Review Round 13 - St. Kilda @ Marvel Stadium - 8th June 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

To use an old boxing adage, We can't let these games go to the judge's.

We absolutely needed to blow them off the park and we failed at that.

That said, We were absolutely on the receiving end of some contentious decisions. And it changed the result.

That's me as a mod, that's as nice and professional as you'll get from me.

Me as a fan of this footy club... Let's just say I'm ready to throw hands.

What I love about this, is I truly believe you will never forget and will give him hell at people first for years to come.
Just did some basic googling
Who is a good ole boy from Haileybury?

Yep Paul Rebeschini #31

Good job Paul. You sure made your mark tonight on Mac and the GC.

What I love about this, is I truly believe you will never forget and will give him hell at people first for years to come.
I still never forget umpire Matthew Nicholls (aka Mr baldy). He's horrendous and would give diabolical decisions against us even on our home deck

JUst an observation from Richmond supporter thats watched Dimma's game plan for over a decade

The St Kilda defence was running the ball out of defence as they liked and there was no pressure in the foward line
Dimma's game plan at Richmond always consisted of foward pressure usually applied by 3-4 small fowards that were defend chase tackle and if they kicked goals that was the bonus..

Tonight i didnt see any semblance of that but hopefully Rosas , Lombard & Rogers become the players that will be the small fowards that fill that role

Good Luck for the rest of the year guys , It will come and have faith in Dimma

Sh*t call, but we put ourselves in that position by completely playing into St Kilda’s hands so what can you do.

Midfield once again got spanked in clearances and contested possessions on the road. It’s a bit concerning that Hardwick is seemingly falling into the trap Dew did where we live and die by the midfield 3. Touk getting absolutely pantsed with the tag yet no change made once again. Our midfielders just lack the ability to move into another position to work into the game apparently. Humphrey with 0 CBAs and floundering at half forward when he was meant to be our game breaker also puzzling.

St Kilda would’ve been very happy that our back 7 had half the team’s disposals. We are the most impotent team coming out of the backline in the comp and it really makes you question where the f*ck Craig Cameron/Dew were going with this list build when that is so critical in today’s game. We’ve had to throw Flanders, Sexton, Jeffrey down there due to a complete lack half-backs on the list and they are all learning on the run.

Unfortunately I think that’s our season pretty much done. Had the chance to break the away hoodoo and generate real momentum at 8-5 and we failed miserably. Some of the young guys are already starting to tire and I have very little faith in our experienced group to keep their heads up given all they know is rolling lamely into a dissappointing season end. There are also a few ‘highly regarded’ players who we are paying top dollar that I have real concerns around their ability to stand up and be trusted in a finals like atmosphere when they fail to stand up in games like tonight. Anyway, off to continue to drown the memory of that game out.

Sigh.

I feel like its time for my early reminder that while we can disagree with umpiring decisions, There is a line when it comes to vilifying and going after specific umpires by name.

I trust you all to know where the line is and I won't have to wack any of you over the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

Umpires are human too and I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone came into your place of employment and abused the crap out of you. (For those of us that get that at work anyway, I feel you. People suck)

Sidenote: The above doesn't mean im still not mad. I am. I'm just the designated adult tonight

JUst an observation from Richmond supporter thats watched Dimma's game plan for over a decade

The St Kilda defence was running the ball out of defence as they liked and there was no pressure in the foward line
Dimma's game plan at Richmond always consisted of foward pressure usually applied by 3-4 small fowards that were defend chase tackle and if they kicked goals that was the bonus..

Tonight i didnt see any semblance of that but hopefully Rosas , Lombard & Rogers become the players that will be the small fowards that fill that role

Good Luck for the rest of the year guys , It will come and have faith in Dimma
Completely agree. Dimma needed more pressure from guys like Humphrey and Ainsworth out there today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the amount of neutrals that have come in here offering their thoughts/condolences on the Mac free kick says it all.

What angered us at the game was the fact that Max King initiated the contact first and rag dolled Mac first and then Mac tried to reposition himself after Max had thrown him around and as soon as he did that the umpire blew his whistle of course. The umpire was watching them jostling for position the whole time but as soon as Mac tried to reposition himself the umpire couldn’t wait to blow his whistle and penalise him. Also this had no impact on the game whatsoever as the ball was well over 100 metres away. Absolute joke.

Also, what the cameras didn’t show is all night Mac was being rag dolled/bumped off the ball by saints players continually.

For mine I just wish the umpires would put their whistles away in the dying stages and not give free kicks in front of goal which decide the game one way of another. It just ruins the game and leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

I also agree with what Dimma said in his presser, both players were at each other jostling for position so why just penalise one?

The kings cup was very bitter in the end. What an average way to finish the game. Bit poetic really.
To be fair, we should've been blasted away in that first half.
Onto Freo after the bye. Being a WA supporter, I'll be there, hopefully a few more can be there to pants Freo on their home deck, it's not too inconceivable, is it?

Bought a suns scarf and went to the game and cheered y’all on. My three big takeaways were:
1. You struggled massively to move the ball against Rossball. He plays a terrible gamestyle by you never really adjusted.
2. Your forward defensive work was poor and allowed the saints to transition way too easily. Ainsworth frustrates me as a player. But berry and Humphrey were poor as well.
3. You were reamed by umps. Especially that king goal late. Not having a big concentrated suns presence at the game hurt as there was no noise of affirmation for the umps.

The kings cup was very bitter in the end. What an average way to finish the game. Bit poetic really.
To be fair, we should've been blasted away in that first half.
Onto Freo after the bye. Being a WA supporter, I'll be there, hopefully a few more can be there to pants Freo on their home deck, it's not too inconceivable, is it?
Haha, with our performances on the road, Freo will kill us.

Bought a suns scarf and went to the game and cheered y’all on. My three big takeaways were:
1. You struggled massively to move the ball against Rossball. He plays a terrible gamestyle by you never really adjusted.
2. Your forward defensive work was poor and allowed the saints to transition way too easily. Ainsworth frustrates me as a player. But berry and Humphrey were poor as well.
3. You were reamed by umps. Especially that king goal late. Not having a big concentrated suns presence at the game hurt as there was no noise of affirmation for the umps.
RTB will be put in the box at Gabba. What a s**t game style. We're young but this one was on Dimma. Poor coaching.

I slept on it, listened to Dimma's presser and have to say I am even more unhappy with Dimma. He was outcoached.

He acknowledged that we chose to play young which I agree with although too young sometimes in my opinion.

What pisses me off is his stubbornness with his system. Not only he refuses to tag but also refuses to make changes to his system when things are not working.

As for Windhager's tag. It was a good battle. When umpires allow constant grabbing, holding, wrestling it's up to teammates to help Touk and step up. It rarely happened. Moving Touk around is another logical option. Touk can run all day, play on the wing, forward, back. Humphrey was close to useless forward, swapping him with Touk is just one example. No, Dimma believes that his plan, system will eventually prevail. Dimma's argument was we were not playing fast enough to utilize Touk properly. Just maybe you should instruct the team to play faster, take the game on.

Obviously, our contest and clearance work (supposedly our strength from Dew's time) were not up to it for the whole game. And that's against very average Saints midfield. The numbers are damning. No response after terrible start again. We did improve in 2nd half. So, we focus on fixing bad starts and somehow start again with less intensity. Basically, waiting for what opposition will come up with.

Constant chipping. You are not winning with that against Saints. What's the point of Flanders possessions? Just to give Saints time to set up their defence. How about to instruct players to dare, to take some risk, increase pressure, intensity. To accept RTB terrible way of playing was damning for Dimma. Make adjustments. Dimma's belief in his system to finally prevail is annoying me.

I still remember people criticizing Dew's plan. Yesterday was even worse. That was a shocking display in first half. Unwatchable. Surely, that's not the attractive style we are supposed to play, with crazy forward pressure a feature (largely non-existent).

For me, the positives were Uwland, Collins, Long, Graham. I thought this was Jeffrey's probably the best game recently. Moyle has some way to go around the ground but competed well.

Could Anderson and Rowell stand up?

Sure, we are young, putting games into young talented players and during the season there will be stinkers but that type of style we displayed yesterday is disappointing for me. Lack of pressure, intensity is also discouraging. We can play young but that does not prevent putting effort in.

BTW, Saints were better team for 3 quarters and deserved to win.

Yes, umpiring was shocking but we know it will happen on the road. Only 17K crowd.

Lukosius miss was very costly. He can't be missing those. That was one of turning points.

Several times not having players on goal line wrestling was inexcusable. It cost us the game in case of Ainsworth's set shot.

Tough trip to Perth awaits. Freo will probably kills us if we play like this.

Witts and Powell probably in replacing Moyle and Sexton. Forward line needs to be re-energized. We could see some of Rosas, Rogers even Farrar in. Holman, Berry, Humphrey had stinkers. Day in for Walter could be on the cards too.

Last edited:
Good to see Dixon and Riewoldt reiterating strongly on Fox Footy after Dimma’s presser that it was NOT a free kick against Mac and that that type of situation is always going to be weighted towards favouring the forwards. Riewoldt went as far to say that it had a direct result on the outcome of the game. Hard to argue with that.

Good to see Dixon and Riewoldt reiterating strongly on Fox Footy after Dimma’s presser that it was NOT a free kick against Mac and that that type of situation is always going to be weighted towards favouring the forwards. Riewoldt went as far to say that it had a direct result on the outcome of the game. Hard to argue with that.
Crazy Cornes called it a garbage decision 😂

WTF has happened to Holman, he has for weeks been unsighted and useless. The exact opposite of what he made his name on tough tackles, sneaky goals against the momentum, superb kick to advantage and forward pressure. He is just so far away from that now, is he cooked or so badly out of form? He must only be getting games based on his prior form because he is nowhere for us, he doesn't even seem to know how to read the play anymore

Holman Fiorini and Sexton should be put out to pasture and get Rosas, Powell and maybe Farrah in for the duration. We will not make the 8 this year playing dead weight. Berry, Ainsworth and Humphrey need to do a lot more as well. 2025 or we'll see another exodus - and will not blame them (or maybe I will blame some of them). Graham and Uwland showing how we should play - bodies on line etc and yep, I'm looking at you Jack Lukosius but not the only one. Lombard should make a difference next year. Too much old wood hurting the young blood - Jed Walter not yet ready but he at least tries harder than all this fossilised wood we have hanging around. Swallow did more in half a game than these guys did in a whole game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 13 - St. Kilda @ Marvel Stadium - 8th June 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back