Round 1 v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stringer has no logical match up, his biggest weakness is his overhead marking but he's played better in the air against smaller opponents such as the second west coast game last year.
He is very much a confidence player. Last time his head appeared to drop when johnson went to him.
This time, I can't see who they can play on him:
Pearce has great endurance, good over head, has a alright kick/hand ball BUT lacks the acceleration, hard ball skills and power to contain stringer. Also missed a lot of the preseason.
Dawson is great over head, has average disposal, good positioning one v one BUT again lack acceleration, ground ball skills and in his case endurance.
Silvagni is tall BUT stringer is stringer.

Freo really needed to draft M Adams last year. So glad we got both Collins and Adams, we would likely be seeing them lining up for Freo this week.

He is very much a confidence player. Last time his head appeared to drop when johnson went to him.
This time, I can't see who they can play on him:
Pearce has great endurance, good over head, has a alright kick/hand ball BUT lacks the acceleration, hard ball skills and power to contain stringer. Also missed a lot of the preseason.
Dawson is great over head, has average disposal, good positioning one v one BUT again lack acceleration, ground ball skills and in his case endurance.
Silvagni is tall BUT stringer is stringer.

Freo really needed to draft M Adams last year. So glad we got both Collins and Adams, we would likely be seeing them lining up for Freo this week.
Adams would be the perfect matchup for stringer.

after team announcements I had our EMG as McLean, Dunkley, Jong

I would be happy with any of these as replacements for Dickson

McLean seems the obvious for his x-factor and goal kicking

but both Jong and Dunks would add to the more grunt to the midfield

wouldn't mind seeing Dunks get a debut.

after team announcements I had our EMG as McLean, Dunkley, Jong

I would be happy with any of these as replacements for Dickson

McLean seems the obvious for his x-factor and goal kicking

but both Jong and Dunks would add to the more grunt to the midfield

wouldn't mind seeing Dunks get a debut.
Yeah agree with that, would be reasonably happy with either of them. It might even come down to their defensive side, the coaches are always very quick to point out how good Dicko is defensively so that might factor into who takes his spot. Freo are going to try to move the ball from halfback quicker this year so our small forwards are going to have to wreak havoc on them.

This game is going to come down to the performances of Stringer, Boyd and Redpath. At least 2 of those guys will need to take responsiblity on Sunday and that makes me nervous.
Roughead rucking on the back of a VFL practice game against North
Ballarat does not make you at all nervous. This will impact the role
of both Boyd and Redpath, particularly late in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our defence isn't markedly smaller than last season. Adams is about as tall as Hamling. We've lost Talia. Roberts is on the outer but does anyone seriously think we're much weaker for it?

Which of Freo's talls should we worry about apart from old man Pav?

I don't know about the appropriateness of the word 'worry' but from a Freo perspective we really need our resting ruckman, probably starting off with Griffin, to hit the scoreboard and demand the footy if they find themselves with the mismatch. Clarke can also take a big mark on occasion and spent more time training as a forward over summer and IMO it'd be huge ****up if we fail to capitalise on likely height mismatches. Expectations of Taberner (mine anyway) would be a goal or two but more importantly bring the ball to ground to get Ballantyne, Walters and hopefully Weller into the game and prevent your loose man mopping up with ease.

All in all I think if you can restrict those four to ~6 goals you have one hand firmly on the W, as usual I can see our mids and small forwards having to carry the responsibility of kicking a winning score. Reckon it will be beauty of a game, with some stunning goals manufactured through rebound from HB similar to your round 1 game last year or even our last encounter, and I says good luck to anyone who can predict a winner with any degree of confidence.

So pumped to see Dunkley play!

fronkalicious called Dunkley's round 1 berth months and months ago. Kudos.

Congrats to the kid, looking forward to seeing him play. :thumbsu:
He also called a small team at either end, will go very close to winning the predicted round one team comp!

How much time in the ruck are we expecting Boyd to have to play in the ruck ? I doubt Roughead could play 80% ruck

How much time in the ruck are we expecting Boyd to have to play in the ruck ? I doubt Roughead could play 80% ruck
He did against Goldstein last year. But I'd imagine it would be around 70/30.

Hopefully he can cement himself on Sunday because he's a great clubman
Understand the doubts, think we all want him to succeed. He is absolutely lucky to be playing, but now he is hopefully he grabs his chance.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd in there at the opening bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back