Review Round 13, 2023 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

“Illegal shepherding” would be wrong, even if in the goal square, right? So, I believe it was paid “blocking the mark”.

Having said that, I don’t know if that call would be right either.
I look at it this way, if it was reversed, and a forward is leaping for a mark, and the defender with no eyes on the ball does that to him ... It is a free kick every time!

IMO it was the correct call by the umpire.

The reversals are astounding-

Lycett from underperforming sanfl player to embarrassing the all Australian ruckman
Lachie Jones from ordinary sanfl player to Brownlow votes
Williams from a slow failed forward to a competitive composed and rarely beaten lockdown defender
The worst forward entry team to maybe the best inside 12 months
A team that loses the close ones to one that can’t seem to lose them
Byrne Jones from liability in defence to a real asset up forward
McEntee from McEntee to an actual AFL player- it suddenly looks like an inspired mid season draft pick
Lachie Jines was being played out of position, he runs in straight lines off the halfback line, up forward he had to get the ball and turn around that is not one of his strengths.

Tonight I felt a calmness watching this game that I haven't felt in years. No abuse at the players or game plan. No abuse at the umpires..... well just a little. First time in 20 years the missus hasn't left the room during the game because of my swearing at the TV.

We have the best accumulation of talented footballers since 04 but much younger.

I'm a believer and it feels good.

Scott Lycett was a buckled wheel 6 weeks ago, tonight he has just pansted the best ruckman in the AFL staggering form reversal.
I'm starting to think that he was trying to play through his back injury at the start of the season. It wasn't just that he was struggling with football,, he was struggling with just getting around the field.

After him being dropped to the SANFL didn't get through a game before going down with his back injury. After getting his back right, came back into the SANFL, played significantly better. We even rested him from half way through the third in his last SANFL game. And since being back in the AFL, he's moving much better and looking more like his combative best.

I was half asleep, phoning it in before the ball had bounced but am now wired like a coke head. If this is what it feels like to be kissed on the Dick by the umps than I understand Bailey Smiths recreational indiscretions. The boy was just jonesing for an ump bump!
The free kick count was 19-20 in our favour. Just imagine what it would feel like if we got on the good end of a Dogs-like umpiring performance.

I think we gotta give credit to Lachie jones, last few games he’s really stepped up in the backline. Had a rough start but I think he’s really starting to show his talent.

how did sin go I only saw bits of him, few things made me scratch my head

butters JHF rozeee wow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were real in 2020 and 2021, and yet…
We still relied a lot on individual brilliance to win games back then. We have a gameplan and system this year that we are sticking to thats working.

Its what Ive said for ages. The list is there but its coaching that delivers success.

The game is 99% half mental.

We've got a couple of players who will not be beaten, Butters who has to be Brownlow favourite he is now peak Ablett along with JHF and it rubs off.

Never at any point against the Dogs did I think the Dogs were going to get over us.

Whenever the Dogs got close I just believed Butters will not let us lose, JHF will not let us lose, Rozee will not let us lose and even in the last quarter Lycett will not let us lose.

The Dogs were on that's the best I've seen them play all year. It was a very good win and Port are a very good team.

The game is 99% half mental.

We've got a couple of players who will not be beaten, Butters who has to be Brownlow favourite he is now peak Ablett along with JHF and it rubs off.

Never at any point against the Dogs did I think the Dogs were going to get over us.

Whenever the Dogs got close I just believed Butters will not let us lose, JHF will not let us lose, Rozee will not let us lose and even in the last quarter Lycett will not let us lose.

The Dogs were on that's the best I've seen them play all year. It was a very good win and Port are a very good team.
So 49.5% mental?

10 wins in a row

Bohemian Rhapsody Silhouette GIF by Queen

“Illegal shepherding” would be wrong, even if in the goal square, right? So, I believe it was paid “blocking the mark”.

Having said that, I don’t know if that call would be right either.

The bizarre bleating from the commentators that they've never seen that paid in 20 years. They paid one against buddy 2 nights ago.

Every time there's a close goal and the defender gets blocked out there's comments about how they "disguised it well". You can't just take someone out of the contest with no eyes on the ball.

Under the Laws of Australian Football, a player can shepherd an opposition player when the ball is within five metres, with the exception of contests where players contest the ball in the air, i.e. marking contests and ruck contests, or when the ball is not in play.

Honestly, he is a better player than peak Robbie ever was. Robbie never had the speed and footskills than Zac has.
I agree with this.

I adored peak Robbie, and it feels wrong to use him in comparison to Zak, but Robbie's situatuonal/spacial awareness compensated for his lack of speed, which sadly got shown up late in his career.

Zak is the complete player. Forget the Walsh/Rozee/Bradshaw hyperbole. This bloke will be the best of the lot.

Not so sure about the fast attractive footy bit but we were more direct last night. The WB had 70 more possessions but we were far more efficient.

Lycett gave English a bath in the ruck. Scott won the hit outs 43-20 and Butters and co capitalised.

For once we were not crucified by the umps. We copped a couple of rough decisions but we got a couple of charities as well. I am still trying to understand why Todd Marshall got that free just before quarter time. Aliir was also lucky not to get pinged for holding the ball in front of the Bulldogs goal. They were lucky breaks for us but I figure we are due a few on the umpiring front.

Our record at Marvel Stadium in recent times is phenomenal as we have won our last nine there with our last loss in 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 13, 2023 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back