Review Round 11, 2024 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniher looks much more dangerous up the ground. For whatever reason he keeps running under the football i50 but is pretty damaging between the arcs ball in hand. Get him out further where he can run a bit, slide Rayner to the goal square and tell the smalls to stay on the floor.

If some one was to ask how I was feeling after that, I'd have to say, embarrassed.

Not good enough. Letting them waltz thru the front of a clearance, on-going problem now. We can't spread and run, can't chase. We've really got the yips infront of goal. Some players are really trying, some are half-arsed, some look lost at times. The coach is stale, 8yrs of 'learning from failures' must get tiring for the players. I know I'm sick of hearing it.

My head hurts evaluating what's going on and trying to envisage how to improve. Would rather talk about anything else right now.

Anyone, been fishing lately?
Fagan’s PC was nothing short but embarrassing for like the half dozenth time this year.

Any time a team runs the ball out of the front of the centre after the bounce it is a huge indictment on the midfield defence of their opponents.

There is the occasional genuinely unlucky bounce maybe once a game, but really if a team can run the ball in hand straight out of the front of the centre contest when numbers are even with 6-6-6, should happen rarely enough that a top midfield would be incredibly annoyed with themselves as a unit.

We had a patch of four or five restarts where Hawthorn did exactly that - straight out the front of the centre contest. That really is at a level of embarrassment that suggests both structural setup and effort are lacking.

I would keep Hugh. He had a down game and has always had troubles with consistency in front of goal, but he is quality.
Rayner and/or Bailey could be players who want a different environment at the end of season and have some trade value. I think Rayner is a great guy, but he’s lost in our structure it seems.
A couple of needs for the Lions.
Speed.
A big body mid/forward.
A leader.
I would trade Hugh and Cam for the Bont or similar.
I think we can find speed in the draft or locally.

Daniher looks much more dangerous up the ground. For whatever reason he keeps running under the football i50 but is pretty damaging between the arcs ball in hand. Get him out further where he can run a bit, slide Rayner to the goal square and tell the smalls to stay on the floor.
I really thought Joe had a crack again today.

It's annoying that the numpty press always pick on him for effort when imo his effort has been at a high level all year. Without getting a lot of decent supply.

Haven’t seen many posts about any of our “bests” today. Had a think about it myself and it’s pretty hard to name them. Lachie was pretty good as usual. Dunks tried hard and I thought Kai had another decent game.

Hard to think of too many that won their position today though.

Haven’t seen many posts about any of our “bests” today. Had a think about it myself and it’s pretty hard to name them. Lachie was pretty good as usual. Dunks tried hard and I thought Kai had another decent game.

Hard to think of too many that won their position today though.

For a young 18 year old, Morris stood up - kicked 2, took marks and competed as best as he can to even up the 1 on 1 contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep and now I’ve had a bit more of a think I thought Oscar wasn’t to bad at times. Also Morris continues to show signs, but we need far more from our senior guys and in particular that next tier (McCluggage, Rayner, Bailey and Berry).

Oscar was actually really good. Game high clearances and was back taking contested marks when he went a good stretch this year dropping everything.

I really thought Joe had a crack again today.

It's annoying that the numpty press always pick on him for effort when imo his effort has been at a high level all year. Without getting a lot of decent supply.
Easy target for the media..

His leading patterns just don’t suit our bomb it in without looking approach. Rayner much prefers the kamikaze contest under a high ball. Joe seems to be quite a good user of the ball and likes it in hand during open play. I wouldn’t hate him on the wing.

Oscar was actually really good. Game high clearances and was back taking contested marks when he went a good stretch this year dropping everything.

I don't think he was good at all. His clearances are those shank bat forwards. We went well in Q3 when Meek was off for the majority of it. Business as usual when he come back on and they dominate. I feel he offers very little in centre bounces. Our mids normally feed off 50/50 balls when it hits the deck from a neutral ruck contest.

Finally got home after going into the game today.
What a frustrating watch it was live.
Ryan kicks first goal then literally unsighted for 3qtrs. Can’t read the ball in the air, though delivery today was poor, and worked under it like Daniher. Was a poor decision to bring him in. Miles off it.
Our disposal around the ground and into the fwd 50 was appalling.
Missing targets consistently going fwd and absolutely burned on the rebound far too often.
Sloppy free kicks gifting goals and the amount of tackles broken or not held was infuriating.
Felt bad for sharp. Had a mare when he came on. Two htb that lead to goals and a selfish snap from 40 that wasn’t the right decision.
Was a long train ride home.

A couple of needs for the Lions.
Speed.
A big body mid/forward.
A leader.
I would trade Hugh and Cam for the Bont or similar.
I think we can find speed in the draft or locally.

Less concerned about big bodied mid to be honest. Berry has stepped up and Berry + Dunkley give us plenty in that space.

We need speed out of the middle and some players who complement Berry and Dunkley's defensive mindset.

Less concerned about big bodied mid to be honest. Berry has stepped up and Berry + Dunkley give us plenty in that space.

We need speed out of the middle and some players who complement Berry and Dunkley's defensive mindset.
We need a unicorn but 2 or 3 in swap could look appealing.

Not picking on Fages for his post match because he says the same thing every time we get done but it's seriously the time to get hold of an up and comer assistant with ambition whom we can build our list with for the next 5 or 6 years.

The lack of effort and progression in a lot of players who were potential A graders is telling and to see Neale running around there doing it all by himself was an indictment on their progress.

Always best to bite the bullet as early as possible in to the tell tale signs.

We need a unicorn but 2 or 3 in swap could look appealing.

I'd use the one in hand first.

I think Brain has all the traits to play outside mid and has pace to cover a few. We need to let him play in Hugh's spot or give him Rayner/Bailey's minutes in the middle. It'll be quite telling when he chases down the ball carrier compared to our ball watching midfield group (minus Dunkley and Berry).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 11, 2024 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Back