Preview Round 10: Essendon vs North Melbourne, Docklands, Sunday 23/05/2021, 4:40 PM AEST

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost think Perkins might be copping a Cox style rest, where he comes out of the 22 and becomes the sub.

Ambrose doesn't have the versatility to be a sub, so he's probably on the extended bench/emergency in case we end up resting Jones. Ditto for Bryan (back-up for Phillips) and Cahill (back-up for Perkins).

The only one who's definitely not gonna be in the 22/23 is Zaharakis, presumably so he can play a full VFL game on Saturday.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd rather rest Perkins for West Coast next week to get him fresh for Richmond.
Ambrose can play forward or back so I think he's versatile enough to be sub. He can also tag Cunnington if needed.

Interesting to see how we manage our side, but I'm liking Rutten's approach to team selection.

Ambrose doesn’t have versatility?!?! That’s his middle name, can play back mid or forward and can run all day
I'd rather rest Perkins for West Coast next week to get him fresh for Richmond.
Ambrose can play forward or back so I think he's versatile enough to be sub. He can also tag Cunnington if needed.

Interesting to see how we manage our side, but I'm liking Rutten's approach to team selection.
If Rutten thought Ambrose had the versatility to be a sub, he would've been picked as one last week or the week before. Instead we went with Guelfi as the sub against GWS and Cox as the sub last week. He's clearly viewed as the best available player to come in whenever Jones needs a rest and is therefore being saved for that.

If Rutten thought Ambrose had the versatility to be a sub, he would've been picked as one last week or the week before. Instead we went with Guelfi as the sub against GWS and Cox as the sub last week. He's clearly viewed as the best available player to come in whenever Jones needs a rest and is therefore being saved for that.
He's certainly been out of favour, but I don't believe versatility is the reason given Ambrose is versatile. I think age, form and building his fitness meant we looked to younger players (and Zaharakis).

6 goals is hard to ignore though. Only reason why I have him as a sub over the other emergencies.

He's certainly been out of favour, but I don't believe versatility is the reason given Ambrose is versatile. I think age, form and building his fitness meant we looked to younger players (and Zaharakis).

6 goals is hard to ignore though. Only reason why I have him as a sub over the other emergencies.
It's pretty easy to ignore though if you don't want to break him before you need him.

I wonder how important versatility in the sub is. Realistically we could put the next best available as the sub then swing another more versatile player to cover pretty much any player on the field.

I know that Rutten is on record saying that he doesn’t want to unsettle two lines of the field to replace one person... but we do have a lot of players who are now capable of playing well in a couple of roles.

Also, I’m not sure that Ambrose being overlooked for Guelfi and Cox is anything to do with his versatility (he’s played most positions on the field). Before last week Ambrose just didn’t look ready.

Don’t think that has anything to do with his versatility. More he wasn’t ready coming back from injury and were happy for him to spent a period of time in the vfl.

I wonder how important versatility in the sub is. Realistically we could put the next best available as the sub then swing another more versatile player to cover pretty much any player on the field.

I know that Rutten is on record saying that he doesn’t want to unsettle two lines of the field to replace one person... but we do have a lot of players who are now capable of playing well in a couple of roles.

Also, I’m not sure that Ambrose being overlooked for Guelfi and Cox is anything to do with his versatility (he’s played most positions on the field). Before last week Ambrose just didn’t look ready.
Don’t think that has anything to do with his versatility. More he wasn’t ready coming back from injury and were happy for him to spent a period of time in the vfl.
Forget that I mentioned versatility then. He's not gonna be the sub 'cause he's literally the only tall forward we have who can fill in for Jones whenever he needs a rest.

If he gets injured, we have no back-up in that area of the ground.

Pretty sure Perkins will end up being SUB & Zakka, Bryan and Cahill will all miss. Starting 22 could look like:

Francis Stewart Laverde
Heppell Ridley Redman
McGrath Merrett Cox
Waterman Jones Snelling
Hooker 2MP Tippa

Phillips Langford Parish

Bench: Hind Ham Guelfi Ambruise
SUB: Perkins

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we all know how this one goes - we charge out to an early 5 goal lead then start running ahead of the ball and trying dinky sideways passes, Goldstein feeds Cunnington ad nauseum til Norf are back in it, Before we know it we are in a contest where norf are now savage animals but we are still in cruise mode... the pressure builds and builds while some nondescript journeyman like josh walker kicks 5 straight including 2 from the boundary on his wrong side.

Still we somehow lead into the last minutes until the umpire pays an atrocious deliberate out of bounds and some norf clown kicks the goal

Cheers Howard. BF has a spoiler tag for a reason, y’know?

Pretty sure Perkins will end up being SUB & Zakka, Bryan and Cahill will all miss. Starting 22 could look like:

Francis Stewart Laverde
Heppell Ridley Redman
McGrath Merrett Cox
Waterman Jones Snelling
Hooker 2MP Tippa

Phillips Langford Parish

Bench: Hind Ham Guelfi Ambruise
SUB: Perkins

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is this the same as leg Ham?

Bryan, Cahill, Ambrose all named in the VFL. So the bench will be from Hind, Guelfi, Perkins, Ham and Zaka (who I expect to be sub).

I genuinely like North and want them to have success and financial stability, though at the same time I do love it when we beat them.

I guess it’s a strange relationship we have with them.
I agree. I want all clubs to have financial stability and success (albeit less than us at all times). Although I'd be happy if Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn stayed shit for quite some time.

Why is it horrible?
'Cause it means Zaharakis getting another game. I was fine with it when I figured Cahill was gonna replace him, but Zaharakis didn't look the best last week fitness wise. Would rather he be in the VFL again.

Hope he proves me wrong though.

I almost think Perkins might be copping a Cox style rest, where he comes out of the 22 and becomes the sub.

Ambrose doesn't have the versatility to be a sub, so he's probably on the extended bench/emergency in case we end up resting Jones. Ditto for Bryan (back-up for Phillips) and Cahill (back-up for Perkins).

The only one who's definitely not gonna be in the 22/23 is Zaharakis, presumably so he can play a full VFL game on Saturday.

Perkins as sub is far from the worst idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back