Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

I was impressed with cunningham tonight. He played small forward, kicked 2 and almost 3. He was clean and 1 touch. We should persist with him
Needs to do more and get involved more but kicked 2. I reckon he could Ave 1.5-2 goals a game. Just needs to get the ball 10 more times a game. Should be used up the ground a bit more

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

he is nearly there and can be a very effective 3rd tall option. thought he did well tonight..certainly has the smarst..was a great goal when he baulked the tigers players... marking is what he needs to continue improving on and he took one good one tonight. i would sooner perservere with jsos than quiet a few others.

Pretty simple equation tonight once Kreuzer went down. If Levi was on the bench, McGovern had to ruck...which made Jack the tallest forward inside 50. Thought he battled well despite being asked to play a role so far from what he should be having to do.

He plays on the best in the business whom only kicked one when he pushed Lachie fair and square in the back, should have been a free kick, dished a cupla good handballs/tap on for goals, Dusty is a ******* freak, Gazza freaky.
Plowman had his measure for the rest, out muscled and positioned him several times.
Plow is a deadset gun.
ffs

Only quibble from the game I've got on Plowman was the dumb call for handball from Murph who should have had a set shot at goal.

Very understated game from SPS.

Went under the radar with Docherty returning and resuming his usual sweeping duties, but consistently made good decisions in the decisions. Had balls of steel on a few occasions stepping through multiple Richmond players on the last line.

Looks, on a very small viewing, more confident in his role and played deeper than we’d previously seen him.

Really thought he brought his game to a new level. Looked like he had all the time in the world when he was at times in some of the hottest spots in the ground. Calm and collected.

23 tackles is a glaring stat

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
The 23 tackles.
Lack of converting out 50 entries
Slow start.

This cost us yesterday and will cost us in the future.

The F50 entries is easy, when we get our talls back and betts to add some leadership for a bit will help out for this season.

The tackles is something the coaching staff will be onto, let's see how we run out next week.

The slow start was something that happened week in week out under Teague last year. Let's see if it continues

Just some quick thoughts on the game.

Docherty - Thought he had a solid comeback game and will be a lot better for the run. Certainly one of the better players on the night.
Cripps - Typical game from him, even if a little scrappy at times.
Martin - Shining light for the day, certainly shows why the Suns potentially wanted a lot more for him.
Casboult - A lock in our team and I forgive him for a few soft contests as he had to do a mountain of work.
Murphy - A little scrappy, but still puts in a good enough effort for me, just needs to fix up his disposal.
Simpson - Certainly closer to the end, but I certainly did not think he was terrible tonight.
Walsh - Shocking decision making tonight, but hoping it was a one off issue.
SPS - Clean and a highlight for the night, we need more guys with his efforts and kicking ability.
Fisher - Same old same old for him with me, just a small guy with not a heap of impact. Not completely sold on him long term, needs to learn to tackle harder.
Curnow - Rough game and he slowly needs to be replaced.
Cuningham - Typical game from him, low possession count and if he does not kick goals, he is a complete waste of space in many regards. I think someone like Philp surely could provide the same level out output with more potential upside.
Newman - I don't mind him in many ways, still has a place in our side but is in our potential bottom 6.
Weitering - So so so so good, considering the ball movement coming into our forward line, he was great.
Newnes - Better than I thought, but you would hope he is a short term solution.
McGovern - Honestly lacks a tank and only works in short bursts, really needs to be replaced by Curnow and McKay
Dow - If he was not pick 3, I wonder if he would get a game sometimes. Pity there is no VFL to give him a few months of confidence.
Jones - Smashed early, but my god our midfield pressure was shocking and the delivery to Jack was sublime. Still lacks a little footy IQ at times.
JSOS - Did enough, created some goals but lacked a little punch.
Plowman - A few mistakes was not amazing.
Setterfield - Needs to step up and was shocking, not sure if he had a limited preseason but certainly looked lost out there.
Gibbons - Looks like midfielder lost in the forward line.
Kruezer - Typically injured and such a shame for Carlton.

I am really looking forward to potentially names like Philp, Honey, Williamson, LOB.... stepping up soon.

Dow - Not sure we can keep selecting him.
Cuningham - Just does not have the fitness or output to warrant a spot for my liking.
Gibbons - Maybe a placeholder until Betts gets back. (4 weeks)
McGovern - I would not mind him making way if we get Curnow and McKay back.
I agree with most of what you say except for McGovern.

He is our 3rd forward option so his job is that much harder without McKay or Curnow in the side as he gets the attention of the best 2 defenders.

He isn't there to be replaced by them but to be our 3rd out when they are in. His productivity and presence will be harder to manage when we are healthy forward of the ball.

Also as others said was happy with cunners. 2 goals and needs time in the team to improve.

Did Walsh have a tag or was it just because he was off a wing that he struggled to get near it. His GPS numbers were low too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPS disposal efficiency 90%.

Team average 69%

He is elite.

And a lot of his possessions were in traffic too.

He managed to sidestep, twist and turn out of trouble at will last night.

Was very 'Pendelbury-like' with his ability to create space.

It was beautiful.

Did Walsh have a tag or was it just because he was off a wing that he struggled to get near it. His GPS numbers were low too.

He took a couple of very heavy tackles in the first half, that seemed to shake him up a bit.

Not sure if that took the wind out of his sails in the second half.

Whatever it was, hopefully he can shake it off and bounce back.

Amazing to think almost half our side didn’t lay a tackle. You would hope surely that is a result of our game style in some way because that is incredible. Also our pressure seemed pretty good at times.
We actually won the inside 50’s so having three of our best forwards out you would think hurt us but look who actually kicked our goals. Our forwards. We needed scoreboard impact from the guys running through the midfield and they offered nothing in that department.

You're talking about players who have played 1 and 2 seasons of footy:

Setterfield: 21
Dow: 40

It takes time to put together some solid performances and gain confidence, unless you're a freak like Walsh. You need to give young players time to grow.
It’s not their performances for me it’s how they look out there. Both look completely lost atm and offer nothing.
This season just really sucks not having VFL where they should be growing their games.

agreed, you look early and every contest Richmond made they made it hurt, even legit marks. Actually thought they should have been penalised for many but they weren't. Footy is a contact sport, and a very get into your opponents head sport. Hell I used to do it, within the rules, never got reported but fu** I was yappy and maybe white line fever. Got taken out a few times, never took any cheap shots, but shit, tackles held and hurt and marks had to be earnt. I know footy now is different but all good premiership teams of late play on that edge within the rules and try to intimidate as a collective. Thats when the foot soldiers can be effective and allow the elite to create. we have to learn to do this.

Richmond definitely made us 'earn the ball' last night. Very physical, right on the limit.

It will be good if/when our team has the physical/mental aptitude to do the same.

He is an inside mid not a hit up high half forward flanker. You’d think he’d be #2 in the guts but Murphy and curnow certainly ahead of him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Plowman rarely gets beaten on the best small/mid forwards in the game, week in week out.
He’s always at the drop helping out and covering his own man.
The kid is close to being one of the best shutdown defenders in the game and people still pot him.
It’s mental.

I won't rate Plowman til he polls well in a B&F.

THAT will show his worth to the team, week in, week out.

Wait, hold on a second.... ;)

No excuses for the slow start - killed us last year and did so last night as well. As nice as the improvement after qtr time was, had the feel of the tigers also taking the foot off the pedal (which i think may be a product of no crowd) and when they needed to kick a goal they did it easily.

I dont know the centre square numbers but did Setters, Walsh, Dow, Gibbons, Cunners even go in their once? Last year we put them in too much and we paid the price but we need to develop their games - cant rely on Cripps/Murphy/Ed to do it all.

As for the players:
Weitering - Beast mode, get used to it.
SPS - didnt notice him the 1st qtr, but last 3 qtrs was really good. Cool, calm and use of ball was great. Even went back once or twice and put his body on the line. I think he could be used up the ground a little bit more in an ideal world. If willo comes in and can play well, either SPS or Doc could be moved up the ground at times.
Doc - great to see him back - bit fumbly at times and rushed but to be expected. Probably not a bad round 1 game to return as the pace was slow compared to a normal rnd 1 (no crowd - less adrenaline) - hell be much better next game.
Casboult - no big clunks but did a really good job when kruezer went down and also kicked 2 goals. all heart as always. but they better not play him as no.1 ruck as we know that doesnt work.
Cripps - was really good but probably not as damaging as we would have liked.

Simpson - not sure he needed to go again this year, round 1 hasnt changed my mind either - was the worst but made some blunders.
Murphy - FMD his disposal, like the first half last year. Also still chooses when he wants to go hard and when he doesnt. He'll be better and when he is on we will be much better. Probably our most important player to get his skills right as he is so damaging when his skills are on.
Newnes - looks a nick graham clone. effort was good but disposal not so much. probably expect a bit more from a 150 game player, see how he goes going fwd.

Poor:
Fisher: same as last year, doesnt do enough and not sure where he is best suited - is he too small? frustrating
Dow - doesnt go hard enough, doesnt want the ball enough, doesnt use it well and is played out of position. if he plays, he needs to play more midfield. if not, then dont play him.
Gibbons - unsighted, played out of position like he was the first half of 2019 and has little impact.
Setters - not sure whats wrong with him, all preseason has been poor. needs to work harder, got going a bit better the 2nd half of the match and some good chases/repeat efforts.
Cunners - 2 goals and should have been 3. he needs to play as he will kick goals but needs to get involved a lot more. Another played out of position as not enough minutes up the ground - needs to be 60/40 or 70/30 fwd/mid split, last night was 100% fwd from what i saw.
Jones - thought his first half was atrocious, yes not helped by the mids but he has to learn to tighten up when things not going our way up the ground.
JSOS/GOV - not an easy night when yuo are expected to be the main tagrets when its not your role. JSOS did a few nice things but needs to get involved more and Gov tried to do alot but it didnt come off, might need to simplify his efforts (not try and take a hanger every time)
Newman: hurt his elbow, clearly an injury he has had before with the taping. but even upto then i hadnt noticed him. I didnt have him best 22 and would rather Willo anyway.
Walsh - i was shot down last year on here whenever i mentioned his bad disposal at times (seemed he would just have days when he was shocking). Same again last night, kicking was poor, didnt take the 1st option and it cost us at times. needed to be involved more, not sure why he wasnt.

As for next week, i am loathe to make changes as if they are good enough for round 1 they should be good enough for round 2, or another way, they deserve more than 1 week before getting dropped. Dont wont blokes playing scared knowing if they **** up once theyll be dropped.

Also....if McGovern could have taken a couple of those huge marks....that would have been massive.

It will click one day, but at times does he need to do all these big leaps? must be an easier way to get the ball? our delivery isnt great and at times its like they are told to put it on his head so he can jump

We did better then i was anticipating on an eerie night........early stages i thought it would be another viscious thrashing.......but credit to the boys they got back in the game even though we lost Kruzer....clearly Dow is very frustrating has poor descision making and skills to match needs to be dropped and get one of the new boys in Philp or Honey.......Ecstatic seeing Doc back he makes a huge difference in the back line with his run and carry.......Weiters has turned into a beast as a full back and done a number on Lynch last night hoping this trend continues.....Cunners did well in the forward line, Martin is what we expected and as always the usual suspects played well......with a few of our forwards coming back i reckon we will definatley suprise a few teams this year.......i am more optimistic on the season if it continues with all this Kung Flu floating around....go Blues

Amazing to think almost half our side didn’t lay a tackle. You would hope surely that is a result of our game style in some way because that is incredible. Also our pressure seemed pretty good at times.

And that means the other half averaged 2 each. still not good enough either.

I could be biased against him, but I personally don't see a role for a low pressure, low possession, low goal kicking small forward in our team. I would much prefer to give that role to a younger player if one should appear. I guess for now he is playing a role which I hope can be replaced with someone like Bolton/Riolo/Short....
He was clearly better than the 2 other small forwards that we played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back