Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Zak Butters is a freak. Pick 12!

That result sucked...

... but there were so many positives. So many good things.

Be interesting to have a sliding doors thread if we beat Port. Posters would call players heroes, as opposed to duds. Great coaching moves, as opposed to fails.

Huge step forward for the team, today.

That result sucked.
Just go back and read last weeks autopsy vs the saints.
We were all heros despite not kicking a goal in the last and Ginnivan missing an absolute sitter.

Any game where we are competitive against good opposition is a step forward with such a young team. Given our injuries as well, that would have been a miracle on ice victory.

Unfortunately Port showed up in the last and got extremely lucky but they have some match winning players who got off the chain at stages.(Maguiness might have been handy in those conditions)

Let's give the Lions a shake next week. Hopefully we have left the Swans/ Gold Coast drubbings behind.

Last edited:
Still of the belief we lack leadership, however, I watched that last quarter again, along with the saints game the week before.l, and I'm wondering if we are intentionally going defensive to practice closing out a tight game when we are in front, almost tanking to a close finish.

If we know the oppo is going to be coming hard to try and make it look better, surely real match situations are better than just training?
There were times in clarksons early years when we would do similar

That result sucked...

... but there were so many positives. So many good things.

Be interesting to have a sliding doors thread if we beat Port. Posters would call players heroes, as opposed to duds. Great coaching moves, as opposed to fails.

Huge step forward for the team, today.

That result sucked.
One kick out of nearly 400 and it alters so many mindsets.

It was a damn good performance to get as far ahead as we were.

So a mature, contending, interstate team (with the full support of their rabid fans at ground) came roaring home and finally caught us with 5 seconds to go.

In the grand scheme of things it will mean nothing.

As some have said before, the review will be very useful indeed.

Even if you look at one stat, 10 scoring shots to 1, in the last quarter, you realise how gassed we were. Probably lucky not to lose by more, when you consider they missed 6 gettable shots.

Classic case of a young list running out of legs.

Of the 4 goals, 2 were from Rioli and 2 from DBJ. Who were their opponents? Seamus and Karl?
Shammy has played 20 games.

After a good night's sleep, my thoughts are:

Disappointed with the result but extremely proud of our young side's performance in the first three quarters, without the likes of Sic, Scrim and Lewis.

I'm inclined to believe Sam's assertion in his presser that the fourth quarter fade-out wasn't due to coaching instructions to sit back and defend. What our youngsters will learn from the loss and the hurt it will cause for a day or two before they reset for next week, will prove invaluable in the long run.

We're going to be very, very good in a year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if you look at one stat, 10 scoring shots to 1, in the last quarter, you realise how gassed we were. Probably lucky not to lose by more, when you consider they missed 6 gettable shots.

Classic case of a young list running out of legs.

Of the 4 goals, 2 were from Rioli and 2 from DBJ. Who were their opponents? Seamus and Karl?
Shammy has played 20 games.
Half way through the third there was a passage where Mass looked like he was running on sand.
Give it another couple pre-seasons with this fitness regime and we run over the top of those games.

Hopefully they're all taking a page out of Ginni's book

View attachment 1994680

I actually love ginni.
He's a rat but he's fun, and he's actually a very smart footballer.

He also seems like a footy fan living his dream, rather than an athlete who has a job

Still of the belief we lack leadership, however, I watched that last quarter again, along with the saints game the week before.l, and I'm wondering if we are intentionally going defensive to practice closing out a tight game when we are in front, almost tanking to a close finish.

If we know the oppo is going to be coming hard to try and make it look better, surely real match situations are better than just training?
There were times in clarksons early years when we would do similar
I'd like to think there's some truth in that but would be playing with fire a bit.
But then again who knows what Sammy's got up his sleeve.

My mail is that Harry OFarrell is the next Sam Taylor and this was the loss we had to have in order to secure our premiership full back. I mean who wins an unnecessary game when a transformational player is available.😉

After a good night's sleep, my thoughts are:

Disappointed with the result but extremely proud of our young side's performance in the first three quarters, without the likes of Sic, Scrim and Lewis.

I'm inclined to believe Sam's assertion in his presser that the fourth quarter fade-out wasn't due to coaching instructions to sit back and defend. What our youngsters will learn from the loss and the hurt it will cause for a day or two before they reset for next week, will prove invaluable in the long run.

We're going to be very, very good in a year or two.
The coaches decided to move Hardwick and Day back. Yet u believe Mitchell they were not instructed to play defensive.

Even if the coaches didn't say it directly, what did they players think when the magnets were spun that way in the last.

Lesson here, don't listen to what someone says observe what they do thru their actions.

Mitchell is as much to blame for 4th quater fade out as much as the players. His player movements led to the change in our playing style and loss.

Everyone has the right to their opinion just pointing out an alternative line of thinking from the - it was the players not the coaches problem here.

It was both the players and coaches fault.

Great effort for 3 qtrs, awful effort for 1 qtr. A wasted opportunity yesterday no doubt.

Can't get over how so many people feel "damaged" by this loss. I personally enjoyed that last quarter (except for the final minute or so) because the lads fought extremely hard and showed excellent defensive skills at holding a lead. As they had against the Bulldogs and Saints. I can remember how the Clarkson team struggled with this aspect of the game for many, many years until it finally didn't. This is a very big part of being a competitive team and the improvement in this area has been phenomenal. I think the next major focus for Sam and coaches is to work on playing in slippery conditions because the team just can't seem to be able to handle it - lots of fumbling, inability to gather or hold the ball, getting their bodies behind it etc. Also need to work out placing players who can and can't in terms of where they are played in these conditions and in context of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I am gutted as to how yesterday unfolded. In fact, it's taken me to now to be able to face any discussion about it.

BUT:

In the sober light of the next day, now much of the emotion has subsided, I view the game in a more rational light: the spark, energy and skill we displayed in getting ourselves into that potentially winning position against a strong side on their home dungheap I found to be pretty mindblowing, I did not expect that at all. I expected a hard-fought, reasonably competitive 3-6 goal loss. It's really only inexperience, from players AND coach, that lost us that game.

We have some serious players there - Day, Dimma, Weddle, Wiz, Duke, Worps, Nash, Amon, Moore, Dear etc, are all potential future premiership players. Some, of course, will be premiership role-players while other will be premiership superstars, the current versions of Hodge, Mitch, Ayres, Chief, Rough, Derm etc etc....

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Back