Preview Round 1 v Hawks (team listed #982 p40)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swapping the bolded names for Butler and Dalhaus changes things markedly doesn’t it!

This is where we’re vulnerable, IMO. I’m confident that our midfield will offer enough supply and Cox and Reid will provide enough in the air to bring it to ground level, but I have no confidence in what happens beyond that. We can probably even mask our poor work in transition if we get enough numbers to the drop of the ball at those contests!

Are you suggesting that they needed to have the same physical issues for me to suggest Wells was available?

By the by, no I’m suggesting neither is match fit, but one is playing and the other isn’t.
Hypothetical - If Wells played for Hawthorn, do you think he would be playing tomorrow and why?

This I really, really need to see an answer.

Why is it unlikely?
It’s unlikely that the health professionals employed by the club would be less effective than health professionals at other clubs.

In short, he is fighting with Langdon for that 3rd tall HB / intercepting role.

Though he is slower, less athletic, doesnt have great endurance or 1-on-1 defensive abilities, & so far in the pre-season Langdon's form has been better.

Tough times for Shaz, as he has also fallen behind Maynard, Smith & now Murray, and is struggling with multiple aspects of modern footy that players need to have nailed down to warrant selection.

Why not try make him into a forward....if his knees hold up? Maybe not the answer however, one thing I’d like to see this year is for us to mix things up a bit with certain players. Higher draft picks who are not automatic first 22 after being in the list for a couple of years obviously have some talent and so should be tried in different roles. You never know what may happen.

Swapping the bolded names for Butler and Dalhaus changes things markedly doesn’t it!

This is where we’re vulnerable, IMO. I’m confident that our midfield will offer enough supply and Cox and Reid will provide enough in the air to bring it to ground level, but I have no confidence in what happens beyond that. We can probably even mask our poor work in transition if we get enough numbers to the drop of the ball at those contests!

Are you suggesting that they needed to have the same physical issues for me to suggest Wells was available?

By the by, no I’m suggesting neither is match fit, but one is playing and the other isn’t.

Yeah I think we need Sidey to play forward this week. Probably our best crumber and his skills in those conditions will cause the hawks headaches.

Fas will kick more goals than both of them combined.
That makes him more valuable to the team than those two.
Not combined no.
Fasolo can go say 30 goals per season.
If Cox and Reid play the year up forward they combined will go easily over 30.

Fasolo is valuable but even he is no Elliott.

(Elliott is our big ticket missing in my view; he is top shelf when healthy.)

It’s unlikely that the health professionals employed by the club would be less effective than health professionals at other clubs.

That doesn't answer the question.

Why do you think it is unlikely that the allied health staff employed at the CFC are less effective than those at other clubs?

For those who were mentioning the weather on Saturday as a factor..

BOM now report that the high winds and rain will now be morning and afternoon and should be gone by evening with the wind dying down to 15km.

I’ll be at Download fest so I hope that’s right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A plodder is exactly what Fas becomes when the other team has the ball.

You can’t carry plodders who only want to run one way anymore...especially when we are already playing Reid and Cox up forward:

For a team who struggled to kick winning scores (despite having very high i50 numbers) defensive pressure is a secondary problem imo, whether Faz is right to go im neither here nor there but I would love to see improvement in:

a)converting inside 50s to goals or shots on goal.
b)delivery into said 50 to advantage of teammates rather then trash kicks.

If you kick goals you don't need to base your entire game around forward pressure.
If you happen to miss and kick points you get time to "set up" and have team defensive effort aka forward pressure, from the kick out.

We have gone from having crumbers default to winning the ball when it spills to worrying about laying tackles imo the balance is far too much to defensive mindsets. That is not to say you dont need forward pressure but imo we need more of the attacking element to go with it.

Defending the transition would be much easier if our last line in our Zone wasn't pushed up to our CHF line allowing free out the back plays when you break over it.

Crocker looked promising in year 1, but was injured for most of year 2. Why have so many written him off.

Well, I was told I shouldn't expect Daicos to play Round 1 because his pre-season form hasn't warranted selection.

But would those same people say Crocker's has?

Well, I was told I shouldn't expect Daicos to play Round 1 because his pre-season form hasn't warranted selection.

But would those same people say Crocker's has?

I have no expectation either way but those you refer to would probably say Crocker at least has one promising season under his belt.

Young Daic's has done some nice things but our biggest worry is conversion.

Toss up in my opinion.

For those who were mentioning the weather on Saturday as a factor..

BOM now report that the high winds and rain will now be morning and afternoon and should be gone by evening with the wind dying down to 15km.

I’ll be at Download fest so I hope that’s right.

I just googled the Download Festival and I think those bands would say you're soft if you are worried about the weather Mongo Ming :p

I have no expectation either way but those you refer to would probably say Crocker at least has one promising season under his belt.

Young Daic's has done some nice things but our biggest worry is conversion.

Toss up in my opinion.

Conversion? As in, in front of goal?

Pretty sure Daicos is a far straighter kick than Crocker. Also has better leg speed and more pure skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back