Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm replying to hysterical posters just chilling after a epic capitulation. The good lie down is all on the other side of this screen
These sort of losses happen. The Threepeat team lost a few to Geelong over the journey and I think they also lost one against Port down in Tassie (now that one pissed me off).

Yes it is infuriating but starting out by saying players have their cards stamped. That's just loco.

This. Was the ball game.

This is what should of happened, but could you trust those umpires in that moment not to ping him. They did it with Bruest with the same amount of time that would have been afforded to Hawthorn players. They would have got holding the ball and a set shot. Just needed to hand ball it to the team mates on his left.

Yeah recon when our captain comes back Phillips looked the better player today, which I had my doubts about.
Good on him thought he gave Finlayson a bath today.
Spot on. Phillips stays in over Serong 100%. Even with Sic and Scrim back in, I would keep Phillips. Scrim down back with him, and Sic to CHF. Would like to see Sic given a few weeks at CHF to see how it goes. No harm at this stage if it doesn’t work.

These sort of losses happen. The Threepeat team lost a few to Geelong over the journey and I think they also lost one against Port down in Tassie (now that one pissed me off).

Yes it is infuriating but starting out by saying players have their cards stamped. That's just loco.
Breust is done mate. Sad as it is, his time is over and cost us today.

I think there has to be an added pressure where you are not only one of the shortest top 5 picks but you also carry the label of the Wizard. He is a gun footballer, you can see elite qualities, I just think he is in his own head.
Hopefully the coaching staff can help him through it. I still think we took the right player in that draft.
Especially with Breust well on father time.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

This was a stinging loss for the Hawks.

Played well but reverted into our shells in the last qtr.

Pushing Hardwick and Day back was poor judgement from coaches box.

While first 3 quarters showed the improvement in the team, the pressure we applied was excellent and bar some goalkeeping yips we would have been 8 goals up at 3 qtr time

The last qtr showed a lack of belief from coaches box and players on the field. Port threw caution to the wind and no one stood up to be counted. We just tried to hang on and had some bad luck to concede 2 in last minute to lose.

Bruest as sub was a fail. We need speed when fatigue sets in. Our use of the sub has been poor all year.

Negative coaching and tactics killed us.

Ultimately if we come out and beat Lions next week all is forgiven, if we lose then the coaches need another review of their key messages when opposition gets a run on.

Losing from 41 point up mid way thru the third is very hard to take and understand when we were playing so well.

A mix of further player development and coaching team development needed here, both these inputs were poor in the last.

What could have been different, well Hardwick at full forward, Amon to wing for long kicking to position and Weddle as wildcard in middle are 3 viable options. McGuinnes as sub - another runner and bigger body in middle better than Bruest.

Again this loss stings ... we shot ourselves in the foot. Hopefully we don't take the negative feeling into next week's game as the Lions are gettable if we bring the heat for 4 quarters.

Last edited:
How did that turn out?
We were 28 points ahead. Did plenty right in that time. If you wish to focus purely on the last qtr, then you must think we are already flag contenders.

Punky we can all see that he is struggling with the pace of the game now. Been a champ for the club but he will now himself it is time to pass the baton over to the younger brigade.

Wiz does worry me, he so often goes down with the ball or makes a poor decision. I do think he needs some time in the VFL to let him settle down. Its not easy come into an AFL side at a young age and a high draft pick and so many expectations. Give him time and he will get better.

I want to add my 2 cents worth on these 2 players. A win today meant we had a chance of playing finals football this year, so many teams in the top 8 who really aren't that great, and a rejuvenated Hawthorn jumping out of their skin wouldn't be a team some of them would like to play right now.

Having said that, now finals chances have been put to bed, we have to realise we are looking at a future without Breust, and it may as well start from next week. Great career, 286 games, 530 goals, 3 premierships and an All-Australian selection, but sadly time has caught up with him. Maybe we need get game time into younger legs.

On the Wiz, not sure what to make of it. Like others, I think he will develop into a very good player, but I have to admit to being disappointed in what he has produced so far. I think the club should be entitled to expect a little more from a #5 pick. Do we keep playing him and get some games (and hopefully confidence) into him, or do we send him to the VFL, also for confidence? It's a tough call to make but based in the fact we're not likely to see much more from Breust and Gunston, we may be left with no choice.

I haven't been gutted by a loss like this for a very long time, so I'm desperately trying to be constructive.

This loss has a lot of the hallmarks of some of our losses last year. Be super competitive for 3 quarters before getting smashed in the last quarter.

The big difference this year is rather than just being competitive we are getting in front.

Sometimes we will hold on like against the saints and times will be like today when we lose.

Look out once we can play 4 quarters. It’s just part of being a young team. As heartbreaking as this loss was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This loss has a lot of the hallmarks of some of our losses last year. Be super competitive for 3 quarters before getting smashed in the last quarter.

The big difference this year is rather than just being competitive we are getting in front.

Sometimes we will hold on like against the saints and times will be like today when we lose.

Look out once we can play 4 quarters. It’s just part of being a young team. As heartbreaking as this loss was

100%.

Momentum is everything these days.

Good sides score with momentum and they are hard to score against when they don't have it.

That's the difference between our side and the better ones. We just aren't yet at a maturity to put on enough scoreboard pressure with the momentum and we aren't good enough to stop teams getting a run on.

We've improved a hell of a lot in both aspects though.

This year reminds me a lot of Brisbanes last year of being rubbish for an eternity before turning the corner.. Lots of good but just lack the finishing touches.. I can see this team being up to its necks in the pointy end of the season for years to come very soon.. The building blocks are there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Young players make mistakes, young coaches do the same.
I’m sure if Mitch had his time over he’d do that last quarter differently. We will learn as a group, but man that one stings.

Injuries - they had star players out too, let’s not kid ourselves.

Umpiring - we had the better of it in the first half. Let’s not kid ourselves.

Loved the look of Phillips.

Breust, freshest on the ground but looked the slowest. Love him but he either struggles to adjust to the pace coming on or it’s time.

The Wiz is going to be a champion of the club, love everything he brings but he looks stressed with ball in hand. Let him go back and beat up on some VFL players to get his confidence back. O’Sullivan looks a player let’s see what he’s got.

We are going to be a good side but heck that hurt today.
Bruest I agree l, he's done. At the very least it's not going to be feasible to carry both Gunners and Bruest into a game, it will be one or the other.

The Wiz is such a weird one. His defensive stuff is actually very good at the moment but he really is struggling with ball in hand. Which is weird as I watched his highlights from the under 18s and it struck me how good a decision maker he was at underage level. I think he needs to just give himself an extra step to assess and execute.

Meek was massive again today. Our ruck has gone from an area of weakness to a real strength with his arrival which is fantastic to see.

A few big points I want to get out there while they're fresh in mind:

Forward half comments:
- Ginnivan was huge for us today. He absolutely gets crucified by the media for anything he does, but jeez he was a leader out there. Giving voice constantly, taking the contest on and flying the flag and most importantly getting around anyone in brown and gold who did anything at all.
I'm absolutely thrilled with how he's performed so far, can't wait for another 10 years of his antics
  • Talking s**t about Chol's workrate should be punishable by getting chased down by him where you have a 5m head start. Immense pressure and great decision making today I thought
  • Right now, Dear and Watto are terrified of the big sticks, but jesus christ do they give their all and look like they're the pillars for our future success. Not enough made of Wattos taps, tackles and cheeky hands in all day- as soon as he finds his radar he's going to be a terror. Dear has taken football seriously for all of 24 months, if that. His hands are elite, as is his pressure. Bollocks to Walter from GCS, Dear will be the marquee player from the 23 draft.

Backline comments:
  • No Scrim and no Sic left us a little at sea for talls. Serong had a good defensive game I thought, but offensively was slow and second guessed himself. Give him time, but he isn't there yet
  • Easy looked good. Keep him in for another few I'd say.
  • Mitchell needs some love, had a great game bar two or three moments.
  • Frost is the kind of person you love to have on your side. Having an incredible season- see you in 2025

Midfield comments:
  • did their job
  • Meek started on fire, but as those around him lost confidence it was clear he did too
  • Welcome back, Cj.
  • Day lifts us all, him and Moore are future leaders. Give them co-captaincy when Sic hands over the band.

Coach comments:
  • Day going behind the play cost us massively in the end. Needed him around the pill.
  • Needed to be firmer on the tag on JHF. He was the sole reason they won that game, you can't convince me otherwise
  • Give the man all his magnets and I'm confident we don't go super defensive in the last; I think that was due to a little distrust of the conditions and young pillars.

Arguably the most important game for us to review. The tape will be worth its weight in gold when we're competing.
💯 👍

I think it was pretty clear the team was gassed at 3Q time. We tried to slow the game down by playing the boundary and getting repeat stoppages. Unfortunately Port are a very strong stoppage team and our defensive positioning was sloppy.

I reckon if we’d continued to attack we’d have maybe kicked another couple goals but Port would have kicked another 4 on top of what they did and we’d have lost the lead earlier.
This is correct

That result sucked...

... but there were so many positives. So many good things.

Be interesting to have a sliding doors thread if we beat Port. Posters would call players heroes, as opposed to duds. Great coaching moves, as opposed to fails.

Huge step forward for the team, today.

That result sucked.
This.

So good for so long...and then...shattering.

Like Sam in the press conference, at some stage I will be able to pick the good things out of this match...but not quite yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back