Preview Round 1 v Hawks (team listed #982 p40)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really big round 1 for the club, as silly as it sounds season defining. Hard to pick. Hawks rightly start favourites with our outs but we are a chance to win.

Forward line looks our Achilles heel. Has been for a while but with no Fas or Elliott there are just no noted goal kickers in the team. There is no one in the side who has ever managed to kick more than 25 goals in a season for Collingwood. Amazing stat when you think about it. Best anyone in the 22 has ever done is Varcoe kicking 31 for the Cats back in 2011.

Other thing is how massive the season is for both teams. Collingwood have a really hard run in the 1st six rounds and it's important to win at least 2 of those if finals are to say over the agenda. Likewise Hawks have a tough 1st 4 weeks and if lose to us are looking at a 0-4 start which is season over usually.

Would be a great day for Cox to have a breakout game.

Right, so lets become a team of plodders.
Who needs to kick goals anyway, there's other ways you can win games of footy.

Goal kickers? Pfft. There's no place in the game for them.
Maybe he isn’t doing what the coach has asked him to do? People complain about game style etc but if a player doesn’t do what’s asked of him to execute a new game style then why should he be picked? I’m speculating here, however, Bucks did come out and say he needs to work on a few things before he will be considered. I suppose the point im making is that there must be a good reason why he hasn’t been selected. After all, I’m sure Bucks wants To win just as much if not more than any of us

We are not screwed. Forward pressure is applied by the whole side, not just the forwards.
Agreed, but when four of the six forwards can't apply pressure it puts the onus on others. And, as recent seasons have shown, Collingwood is the king for allowing coast to coast scores and easy exits from the forward line.

We ARE screwed mac....screwed I tell ya.

Turns out Buckley was only sporting a Smith semi and not the full on blue balls Blair.

The Hawthorn side named.

B: James Frawley, Ben Stratton, Tim O’Brien
HB: Blake Hardwick, James Sicily, Ryan Burton
C: Ricky Henderson, Jaeger O’Meara, Isaac Smith
HF: Jack Gunston, Ryan Schoenmakers, Shaun Burgoyne
F: Paul Puopolo, Jarryd Roughead, Luke Breust
R: Ben McEvoy, Tom Mitchell, Jarman Impey
INT: Taylor Duryea, Liam Shiels, Daniel Howe, Cyril Rioli
Emer: Brendan Whitecross, Harry Morrison, Marc Pittonet, Conor Glass
Dam good team there.

Will be a tough game Saturday against our bogey side. I would have preferred an extra midfielder ahead of Crocker, that way we have the luxury of resting one or more of Pendles, Sidey or Varcoe they crumb so well and with two talls that’s critical because if they don’t mark and/or we don’t crumb, we are stuffed. Cricket is a depth player for me, hasn’t really shown much. Mayne or Blair would have been a better option, can at least tackle.Blooding brown and Daicos would have been beneficial.

I am bemused by what the coaches see in Phillips, he is one paced and soft. Panics and turns the ball over, important for linking but surely we have better alternatives. Greenwood would be a much better alternative.

We will win the contested ball, tackles and inside 50’s. What will determine our success is our ball use and decision making going forward, and conversion of set shots. We should really win by 30+ points

I think Crocker will surprise a few. He’s vanilla, but he’s what we need in the forward line - hard worker.
Sorry how can you be a hard worker and soft at the same time

Sorry how can you be a hard worker and soft at the same time
Might be a different definitions of the term vanilla. I and I suspect the poster you quoted take it as meaning no weapons, but obviously you see soft in the term vanilla.

Would like to see us play someone on Tom Mitchell for the game. With our midfield dominance sacrificing one mid to negate Mitchell is worth it.

With the conditions looking wet we need to ditch the handballs and go long and direct let cox bring the ball to the ground and give the smaller forwards a chance of crumbing it

Would like to see us play someone on Tom Mitchell for the game. With our midfield dominance sacrificing one mid to negate Mitchell is worth it.

With the conditions looking wet we need to ditch the handballs and go long and direct let cox bring the ball to the ground and give the smaller forwards a chance of crumbing it

Expecting Maynard to play a run-with role on Mitchell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with Scharenberg?? Why is he not playing, and why did he not play any of the JLT games? Did he run over Buck's dog or something??

In short, he is fighting with Langdon for that 3rd tall HB / intercepting role.

Though he is slower, less athletic, doesnt have great endurance or 1-on-1 defensive abilities, & so far in the pre-season Langdon's form has been better.

Tough times for Shaz, as he has also fallen behind Maynard, Smith & now Murray, and is struggling with multiple aspects of modern footy that players need to have nailed down to warrant selection.

Last edited:
We were 18th for tackles and 17th for pressure in the forward 50 last season. Don't see how the selected side can improve on that aspect.

Cox can't pressure opponents. Reid is slower than treacle these days. First gamer Stephenson wasn't recruited for tackling, but at least has the pace to chase. And then there is Hoskin-Elliott, who is no doubt an excellent footballer, but defensively is no tougher than a wet tissue.

So it looks like its up to Thomas and Crocker to apply the forward pressure.

We're screwed.

Swapping the bolded names for Butler and Dalhaus changes things markedly doesn’t it!

This is where we’re vulnerable, IMO. I’m confident that our midfield will offer enough supply and Cox and Reid will provide enough in the air to bring it to ground level, but I have no confidence in what happens beyond that. We can probably even mask our poor work in transition if we get enough numbers to the drop of the ball at those contests!

Are you suggesting they have exactly the same physical issues?

Are you suggesting that they needed to have the same physical issues for me to suggest Wells was available?

By the by, no I’m suggesting neither is match fit, but one is playing and the other isn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back