4 or 5 years), alongside Westy, Granty, Johnno, EJ and Hawk.
After lifting a few cups though, obviously.

Geez our backline is small. Either we will run them off their feet or there talls will expose us. This makes the midfield all the more crucial. Big risk by bevo. Could cop a lot of flak if there talls expose us.

Have you seen our talls? I think your defenders will be fine.

Midfield battle will be an absolute cracker, wish Bennell was playing so we could match your x-factor.

Redpath absolutely must play. No way we go in with an injury prone Roughy and Boyd, could very easily end up having Boyd ruck the whole game and us having no tall bar Stringer up front if thats the case.

Huge opportunity for Roughy, Im very excited to see what he does with it. Make or break for him, dont perform here and BTC comes straight back in next week. Im quitely confident he goes ok one out though.

The small backline could backfire but if theres a week to do it its this one. Similar to how we set up in the North game last year from memory?

**** me this game is going to be an absolute belter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back