Review Round 17 - North Melbourne @ Marvel Stadium - 6th July 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I said it at the time, and I’ll drag out the receipts if I have to. If we were ever going to overpay a player to keep them, we should have done it with Rankine.

He was unequivocally not the player to draw the line in the sand with regarding overpaying. we won’t see a small forward of his calibre again for a long time.
We could of offered him a million a year. He was going to Adelaide regardless.

After all the amount of legs up, it's a travesty.

Bro you forgetting 8 weeks ago?
28543c5ea4e0990d8f8b52fa44c16ff3.jpg

Well as you know because you are a smart man that wasn’t my meaning by 🤐.

However, your last sentence is an interesting one isn’t it.

The only one that ever really tried to challenge the lads like that was Eade. He publicly kept saying that the baseline effort wasn’t there consistently. But Eade’s years were shockingly hampered by outrageously long injury lists and GAJ being a distraction rather than an asset.

No way did McKenna or Dew ever put them on notice like today.

It’s potentially exciting and if they don’t respond then the trade period might be brutal.
There were a lot of interesting quotes from his presser:

"We just need to grow up as a footy club, to be perfectly frank."

"We give ourselves enough opportunities but we don't play our moments."

"It's my job as the coach to demand better."

"At the moment we're capable of beating the premiership favourites last week and then this week we let ourselves down."

"I'm angry, to be fair, and as a footy club we need to grow the f*%$ up to be honest."

"We've been in this situation too many times. It's up to me and the match committee to get our boys going."

"If you put on a Suns jumper then you need to play the game a certain way. You don't get to pick or choose."

"At the moment we're not where we need to be. It's reflective on me as a coach and our organisation as well."

"We've got to demand better. We're not here to make up numbers. Enough is enough."

"We've got to dig deep, double down on what we're doing and get the result we're after. We need to forge our way into finals."

"We've just got to find a way to get through that storm because at the moment we're just short."

"This football side is better than they know. They've just got to find a way."

"It happens at every club that at some stage you have to grow up. That's my job to help them and I'm a part of it. I want to be a part of it. I'm dying for us to get there, but we're not there yet. We've got to find that way to get through it."

"They're capable, I'm telling you. They're really capable this group of players."

"We've lost a couple here by less than a goal. I want us to sit here and talk about winning these games and we're not at the moment. So we've got some work to do in that space."

"I reckon every club goes through a period where they're sort of there or abouts, but they're neither here nor there, which is a funny thing to say. At the moment we're going through that and we've got a really good understanding of what it looks like when we play our best footy, but we've also got some areas that we need to sit down and figure out. When push comes to shove, why are we getting let down in this part of the game?"

Thought Moyle was great. Up against the inform ruck in the comp and whilst he didn’t take the points he played bloody well.
He showed heart, one of far too few

Decided I won’t be coming back to Melbourne to support the club in the future, frankly they are not worthy of the effort. Decided to put the annual Melbourne trip funds toward a Yamaha V Star to cruise around the GC and hinterland

Decided I won’t be coming back to Melbourne to support the club in the future, frankly they are not worthy of the effort. Decided to put the annual Melbourne trip funds toward a Yamaha V Star to cruise around the GC and hinterland
Maybe the players could donate their weekly salary to pay back all those who wasted their hard earned to fly down and witness that demoralising effort...but they won't.

I wouldn't be coming back down until they prove that they've changed their spots

Yeah
Today was just an awful experience akin to having acid poured into my eye for 3 hours
Cold miserable hole watching a team that shouldn’t be on the same ground as us get a sniff and with a bit of friendly umpiring lunged for the post and got there
Shout out to the cheer squad
Please come to Carrara
I won’t be going back

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I said the exact same thing after the game.
Well. Except the yahama part
I dont know what I’ll divert my money to at this stage. Open to suggestions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah
Today was just an awful experience akin to having acid poured into my eye for 3 hours
Cold miserable hole watching a team that shouldn’t be on the same ground as us get a sniff and with a bit of friendly umpiring lunged for the post and got there
Shout out to the cheer squad
Please come to Carrara
I won’t be going back

Great point SandyToes about the cheer squad, we were a bay over ( my youngest son and brand new BF Suns poster, love ya mate) they were loud, proud and passionate, basically everything the team wasn’t

I said the exact same thing after the game.
Well. Except the yahama part
I dont know what I’ll divert my money to at this stage. Open to suggestions
Buy a bike brother and we can cruise the cares away

I don't mean to sound disloyal but I'm not adverse to placing emotional hedge bets against the Suns. Funnily enough I was reminded to check the odds by an anti-gambling ad at the ground at quarter time. North were paying $5.20 for the win at quarter time. I had no confidence as we were outplayed in the first quarter.

Unfortunately as I was at the game with my 11 yo daughter didn't feel it was appropriate to be calling up to put on a live bet in front of her and let it go. Oh well a lose-lose day.

I wasn’t there so I don’t have that element of hurt you have and I respect that.
BUT
We lost by 4
North absolutely played their hearts out their effort and pressure was enormous
We had our chances to win.
Those other guys who I cannot name also did their bit.
The North crowd were desperate for a win and played their part.

Bring on Port Adelaide next week.
It happens. See you at Mini GF #5.

We played bad, but so are the premiership favourites (or close to it) Carlton. It happens, and now we have no option but to bounce back. I love dimmas comments and gain confidence that this could be a real sliding doors moment for this team and the club. Looking forward to the response.

Great point SandyToes about the cheer squad, we were a bay over ( my youngest son and brand new BF Suns poster, love ya mate) they were loud, proud and passionate, basically everything the team wasn’t

We have really orbited around each other for the past 15 years haven’t we?
We were 1 bay over from the cheer squad bottom section with my 2 boys
Bloody awful viewing at the ground
Couldn’t see the top of the posts and their screen is crap and filled with ads
At least at Carrara you get closeup viewing of the game on the bigscreen when the actions on the other side

I didn’t really want to believe that the Suns were a bottom four side on the road, but if there was any doubt, it was confirmed viciously on Saturday. They just adamantly demand to be a timid mid-table side at all cost. Part of me is reassured by the result today, my beloved Suns remain the unserious outfit I fell in love with and aren’t ready for big boy footy just yet......

They deserve all the heat they will get from the press this week, the only answer is to put Port away and get a result in Sydney in a fortnight. Get the scores on the doors! Have whatever players only meetings you like, plan the trip to the minute, whatever it takes lads we need road Ws.

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/07/06/2024-r17-the-quintessential-suns-performance/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back